Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
God, so I HAD a nice AM bike, but then I took it all apart :D

some of you know, I'm in the process of building a SS AM bike. I want it to be VERY light. most likely in the 25-27 pound range. right now, I've got a Manitou Splice Comp fork. its started squeaking ! only manitou that has ever failed me.

so I need something to replace it. I dont have a ton of cash, so... I was going to get a 150mm Z.1, but my frame changed. so I'm looking for a 130mm fork. nothing really fancy ...just not squeaking and being flexy as hell.

so, the two forks I'm compairing are a 2005 Dropoff Comp. 20mm through axle 130mm of travel roughly 5 pounds. free, I own it, but would have to buy a 20mm wheel ~$120.00

the other fork, a brand new 2006 Marzocchi AM2 standard QR. openbath SSVF and has rebound adjust. roughly the same weight. $179.99
but if I go 20mm with the dropoff, I have to buy a 20mm wheel. wich will be expencive. also probably not the lightest solution.

if I go AM2 I get a little better dampening and rebound adjust. if I go dropoff, will have to buy a different wheel. might gain too much weight. worth it?

so what should I do ? do you think that haveing a 20mm setup will ruin my dream of a 25 pound hardtail ?

theres my dropoff.

and heres the AM2 https://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FK501A02-Marzocchi+Am+06.aspx

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not going to even bother :rolleyes: the splice is kind of a joke fork. feels good on the trail, but has some seriously scary flex. if I lift up the front end, spin the wheel. theres absolutly no brake rub. I get it on the ground and get on the bike, brake rubs like crazy. why ? not hub play, hubs are good and tight. but fork play :skep:

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
todd_freeride said:
I'm not going to even bother :rolleyes: the splice is kind of a joke fork. feels good on the trail, but has some seriously scary flex. if I lift up the front end, spin the wheel. theres absolutly no brake rub. I get it on the ground and get on the bike, brake rubs like crazy. why ? not hub play, hubs are good and tight. but fork play :skep:
Sorry i shouldn't have said that. :nonod:

QR flex :yesnod: or spoke tension, run a 20mm or straight axle much better :thumbsup:

·
Ariolimax columbianus
1,635 Posts
Buy a 20 mm front hub

and some spokes (maybe). Take the old front wheel apart and relace the new hub onto the rim. You may save some money, but you'll be paying for it with your time.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nativeson said:
and some spokes (maybe). Take the old front wheel apart and relace the new hub onto the rim. You may save some money, but you'll be paying for it with your time.
good suggestion. thing is, the rims arent too strong, and a decient 20mm hub will run you quite a lot of $. why not just buy something complete? like a forte loco 20mm wheel.

I mean the hub is great, its actually a bolt on, so its quite stiff. the wheel is super solid, just the fork flexes like rubber.

·
Formerly DMR For Life
989 Posts
todd_freeride said:
good suggestion. thing is, the rims arent too strong, and a decient 20mm hub will run you quite a lot of $. why not just buy something complete? like a forte loco 20mm wheel.

I mean the hub is great, its actually a bolt on, so its quite stiff. the wheel is super solid, just the fork flexes like rubber.
how big are you wanting to go on this bike....if your going to be doing drops an such i would go with the 20mm

DMR

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DMR For Life said:
how big are you wanting to go on this bike....if your going to be doing drops an such i would go with the 20mm

DMR
not so big. mostly just stuff that I wouldent need my fully for. more epic type rides. drops maybe 2-3 feet ? just want to be able to climb up the mountain, then ride it all going back down.

·
Formerly DMR For Life
989 Posts
todd_freeride said:
not so big. mostly just stuff that I wouldent need my fully for. more epic type rides. drops maybe 2-3 feet ? just want to be able to climb up the mountain, then ride it all going back down.
I guess for me as a guy who is nearly a clyde i would much rather have a 20mm fork for the stiffness and i would be willing to take the weight penalty, that said your weight might not justify 20mm

DMR

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea, 6'1" 166 pounds :p I'm pretty light and ride pretty smooth. I'll try it out with the splice. if my DH frame sells. then I'm getting outlaws for my DH fully. so a singletrack/ritchey pro 20mm will be avalible. I think I'm just going to go 20mm. because I know that I could ride the dropoff pretty hard. the AM2 maybe not as much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.