Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Roll on Spring Time!
Joined
·
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am running xt hydros with original pads and i need more power up front. will a 203mm rotor give me sufficient power increase or is it more for preventing over heating? will sintered pads also help? i have read that one side sintered and one resin is a good option.
it will cost enough to get the bits that if it wont help i need to consider hopes up front. i am happy with the rear power and the xt's are hassel free.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
As the moment arm gets larger you end up with more applied leverage. A larger rotor moves the caliper out and effectively increases leverage. You will have the same applied force but more mechanical advantage assuming the mounting is up to the additional stress.
 

·
Roll on Spring Time!
Joined
·
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
running a pike at the mo but upgrading to a domain or lyrik if i can scrape the dough together. i have the pads the calipers came with. i assume by same power you mean i am not increasing power cause i am not changing the caliper but i will have better breaking cause i am increasing the leverage ratio.
crisillo-i need to keep a record of all the times you have replied to my questions and helped out, then i we can agree on a price for your services. all the help i have received here has is making my bike awesome and my riding has improved exponetialy! is 203mm overkill, would the 180mm be sufficient. i made the mistake of going with firm springs for my pike and had to then buy the xtra frim, same with the rear shock spring. dont want to do the same with the rotor.
any pad recommendations?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,810 Posts
juan pablo said:
running a pike at the mo but upgrading to a domain or lyrik if i can scrape the dough together. i have the pads the calipers came with. i assume by same power you mean i am not increasing power cause i am not changing the caliper but i will have better breaking cause i am increasing the leverage ratio.
crisillo-i need to keep a record of all the times you have replied to my questions and helped out, then i we can agree on a price for your services. all the help i have received here has is making my bike awesome and my riding has improved exponetialy! is 203mm overkill, would the 180mm be sufficient. i made the mistake of going with firm springs for my pike and had to then buy the xtra frim, same with the rear shock spring. dont want to do the same with the rotor.
any pad recommendations?
now I remember :D.. how are you liking the Pike? :thumbsup:

the 203mm will be more than fine there :thumbsup: it just depends on how much power you want/need... I love the 203mm rotors for 1.finger braking.. but I weigh about 220lbs...

I run sintered pads on my XTs (EBC golds in one bike and Shimano metal in the other)...

since you are running a xtra firm spring on the Pike..I think the 203mm rotor will be fine with you :thumbsup:
 

·
Roll on Spring Time!
Joined
·
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
geez crisillo, you are as bad as me. i spend hours in here. thanks for the speedy reply.
i love the pikes but they aren't enough for the coiler. nice for trail riding and at the park but i need more. probably gonna go for the domain 318 u-turn cause of my budget. i was thinking of selling my pike and putting the money towards a lyrik for a do all fork but i want to keep my pike for winter as i plan on running it on a do all hardtail. i wish the domain was a little lighter but peeps love their 66's and they are the same weight.
the fork does give an indication of my riding style so i will be ordering my gadgets tomrrow morn.
are you able to get DIRT magazine there. they ran an article last month on riding in costa rica-sweeet, cant wait to go back.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,810 Posts
juan pablo said:
geez crisillo, you are as bad as me. i spend hours in here. thanks for the speedy reply.
i love the pikes but they aren't enough for the coiler. nice for trail riding and at the park but i need more. probably gonna go for the domain 318 u-turn cause of my budget. i was thinking of selling my pike and putting the money towards a lyrik for a do all fork but i want to keep my pike for winter as i plan on running it on a do all hardtail. i wish the domain was a little lighter but peeps love their 66's and they are the same weight.
the fork does give an indication of my riding style so i will be ordering my gadgets tomrrow morn.
are you able to get DIRT magazine there. they ran an article last month on riding in costa rica-sweeet, cant wait to go back.
no prob!

for great deals in RS forks and great shipping options to this side of the pond, contact Chad @ Red Barn... your jaw will drop when you hear his prices on the Lyriks :thumbsup:

I will try to find DIRT mag... boy I miss home :)
 

·
Roll on Spring Time!
Joined
·
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yip 765's. didnt know bout the 4 pots at the time, my first hydros and never goin back.
havent seen any 4 pots since i heard bout dem.
crisillo- there is also a great article bout spain and makes me want do a 3-5 day trip. Switchbacks look like they got a great service. if you dont have any luck with the mag let me know and i will post you a copy.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,810 Posts
juan pablo said:
yip 765's. didnt know bout the 4 pots at the time, my first hydros and never goin back.
havent seen any 4 pots since i heard bout dem.
crisillo- there is also a great article bout spain and makes me want do a 3-5 day trip. Switchbacks look like they got a great service. if you dont have any luck with the mag let me know and i will post you a copy.
Thanks..I will see if i can find it here (though it is hard to find english mags in the stands here in DE ;) )... I will let you know..
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top