Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a 20t chain ring on a new bike that's coming soon. (Asthma makes all my trips start at the equivalent of 8,500ft altitude.) https://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/cryin.gif:cryin:

Unless I tell the shop otherwise, I'll be getting an XT crank, but what research I have done says a 20t chain ring won't fit.

Who has installed a 20t recently? What deraileurs do you have?
Is it working OK?
What doesn't work OK?

There was a thread on this forum 2 years ago, and I followed all those leads but came up empty.

·
Derailleurless
9,119 Posts
I didn't think 20T fit, but Speedgoat lists an Action Tec 20T 64BCD, currently out of stock. Maybe some light filing will be required? I'd email them. Speedgoat's customer service is solid and they'll let you know if it really exists.

They do show a 21T available.

·
Registered
711 Posts
You can get a 20t chainring if you're running a 58/94mm BCD spider. Might require replacing your crankset with something with a replaceable spider (Surly Mr Whirly as sorta-cheap). Currently I'm running a 20t Salsa on my Profile cranks....also sorta cheap but farqing heavy.

Another option would be a mountain tamer. You need a 74mm spider (I think), but you can run as low as a 17t with it. It looks a bit cludge-o-matic, but it works great. I have a 18-28-36 setup on my other bike using a mtn tamer. Check it out at http://www.abundantadventures.com/quads.html

·
RHRF!
1,267 Posts
Are we talkin' about a 4-Bolt Crank?

...because I've been using a 20t ring for over three years now on my RF Deus crankset. I have a Boone Ti 20t ring but I just purchased an extra Action Tec Ti 20t 4-bolt last month as a backup - because Boone's are VERY hard to get and I know that AT only makes a run of Ti rings every so often. I got my AT ring at Cambria Bike.

I use a regular front dérailleur and I have never had any shifting issues.

I've also used the 20t steel AT ring for years on my old 5-bolt cranks (58/94) also, without any issues.

However, my climbing issues are related to 'blubber' instead of air...

·
mbtr member
6,515 Posts
rcktscitst said:
I want to get a 20t chain ring on a new bike that's coming soon. (Asthma makes all my trips start at the equivalent of 8,500ft altitude.)
20t is powerful small. I may be way off base, but pushing a taller gear is a strength thing, not a respiratory thing. I know i was able to clean a bunch of stuff i previously couldn't by getting rid of the small gears and thus building strength. If it were me, i'd take 3-4 rides on the 22t, and just slow down my cadence when i ran out of air. It's easier too!

I have nothing on topic to contribute.

·
NMBP
2,163 Posts
rcktscitst said:
Unless I tell the shop otherwise, I'll be getting an XT crank, but what research I have done says a 20t chain ring won't fit.

Who has installed a 20t recently? What deraileurs do you have?
Is it working OK?
What doesn't work OK?

There was a thread on this forum 2 years ago, and I followed all those leads but came up empty.
You can look here and you can also look at these.

You shouldn't talk about such low gearing in public, it's not very manly, and you will be chastised.:nono:

·
Some Assembly Required
4,054 Posts
scottzg said:
20t is powerful small. I may be way off base, but pushing a taller gear is a strength thing, not a respiratory thing. I know i was able to clean a bunch of stuff i previously couldn't by getting rid of the small gears and thus building strength. If it were me, i'd take 3-4 rides on the 22t, and just slow down my cadence when i ran out of air. It's easier too!

I have nothing on topic to contribute.
I agree w/scottzg. I would give th' 22t a decent shot. Don't allow yourself to be defeated mentally before you start. If you're gonna run that 20t ring, you better order a bunch of'em if yer riding w/any frequency. In my experience, it is a strength thing. I went from 22-32 to 24-24 w/out much effort. Now when I went to 26-36 there was a serious difference in the effort it took to keep the 26t crankin', but "I eventually got there". That said, I don't have asthma, so you know better than I/we do about what yer bod can/cannot do.
Good Luck w/it.

·
NMBP
2,163 Posts
man w/ one hand said:
I agree w/scottzg. If you're gonna run that 20t ring, you better order a bunch of'em if yer riding w/any frequency.
That doesn't make any sense for normal riding. I use my 20 tooth about 1/10 of my ride, at the most. It's there for when I need. It's not like I have a 1 X 9 with a 20 in the front. Photos of my 20 and 31 tooth after 2+ years on the only bike I ride.

Attachments

·
Some Assembly Required
4,054 Posts
crashtestdummy said:
That doesn't make any sense for normal riding. I use my 20 tooth about 1/10 of my ride, at the most. It's there for when I need. It's not like I have a 1 X 9 with a 20 in the front. Photos of my 20 and 31 tooth after 2+ years on the only bike I ride.
I run a 26-36-bashgaurd w/11-34 cassette and I have to change my chainrings at least 2 times a yr, most yrs 3 times if I'm riding through the winter months. I ride an area that has some sweet dh runs punctuated by creek crossings and climbs that last from 10 mins to 1 - 1 1/2 hrs. All of this on a 44 lb VP Free. Yee Haa !!!! Luv it, luv it.

FYI - I run Race Face rings on Saint cranks = bomb proof.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.