Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts
Does your Duke have the stock springset in it or did you put the stiffer spring in it?

I think the stock spring was supposed to be rated for something like 160-190# or so (I've got the manual with the numbers but it is in another room.) I had the stock spring swapped out for the stiffer 'black' version and I've bottomed it out on a pretty regular basis when I'm actually riding on the dirt with ruts and such. I think the spring cost me something like $30-40 but it has been quite a while.

It still has the stock spring in it. I have considered getting the stiffer spring. I don't remember off the top of my head what PSI I'm running it at. I can check this evening when I get home from work (I've got it set right at or barely over the top pressure suggested for the fork (where it is labeled on the back of the fork). I have bottomed it out before, but I don't do it that often. Most of the stuff that I ride is just fast single track with technical climbs. I do my fair share of rolling jumps, but no big drops. I do however take that into consideration when picking my lines on the downhills. I have thought hard about upgrading the fork, but this one isn't too bad. I did however loose the rebound adjustment knob on about the 3rd or 4th ride. Still haven't contacted Rock Shox to replace that, so my rebound set in the center of the adjustment range (without any way to change it) Have you had any issues with coming off of yours?

I emailed Fisher about this issue. Here is my Question:

Hi, I just recently installed Avid BB7 Mechanical Disc Brakes with 203mm rotors on my 04 Cake 3. I have had a couple of people now tell me that 203's could actually cause damage to my bike due to too much stopping torque. Is this true? If so which size rotors do you recommend for me to use(185 or 160)?

Here is the reply I recieved today:

Hello, Thanks for writing Fisher Bikes.

You should be fine. My only concern was if it could be done, which obviously it looks like you have.

Best, DUSTIN GREEN| TREK Bicycle Corporation| TREK, FISHER, KLEIN, BONTRAGER|dustin_green@trekbikes.com

Ok, That's the opposite of what they e-mailed me back in 2004 or 5.
I guess you can always wave the e-mail if you end up with a warranty issue and they don't like the larger brakes.

With regard to the Duke, the rebound knob hasn't departed the bike.
Overall it has been a pretty good fork even if the U-turn feature is an unneeded gimic.

archer said:
Ok, That's the opposite of what they e-mailed me back in 2004 or 5.
I guess you can always wave the e-mail if you end up with a warranty issue and they don't like the larger brakes.
QUOTE]

Yeah, I saved it! For now I'm just going to keep running them, and possibly pickup stuff to switch it over later. Thanks for all the info archer!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.