Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After waiting for longer than I'd like to mention, my Dean Ace X-Lite CTI is finally done. OMG the carbon/ti is beautiful! I hope after riding it, it will be worth the wait. The pics are with my training wheelset, which comes out to about 22lbs. The last upgrade will be either Stan's or Hope 2-piece rotors. Will Stan's work with Formula's?

Name Weight (g)
Frame Dean ACE X-Lite XL with RP23 2430
Fork Manitou R7 Platinum (uncut) 1478
Wheels Custom 1345
Rims Stan's Olympic
Hubs 2006 AC Disc w/ Ceramic Bearings
Spokes Revolution
Nipples Aluminum
Rim Tape Stan's Yellow Tape
Valve Stan's Valve 13
Skewers FRM Pro QR 73
Pedals Egg Beater Four Ti 168
Crankset FRM Integral 730
Cassette XTR M960 11-32 238
F. Der XTR M960 Top Pull 132
R. Der SRAM X.0 Med cage 196
Brakes Formula Oro Puro 689
Shifters SRAM X.0 Gripshift 170
Chain SRAM PC-99 Hollowpoint 265
Bar Easton EC70 OS Riser 174
Stem Ritchey 4-Axis 110mm 6deg 121
Seatpost Extralite The Post 2 27.2x400mm 181
Clamp Extralite The Clamp 13
Saddle Specialized Toupe (143mm wide) 164
Headset FRM Worldcup C-Set 103
Tires Racing Ralph 2.1 950
Grips Titec Pork Rinds (cut) 22
Chainstay Protector Lizard Skin Jumbo 14
Bottle Cage King Ti (with bolts) 40
Headset Spacers Carbon 20mm 8
Cable and Housing Nokon 81
Misc Grease, dirt, Stan's sealant, etc. 82
Total 9798 g
21.60 lbs

Attachments

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Nice job and she looks really nice......

Was this a custom job? if so, why where you not measured for it?

It looks like you have over 380-40omm of seatpost out or even more?
They frame seems a bit small for you. But if if you fit and don't mind that much post showing, then enjoy it!!!

OH! take the plastic of the FD ;) :eekster:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I considered a custom frame, but the XL came out very close. The post is only 400mm long, and there's about 250mm showing, the pic must be misleading.

oops, thanks for noticing the plastic. I also haven't cut the steerer tube on the fork yet.

Just went for a short ride and the fork seems a bit notchy and flexy. I'm about 175lbs and am used to a F100x. The R7 noticeably bends when I pop the front lever. I am wondering if I should switch back to the Fox.

The RP23 is badass, I can make that thing feel like a hardtail, a cush trailbike, and everything in between without changing the psi.

No noticeable flex in the FRM's either, I am really impressed with the whole drivetrain and rear triangle of the frame. It seems like every bit of force you put on the pedals is transferred right to the wheel. Definitely stiffer than my Truth/Deus setup.

More reviews to come...

·
Faller - Expert Class
647 Posts
Yup, definitely make sure that there's enough of the Extralite seatpost in the frame. I think they recommend at least 90mm (at least for the 360mm). I made that newb mistake and ended up kissing an '05 Kona King Kikapu frame goodbye. What better reason to upgrade to the '06 Kona Leroi I'm riding now?!?!

Nice ride!! I usually cut the steerer tube down on my rides, but I know some people leave it. Also as Dirt Boy said, take the plastic off of the FD!!:p

Again, sweet ride! Let us know how it performs on the trails!

:cool:

·
The Other Dude
3,080 Posts
that is one sweet bike! If you decide not to put the fox 100x back onto it, let me know, ill buy it off ya! i would like to put it on my 07 epic marathon. :thumbsup:

·
Cassoulet forever !
2,260 Posts
Nice bike, but sorry i have to ask an obvious question:
Why don't you get a 29"er ?

My 26" bkes look the same as yours, and my ridding life change the day i tried a 29"er. No more otb, a nice looking bike, more stability while on the edge in the turns. It really feels better.

Give it a try. Dean make some !

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Mr. Scary said:
If that's only 250mm of post showing I suspect you brag that you are John Holmes but your ex-girlfriends (or boyfriends-not that there's anything wrong with that but Axis II wants to keep this board all PC) refer to you as Pee Wee.
LOL!!! PC? Do you mean Power Cordz? That's right, Power Cordz should be standard issue on any WW rig.:D

·
Registered
682 Posts
I've always wondered about how to spec out a full susp to only weigh 21 pounds. Thanks for the parts list.

Enjoy the ride!

·
A Real Winner.
863 Posts
That is a totally sweet ride! I'm just curious, but did you weigh the frame+shock before the build? I'd be curious to know how much that weighs.

Sweet bike though. I wish you would let me ride it.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Mr. Scary said:
If that's only 250mm of post showing I suspect you brag that you are John Holmes but your ex-girlfriends (or boyfriends-not that there's anything wrong with that but Axis II wants to keep this board all PC) refer to you as Pee Wee.
dude, that is funny

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The frame+shock is 2430g, or 5.35lbs.

I thought about a 29er, but I'm not interested in racing on a hardtail (in CO) and I'm not convinced of any 29er full suspension design yet (although I haven't ridden the Ace 29er yet). Plus 26ers are lighter, this is a WW board right? I have a Carver 96er SS and that big wheel up front is fun as hell, but I feel like head tube angles need to increase on 29ers to make them more agile for racing. Plus the 29er rear wheel is somewhat unnecessary. Maybe I'll switch when someone sells a good WW 29/26 full suspension frame.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts