Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am on hold on the wheels I ordered (Giant P-CXR0 Carbon) and was looking into having a set built.

Odd that you can get a factory built wheel in 20H front and or 24H rear but if I try to build a wheel from parts (CUSTOM HAND BUILT BICYCLE WHEELS Built By Professionals - Prowheelbuider.com) they can only get hubs/rims in 28H or 32H.

This is really making it hard to built a set of carbon rims using Enve or Reynolds rims and DT Swiss hubs.

·
Registered
Vassago Bandersnatch, Motobecane HAL Comp 27.5+
2,245 Posts
There is no good reason for low spoke count wheels other than marketing. They do not provide any advantage over standard 28, 32, and 36 spoke wheels other than false claims. There are plenty of 28 and 32 hole carbon rims available so you shouldn't have an issue with building your own wheels.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can think of one reason though, weight. I have a spread sheet at home I built of the weight for the spokes, nipples, hubs and rims. My other thought is the fact I only ride/race XC I don't do any Am or DH so I don't need a wheel with 28H or more spokes.

I also think it makes the wheel look way to busy as well.

Just odd you can buy a decent factory built set with what I want, but I cant build my own the same way.

At this rate though it seems Stan's may have the Valor's out before the Giant wheels come in since I cant get what I want from a custom build.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I can think of one reason though, weight. I have a spread sheet at home I built of the weight for the spokes, nipples, hubs and rims. My other thought is the fact I only ride/race XC I don't do any Am or DH so I don't need a wheel with 28H or more spokes.

I also think it makes the wheel look way to busy as well.

Just odd you can buy a decent factory built set with what I want, but I cant build my own the same way.

At this rate though it seems Stan's may have the Valor's out before the Giant wheels come in since I cant get what I want from a custom build.
Weight and aerodynamics are the only reasons for low spoke count wheels.

You are not going to find any disc brake wheel with 20 spokes. 20 is not uncommon for front road rim brake wheels, but they are radially laced. Disc brake wheels need crossed lacing, and that requires (in most cases) a spoke count divisible by 4 on each flange.

As per the Giant web site, the P-CXR0 Carbon wheelset has 28 spokes per wheel.

Many other proprietary factory built mtb wheelsets use 24 spokes.

I have not found the weight difference to be worth the extra flex. 28, and especially 32 or 36, spokes makes a much more solid, better handling, durable, and reliable wheel, with little more weight.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Crap, just realized I crossed my Road bike and MTB spreadsheets....lol. Thought my MTB was the 20H/24H, prob should have double checked that.

Well I guess back to the drawing board...lol

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Serviceable bike, I already have that. Trying to build another wheelset for the race season that is getting ready to start.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.