Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just ordered some azonic outlaws and a pair of 203mm BB7's to put on my wahoo. I didn't even think to check and see if the mounts on it were actually IS. I measured the distance between the holes on the fork (stock judy tt) and the rear. Both were about 2 inches, which converts to about 51mm. On the mounts on the rear of the frame, there was a 3rd hole off to the side, which i wondered if it meant something. Also if these are IS tabs, do i need an additional mount to but 203mm's on, or is that the adapter that comes with the brakes?

Hopefully this isn't too newbish, but i guess it probably is.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So i don't think my order has shipped, is there a way to figure out if it is rated for the 160mm? I really mostly just went with the 203 cause i found a good deal on it over the 4th of july sales.

·
Registered
205 Posts
ChapmanMTB27 said:
Call and see if the frame will handle a 203. The BB7s will work just fine.
Even if the frame would clear a 203 (doubtful), it sounds like a warranty breaker to me. I know for sure that the fork isn't rated for a 203.

If you got a good deal on the 203's, sell them and make a little money. Then go buy some 160's and be done with it. You're going to break something with the 203's, and it might be your face.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
unless you'd be doing some serious DH, which i doubt with a Wahoo (but hey, who knows)... a pair of 160's or even 185fr/160rr would be more than adequate

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. I'm a big guy, and with the better deal on the 203's, i guess i justified it in my mind. Guess i'll just make another order and return the others. Shipping is a bit of a pain.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
if you already have them and it's simpler and/or cheaper to just get the adapter brackets (than to return the 203's), may as well keep them... it's not like the 203's won't work...

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
When I checked in 2004/2005 on GF hardtails from 2002-2004 (my 2003 Big Sur, a 2002 HKEK and a 2004 Tass) that my group was riding on Fisher responded that 185's were the absolute max for those specific bikes and that 160's were reccomended. 203's would void the warranty.

I went with 160's and haven't had any problems and they do seem to work better than the V brakes.

If you look around you can usually find Avid BB7 discs for something like $55/ axel.

I'm not sure but I think you MIGHT need the rear disc brake adapter mount from Trek/Fisher it was about $14 from the bike shop plus the cost of the bolts from the harware store at about $2. It required 1 M5 x 12mm and 2 M6 x 16mm bolts and attached the bracket to the LHS of the rear triangle. I know this mount was required for most 2002, 2003 and 2004 Fisher hardtails. They could have added the mount integrally to later bikes, if your rear triangle looks the same on the right and left hand sides then you probably need the mount.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got some 160's, got em installed and everything. No problem. I didn't need any adaptors or anything. I think I did read somewhere that the 2005 fishers started having a IS mount for the rear. I think once i get them broken in and tweaked just right i'm going to be very happy with them.

·
WNC Native
4,021 Posts
I put 203mm BB7's on my 04 Cake 3 with no problems. The rear is close to the frame, but not close enough to cause issues, I still have the OEM Duke XC fork on the front and it worked fine also. I think the 203's are over kill to XC riding. I may switch at least the front to 185mm or 160mm in the end.

·
Registered
205 Posts
nitrousjunky said:
I put 203mm BB7's on my 04 Cake 3 with no problems. The rear is close to the frame, but not close enough to cause issues, I still have the OEM Duke XC fork on the front and it worked fine also. I think the 203's are over kill to XC riding. I may switch at least the front to 185mm or 160mm in the end.
Clearance isn't the issue guys. It's the huge amount of torque generated by the enhanced stopping power that comes from the larger disc. Not only does the larger disc cool faster (leading to reduced brake fade), it also allows the caliper to throw a ton more leverage into stopping the wheel.

The reason these frames and forks aren't intended for big brakes is because they'll rip them apart.

·
WNC Native
4,021 Posts
So are you guys saying that I need to go ahead and downsize? I had already been thinking about at least going smaller with the front. If this may cause an issue, I'll downsize! I don't want to take a chance on doing damage. Let me know if I need to get on this quickly!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I don't know if it WILL cause a problem but if it does then it will probably void any warranty when the rep finds the oversized brakes on the bike.

I think I've got the same fork you do, (Duke U-turn XC), and the Fisher response to my inquiry was that 185mm disc brakes were the maximum for the bike/fork and that they reccomended the 160mm. I weigh in at about 190# and the brakes work perfectly for me. I wouldn't mind the 185's but I'm quite happy with the 160s.

·
WNC Native
4,021 Posts
Yeah, I do have the same fork as you. I was going to go with 160mm rotors, but I found a screaming deal on the F/R 203 setup. I got them cheaper than I could get 160's. I weight 215lbs, so I thought the extra rotor would be good. If it causes that much more torque, I'm worried that it will damage the rear swingarm and/or the pivots. So I guess its time to find some 160mm rotors and mount to switch to. The front 203 rotor is too noisy for my likings anyway (flex and vibration through rooty sections). I love my Cake so I'm not going to take any chances. I also was looking at possibly upgrading the fork to a better Rock Shox or a Fox Fork, while looking I noticed they recommended 160mm rotors on most.
Thanks for the valuable info guys!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.