Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally! a not-awful trail hardtail bike from Trek. While it was probably difficult for them to break their instinctive short reach, steep head angle, Slack seat angle habit. They appear to have done it.

Even better, the idiotic boost 141 QR rear axle used in the old model is gone.

Pinkbike has first look https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-look-2022-trek-roscoe-hardtail.html

· Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not liking that slack head angle
For a trail hardtail, I think its good thing. With no rear suspension, hardtails actually have real-life steeper head angles once you add rider weight and fork sag.

Once you set up the 140mm fork with 20% sag for rider weight, it means that the bike has a real life head angle of around 66.5 degrees.

· Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are eleventy billion steepish 29er hardtails out there at every price point.
It's taken years for the big manufactures such as Giant and Trek to get on board with trail geometry hardtails at a reasonable price point.
Its great that they have finally, belatedly woken up. Trek is a particular repeat offender. The old Roscoe was just the 29er X-calber XC frame with a longer fork and 27.5 wheels - laughable.

This new Roscoe looks good now

Heres what you cold cross shop the new 2022 Roscoe against
Norco Fluid HT
Norco Torrent HT
Specialized Fuse
Giant Fathom 29
Ragley Big al
Rocky Mountain Growler (very slack!)
Kona Honzo
...or really any of the bikes found in this query: Bikes - 99 Spokes - Bicycle Comparisons, Reviews, and Trends

Note - these ones have excessively long seat tubes. When seat post is longer than reach - fail
Commencal Meta - stupid too long seat tube lengths
Vitus sentier - stupid too long seat tube lengths

· Pro Coffee Drinker
273 Posts
Note - these ones have excessively long seat tubes. When seat post is longer than reach - fail
Commencal Meta - stupid too long seat tube lengths
Vitus sentier - stupid too long seat tube lengths
I was looking for an aggressive hardtail for a long time before I found one last year and for the life of me I don't understand what's going on with the Commencal seat tubes. Even the 2021 model with the reduced seat tube lengths are still somewhat long.

-DS

· Registered
504 Posts
So I went in to my trek dealer to see about ordering a roscoe 7…. He told me it’d most likely be a year before he could get a medium?!?!

I don’t get it, why market a bike that’s a year out. Can this be true? What’s everyone hearing on availability?

· Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Of interest, I used the 99 spokes website to create a comparison of geometry between some of the Roscoes likely mainstream competition in Size L (all have approx. 470mm reach)

Norco Fluid HT
Giant Fathom 29
Specialized Fuse
Trek Roscoe 2022

I had to manually enter the Roscoe Geometry from the Trek website. It appears in the comparison list as either "My Bike" or "Roscoe 2022 L"

Click the link and scroll down to the Geometry section.

· Registered
Giant STP
65 Posts
What do you want to know? I've built one and ridden one already!
This bike was released some time ago, but I hardly see any reviews, pics, or vids by non-professionals. My LBS has a very healthy inventory of 2022 Marlins, but I'm told the 2022 Roscoe's are on back order. I just want to know if these have been actually hitting stores/shops in the states so that I can get an idea of when to expect to see/test one.

· Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Local shop in Australia says Roscoe 7,8,9 will not be available until late this year at earliest. Thats over a year since they were released. I'm going to assume that Giants factories are capable of making enough frames for Trek, so maybe it is components Trek is waiting on?

· Registered
2,158 Posts
Nobody is riding one of these?

I am debating picking up a 7 and upgrading it.

I have bought a Norco Fluid HT 1 but i'm having second thoughts.

I think the Roscoe has better geo and a bit more future proof, plus the stuff i strip from it to resell are better than those on the Norco and should be easier to sell (fork, wheels, brakes)

Bike Radar review of the 7 here:

Hardtail Party review of the 9 here:

· Registered
2,158 Posts
Well, impulse buy but I picked up a 7 and returned the Fluid.

I'm upgrading it as we speak and selling the take off parts.

Bomber Z2 140 mm
Race Face Turbine R wheels
Shimano Deore 6120 4 piston brakes and Ice Tech rotors.

Should solve the weak links in the stock build.

I'm undecided on running 29x2.6 or 2.4 tires.

· Registered
Giant STP
65 Posts
Nice. Still waiting for the Roscoes at my LBS. I put money down on a Roscoe 7 and was planning to upgrade the fork to a Z2, but was recently thinking about just paying the extra for the Roscoe 8. Also throwing a wrench in my decision making is that CRC has a very nicely spec'd Ragley Marley 1.0 for 1340.00 shipped. Holding me back is the Ragley brand and purchasing sight unseen.

· Registered
21 Posts
I bought a Roscoe 8 a little over a month and a half ago, I really like it! However, I think most people would agree the fork is not as good as it could be(for the price point). I plan to upgrade to a Charger 3 Lyrik Ultimate 140 or 150mm eventually. My Girlfriend got the Roscoe 7 and she was quite happy with it too.

I did put the bike through its paces at Snow Summit bike park in Big Bear this past weekend and it handled the green and blue runs very well at speed and jumped exceptionally well. Railed berms hard, tracked well/felt stable, and even handled the massive breaking bumps at speed alright.

However I must say that it was my first time at a bike park so I didn't go on any full black runs just sections(muscle beach) and it handled those jumps like a champ as well. I haven't tried any competitors bikes to compare with, so the baseline was low(Diamondback BMX bike from when I was in High School).

Seems like a very solid bike, can't wait to hit more trails close to home.

· Registered
2,158 Posts
I've got 4 rides in now on my Roscoe 7 with a Marz Bomber Z2 140 mm, Deore 4 piston brakes with 180 mm rotors, Race Face Turbine R 30 wheels.

It's a fun bike, it fits me well, all good so far.

Had a bit of an issue with the dropper dropping but fixed it by tightening the screw at the top of the post, under the saddle clamp.

I think i'll need a longer stem, I may upgrade the bars at the same time.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts