Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if any of you put any grease on the 20mm bolt thru of your forks, where they make contact with the fork legs?

also, what sort of grease do you apply to the seatpost if at all, do you use a specific "seat post only" type or will generic bike grease be ok?

cheers :D

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
OMG, DMR...generic grease? You must use antiseize or the post will dissolve...LOL! Well, OK...that was a bit of exaggeration.

da eddio, I use a very small amout of antiseize on only the threaded portions of my fully bolted 20mm axle setups. I wouldn't recommend anything on the spots you're referring to. Wheel bearing grease or antiseize either one works fine on the seatpost as long as the seatpost or frame isn't carbon.

·
Formerly DMR For Life
989 Posts
TNC said:
OMG, DMR...generic grease? You must use antiseize or the post will dissolve...LOL! Well, OK...that was a bit of exaggeration.
well thats a matter of opinion i've been running my seat post dry in my steel hardtail for 4-6months now with no problems it just moves often enough that it doesn't need any

DMR

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Hmmm, now I think you're the one who's kidding...as I was. I've seen some of the absolute biggest funfests at the shop when 2 or 3 of us were wrestling with a steel frame and an aluminum seatpost that had mysteriously welded themselves together. Looked like one of the old 3 Stooges episodes...and that was after Liquid Wrench soaking, applied heat (yes, Liquid Wrench will ignite...LOL!), and 2 hernias. However, DMR, as you mentioned that your post moves, maybe you have one of the newer "floating" seatposts...or a poor man's Gravity Dropper.;)

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies lads, think i will apply a little grease as i also use the poor man's gravity dropper :thumbsup:

reason i ask about the grease is because i have 2 seatposts, and one of them is very worn from being dropped and raised quite often, and the other is a thomson, and i reeeeeeally dont want to scratch that thing to death cus its far to pretty :rolleyes:

·
Registered
839 Posts
TNC

What do you think of seatpost shims? Ive got this USE composite shim between a AL frame and post and it seems to be working ok, maybe slides a tiny bit. I just wonder if its a source of stress on the frame w/the shim not being metal allowing the post squirm a little. I have the seat collar cranked on pretty hard.

wayne

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
I'm not familiar with the specific shim you have there, but I have relatively plain Problem Solvers shims in all 4 of my MTBs. They're alloy shims that are fully sized for the clearance difference...none of those tapered designs I've seen that seem problematic. All my posts are 27.2. After years of using both the perfect fit post/frame setup and the post/shim setup, I'm not sure I can tell any difference. And just possibly there's a bit more of a grip with a quality shim between the post and frame. Regardless, I can at least testify to the fact that it's every bit as good as a straight post to frame fitment. If you use a shim, don't forget to grease the interface between the shim and frame just like you do between post and frame.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
I know for a fact that the specialized 20mm is 2 piece, and if you dont grease the threaded end AND use a torque wrench it will seize enough that you will strip the hex trying to get it out and /or the hex end will unscrew and you will need to locktite it back in to remove the axle

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.