Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

· Just some guy
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw the release for the new Rallon on Pinkbike that happened on Thursday. I really like the geo numbers and kinematics, and its purple. I went to my local dealer Saturday morning, and the guy said he can't get one, that he had to order all his 2022 stock back in February, that its pointless to even try to get on a wait list, because it won't be happening for him.

I guess this is a long winded way for me to ask where I might be able to try to order a 2022 Orbea Rallon.

· Registered
47 Posts
I'm not too sure about availability- but I'm really pleased with this newest generation of the Rallon. Glad to see that they did a proper full size run rather than the more limited selection of the prior generation.

I've been looking at 160/170 bikes that pedal uphill exceptionally well and are versatile, and this is getting added to the list.

So far, I'm looking at the Evil Wreckoning V3, Pivot Firebird, and this.

· Registered
1,205 Posts
Anybody get their hands on the 2022 Rallon yet? - I'm most interested in the mullet. The few reviews sound very promising. It's either going to be the 2022 Rallon MX or Bronson MX for me. Bronson is the sweet spot for my riding, but the stock builds suck and you can't really get frame only right now. Rallon will be slightly overbiking for me since I hit the park only once or twice a year, but it sounds like a well rounded bike that climbs and maneuvers well.

· Registered
46 Posts
I have put a deposit on a M20 full 29er (that's all that was available) which is due early December. I don't hate the build, but there will definitely be a coil going on the back and either a Diaz Runt or Grip 2 or both going in the front.

I'll be upgrading from a Giant Trance 29er so it's going to be a significant change.

· Registered
1,205 Posts
I have put a deposit on a M20 full 29er (that's all that was available) which is due early December. I don't hate the build, but there will definitely be a coil going on the back and either a Diaz Runt or Grip 2 or both going in the front.

I'll be upgrading from a Giant Trance 29er so it's going to be a significant change.
Orbea builds are much better than the Santa Cruz builds IMO. Grip 1 is good, but would have liked to see a Fox Factory upgrade option the had on other bikes like the Rise. But that's probably more supply chain issues than Orbea not wanting to do it.

Runt vs. Grip 2 are totally different upgrades in my opinion. I don't think the Fox 38 justifies a Runt given it's already has a balanced neg-air chamber and is already the most supple off the top air-only fork in the market. I have a Volsprung Luffkappe (similar to Runt) on my Fox 34 and I really like it for it's small bump compliance and mid-stroke support...but it still ramps up way too much (with all spacers removed) - that I never use full travel...in fact, I think max travel I ever hit with it is 15-20mm less than max. Grip 2 would be a better upgrade, although I find the adjustability you gain is marginal gains over Grip 1 and just takes more time to tweak. I've only had Grip 2 on demo/test bikes and can't fully dial it in over the course of a day.

Reactions: Curveball

· Just some guy
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Talked to a few shops including orbea usa and no one can even order a frame. By the time you get it, 2023 models will be here.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I was having the same kind of luck. I just kept trying to find it on the Orbea website. I found a shop a little over an hour away that had one on order. I honestly believe I won’t see the bike until November of next year.

· Registered
46 Posts
From talking to some shops in Australia, the only way any of them will have bikes coming is if they preordered ages ago. Sounds like customisation isn't a thing at this point as you just get whatever was ordered at the time. I was also looking at the Occam Lt and there is only 1 coming to the whole of Australia in size medium.

Orbea builds are much better than the Santa Cruz builds IMO. Grip 1 is good, but would have liked to see a Fox Factory upgrade option the had on other bikes like the Rise. But that's probably more supply chain issues than Orbea not wanting to do it.

Runt vs. Grip 2 are totally different upgrades in my opinion. I don't think the Fox 38 justifies a Runt given it's already has a balanced neg-air chamber and is already the most supple off the top air-only fork in the market. I have a Volsprung Luffkappe (similar to Runt) on my Fox 34 and I really like it for it's small bump compliance and mid-stroke support...but it still ramps up way too much (with all spacers removed) - that I never use full travel...in fact, I think max travel I ever hit with it is 15-20mm less than max. Grip 2 would be a better upgrade, although I find the adjustability you gain is marginal gains over Grip 1 and just takes more time to tweak. I've only had Grip 2 on demo/test bikes and can't fully dial it in over the course of a day.
The Runt really transformed my Fox 34 Rhythm with a Grip on my current bike and really allowed it to keep up with the Super Deluxe RCT I put on the back. I don't have any experience with a Luffkappe to compare, but, although they set out to provide a similar result, they achieve it using quite different methods. One advantage of the Runt is you have infinite adjustment of your bottom out support.

I'm definitely not upgrading the suspension straight away - I'll see how it goes stock for a bit first. The other thing is I'm a light rider at 62kg so I have found it a bit of a mission to get the sensitivity I want out of stock tunes.

· Registered
1,214 Posts
From talking to some shops in Australia, the only way any of them will have bikes coming is if they preordered ages ago. Sounds like customisation isn't a thing at this point as you just get whatever was ordered at the time. I was also looking at the Occam Lt and there is only 1 coming to the whole of Australia in size medium.
Which shops did you speak to?

· Registered
46 Posts
Which shops did you speak to?
I am in Brisbane, so I think I called up Pedal Heads and then Big Mountain. Originally I was looking for an Occam LT but then ended up going with the Rallon through Big Mountain (which they had preordered).

The Occam stock is meant to arrive May 2022 if I remember correctly, but not sure what Pedal Heads's Rallon stock situation was as I didn't discuss that with them.

Big Mountain was the one that called up the Australian Distributor and did a bit of a ring around to try to find stock for me.

· Registered
1,214 Posts
I am in Brisbane, so I think I called up Pedal Heads and then Big Mountain. Originally I was looking for an Occam LT but then ended up going with the Rallon through Big Mountain (which they had preordered).

The Occam stock is meant to arrive May 2022 if I remember correctly, but not sure what Pedal Heads's Rallon stock situation was as I didn't discuss that with them.

Big Mountain was the one that called up the Australian Distributor and did a bit of a ring around to try to find stock for me.
Did Big Mtn give you an expected delivery date for the Rallon?

· Registered
1,205 Posts
What's the initial leverage ratio compared to the preceeding model?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 128 Posts