Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm riding a Nomad1 and currently have a set of Azonic outlaws on it. I was doing more freeride and some downhill racing on it so i got these wheels. However i've been doing more xc/am riding and would like to find another wheelset to lighten up my rolling mass. This way i can have wheels set-up for different types of riding. Would like to spend less than $5-600.00. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a similar situation going on right now. Im building a bike with a Kona Coiler frame, Fox VAN 160 RC fork, Fox R shock, w/ SRAM x9 drivetrain, and Im having a hard time selecting wheels. I also need a 20mm x 110mm front hub and 135mm x QR rear hub which is a tricky combo.

I want something bombproof but also something that is going to get me up the steeps as well. I have the feeling I'll be doing more AM riding than FR/DH although I want to be able to and not worry about the wheels folding or something when im at the DH park..

So far Ive been looking at:
Easton Havoc AM - (fairly lightweight/strong, great deal on PricePoint right now, spokes are tough to replace)
Mavic Deetraks - (budget wheelset, strong, not too many reviews on 2010 version I can find)
Mavic EN321 or 521 w/ Atomlab/XT hubs - ( Mavic EN line is a pretty solid choice for rims, light and strong perfect for that AM category)
WTB LaserDisc FR w/ hubs above - (AM weights but tought and durable too)

These sets are all under $500...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts