Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does it mean the whole tire,wheel,spokes have to be replaced ? or does it mean just the axel and keep the spokes.?

could someone point me to the process involved in switching from a quickrelease to a 20mm? somewhere on the web with good info? not to say this place doesnt, its just a simple question that i believe is beyond the scope of these forums...

reason being that i have found smore deals on forks that have a 20mm axel than a qr
thanks

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
you just need a 20mm compatible hub and consecuently rebuilt your front wheel, or get a new front wheel..

the 20mm is a solid axle that goes through the hub and attaches to the fork's lowers

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
right on

oh, ok so if i get a 20mm axel i can probably use my original spokes . but its probably a better idea to just get a new tire with the 20mm axel already on it....thanks....

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
nicolicious said:
oh, ok so if i get a 20mm axel i can probably use my original spokes . but its probably a better idea to just get a new tire with the 20mm axel already on it....thanks....
You can never reuse spokes, ever. Ok, maybe if there's a nuclear holocaust, and spokes weren't being made anymore, you could reuse them. :D

I would suggest going to a bike shop with your exact needs/questions. Without sounding like a pretentious a$$hole, the questions you are asking are fairly basic. Go make nice with the bike shop guys, bring them a six pack once in awhile, and they will make sure you are happy and riding the right stuff.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yeah , more than likely the spokes for your new hub will be a different size than the ones you are running now. And I agree that you should head on over to a shop with your wheel the way it is now and let them know what you want to do. I'm sure they will hook you up. And just to note, adding the 20mm axle is the best thing you could do. It's gonna stiffen up the front end of your bike like crazy. I run a 20mm on all my bike.

·
carpe mañana
7,309 Posts
crisillo said:
Yep..pro 2 rock! I love my set so much, I am about to get another one... or maybe the Pro 3s (if they are 20mm converible as the pro 2s)
Those Pro 3s look like a bid against industry 9s, no?

_MK

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I will.

MK_ said:
Would you mind enlighting me, why?

_MK
Even if you are using the same hub, and lust replacing the rim, still use new spokes. THe spokes are put under a great deal of stress, and they are bent /grooved slightly after use. If you re-use those spokes for a later build, there is no way to be sure all those bends/grooves are aligned correctly, causing stress risers, and failures. It is just not worth it IMO.

If the OP is already replacing the hub, the flanges would have to be exactly the same size to be able to use the same length spokes.

THe way I see it is this.If I am spending $ on a new rim, what is the added cost of the spokes, knowing the added security is there?

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
nicolicious said:
what did you just buy? a new axel and built around it or did you buy a whole new set?

and which brand did you get?
As I guess (from what he wrote as advice)... he probably switched to a 20mm fork and got a new wheel with 20mm hub

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.