Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a backorder in for a 2022 X-Caliber 9, as it's seems like a great bike for the money. Shimano XT/SLX Groupset, MT4100/410 Brakes, dropper post, et al.
I got a notice that a Procaliber 9.5 was available locally. Obviously the biggest difference is Carbon Fiber vs Aluminum. The specs drop down to Deore, which is still respectable, but to get back to the same groupset/Fork level you have to go up to the Procaliber 9.6, which is $1350 CAD more than the X-Caliber... and not available (compared to $450 more for the 9.5 compared to the X-Cal 9).

My current ride is quite dated...a Cannondale F7 hardtail circa 2010, and I mostly use it for bombing around with the family and hitting some light trails. I'm looking to hopefully ride in the trails a bit more as the kids are growing and are looking for more interesting trails (My oldest is on a 7sp Precaliber 20).

I'm 5'9 250lb. I usually ride a Medium frame.

So my question is, do I wait until spring for the X-Caliber 9 with better components, or spring for the Carbon Procaliber 9.5 that's available now?

· Registered
always in the battle..
310 Posts
I put a backorder in for a 2022 X-Caliber 9, as it's seems like a great bike for the money. Shimano XT/SLX Groupset, MT4100/410 Brakes, dropper post, et al.
I got a notice that a Procaliber 9.5 was available locally. Obviously the biggest difference is Carbon Fiber vs Aluminum. The specs drop down to Deore, which is still respectable, but to get back to the same groupset/Fork level you have to go up to the Procaliber 9.6, which is $1350 CAD more than the X-Caliber... and not available (compared to $450 more for the 9.5 compared to the X-Cal 9).

My current ride is quite dated...a Cannondale F7 hardtail circa 2010, and I mostly use it for bombing around with the family and hitting some light trails. I'm looking to hopefully ride in the trails a bit more as the kids are growing and are looking for more interesting trails (My oldest is on a 7sp Precaliber 20).

I'm 5'9 250lb. I usually ride a Medium frame.

So my question is, do I wait until spring for the X-Caliber 9 with better components, or spring for the Carbon Procaliber 9.5 that's available now?
We are in a very similar situation, I just purchased the Xcal 9, from a shop in NH, no tax!! I am transitioning from a 1993 Cannondale rigid hardtail. For months I have been doing tons of research and everything boils down to the 2022 Xcal9. For the price and components, ease of build and repair, parts, service, upgrades, etc. you can not do better than a Trek. I tried to stay with Cannondale, but near impossible to get now, and way overpriced! I almost went with the Santa Cruz chameleon, but all said and done the Xcal9 offers more for a bit less money, like $600 less after tax/shipping. I am also on backorder, Dec. 27th is my date. Also came close to the Canyon Stoic 4, again, overpriced. Trek is big and common, will never have a problem getting service/repair, parts, etc. Plus, ya just can't beat Shimano XT. You made the right choice!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.