Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
dmgrapid
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really love how my new Hightower feels and rides. I have a creak in the lower linkage, shock, or bottom bracket only when going uphill while putting a lot of torque on the crankset. It is a carbon s build- my LBS has gone through it 3 times and it’s about to go in for its fourth. They have tightened, greased, replaced bottom bracket. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and figured out the repair ?? Thanks!

·
Registered
127 Posts
This one's gotten me a few times under the same conditions you've described - remove the chainring, make sure the interface between chainring/crank is totally clean, then reinstall.

The other one I can think of is to check that all of your pivots (everything there including pivot axles, bearings, etc) are clean, greased, and torqued to spec.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Sometimes it can actually come from your cassette believe it or not. Remove, grease, and re-install and see if that helps.

Another place is the rear hub interface with the frame. Remove, clean, re-grease, and re-install and see if that does anything.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
My megatower can get a creek/click when under hard power when it needs some love. It either comes from dirt trapped in between the lower link bearing dust covers and the carbon frame, or it comes from the seatpost to seat tube interface as I run a 210mm dropper as low as I can possibly get it. My money is on the lower link and improper torque settings. my suggestion is to pull all of the cone expanders on the axles and pedal the bike around... if the creek is worse, then you sorta know it's coming from those.

I didn't see you say it... but does this happen when seated pedaling or standing?

·
dmgrapid
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My megatower can get a creek/click when under hard power when it needs some love. It either comes from dirt trapped in between the lower link bearing dust covers and the carbon frame, or it comes from the seatpost to seat tube interface as I run a 210mm dropper as low as I can possibly get it. My money is on the lower link and improper torque settings. my suggestion is to pull all of the cone expanders on the axles and pedal the bike around... if the creek is worse, then you sorta know it's coming from those.

I didn't see you say it... but does this happen when seated pedaling or standing?
it happens while standing and sitting.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had a mystery click in my TB4. Standing or seated. light pedaling or hard climbing, after checking every thing else it turned out to be my pedal. turns out it was not properly greased during assembly. easy enough to throw on another set to check.
Earlier on I had direct mount chainring loosen up on crankset. Also cassette needed more torque on free hub. Just a note on friction paste. It tends to attract dirt and dust. Use assembly grease instead and clean up excess. Usually Clean Surfaces Are Better for seat rails and post. save the paste for you're delicate carbon interface where it is needed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.