Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have input on Occam Aluminum Sizing? I put $ down on the H20 LT in Medium but after reading a bit, people seem to be upsizing to Large. I am 5'9.5, 32" inseam, +0.75" ape index. I currently ride older 2012 giant Trance X medium frame. My giant feels fine but at times wouldn't mind if it was slightly larger.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Anyone have input on Occam Aluminum Sizing? I put $ down on the H20 LT in Medium but after reading a bit, people seem to be upsizing to Large. I am 5'9.5, 32" inseam, +0.75" ape index. I currently ride older 2012 giant Trance X medium frame. My giant feels fine but at times wouldn't mind if it was slightly larger.

Hey, can I if you have made a decision/where your thinking is at?
I'm in a very similar position to you. Deposit placed on a Occam H20 LT large. I'm 6'2" 34" inseam. Can't get an XL.
I'm back and forth about it while I have time to decide. If I had to buy tomorrow I'd buy the Occam. But if the Canyon Spectral AL was available before it I'd be struggling.
Love the Occam orange. It's playing a big part in my love for the bike.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I just put a deposit down on an M10 LT in size large in Mullberry. I’m 6-2 with a 34in inseam. The shop suggested that an XL would be the ’correct’, but the reach is just to long. My last bike (GG Trail Pistol) was a 490mm reach and it just to much. I even ended up dropping the stem to 40mm and that didn’t help.

That shop I went to had both L and XL aluminum Occams. Basically the same as the M10 LT I was looking at. The XL just felt long. I was hard to get the front wheel up and felt like my current bike. The large was more compact and easier to pickup the front end. The XL felt more like it wanted to plow into stuff. The L felt more maneuverable and I could put it where I want it.

Hopefully this helps.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just put a deposit down on an M10 LT in size large in Mullberry. I’m 6-2 with a 34in inseam. The shop suggested that an XL would be the ’correct’, but the reach is just to long. My last bike (GG Trail Pistol) was a 490mm reach and it just to much. I even ended up dropping the stem to 40mm and that didn’t help.

That shop I went to had both L and XL aluminum Occams. Basically the same as the M10 LT I was looking at. The XL just felt long. I was hard to get the front wheel up and felt like my current bike. The large was more compact and easier to pickup the front end. The XL felt more like it wanted to plow into stuff. The L felt more maneuverable and I could put it where I want it.

Hopefully this helps.

Did you see the berry colour?
I'm curious to see it in the flesh. Hope you love it. Watched the Occam Dream Build video the other day. Looks sweet in yellow.

Can I bother you with two quick questions.
What was the seat angle and top tube dimensions of your trail pistol?
And would you know your RAD length?
Cheers👍

·
Registered
727 Posts
Did you see the berry colour?
I'm curious to see it in the flesh. Hope you love it. Watched the Occam Dream Build video the other day. Looks sweet in yellow.

Can I bother you with two quick questions.
What was the seat angle and top tube dimensions of your trail pistol?
And would you know your RAD length?
Cheers👍
I didn’t get to see the color. The two shops I talked to in Denver, CO USA both said the color sold the day it came in. The both said the color is as sexy as it looks on the web. I have to say overall Obera really nails the fit and finish of all their bikes …. That is my opinion of coarse. I don’t know my RAD off the top of my head.

I guess i can’t upload an excel spreadsheet. Here is a PDF of what I used.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
I didn’t get to see the color. The two shops I talked to in Denver, CO USA both said the color sold the day it came in. The both said the color is as sexy as it looks on the web. I have to say overall Obera really nails the fit and finish of all their bikes …. That is my opinion of coarse. I don’t know my RAD off the top of my head.

I guess i can’t upload an excel spreadsheet. Here is a PDF of what I used.
That's handy. Didn't know you could do that. My "new bike" Evernote note is forever growing.

Jaysus that's a long TT!

·
Registered
727 Posts
That's handy. Didn't know you could do that. My "new bike" Evernote note is forever growing.

Jaysus that's a long TT!
If you want the actual spreadsheet drop me your email and I’ll send it over. I used pivot tables to display and compare/contrast the data.

The Trail Pistol is insanely long for me. I get the idea of longer/slacker, but the Trail Pistol is just to stretched out for me. I got a grade 2 sprained shoulder from being thrown to the ground about a month ago. Those sneaky tree roots got me :( Any worse and I would torn my rotator cuff. I still have some pain and I don’t have full strength in the shoulder. Even with the injury I was able to wheelie and bunny hop the large Occam without much effort. I was even able to manual for a few seconds (thats good for me). The XL I could hardly get off the ground with my injured shoulder.

BTW … on my Trail Pistol I also has hand numbness until I dropped the stem from 60mm to 40mm.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you want the actual spreadsheet drop me your email and I’ll send it over. I used pivot tables to display and compare/contrast the data.

The Trail Pistol is insanely long for me. I get the idea of longer/slacker, but the Trail Pistol is just to stretched out for me. I got a grade 2 sprained shoulder from being thrown to the ground about a month ago. Those sneaky tree roots got me :( Any worse and I would torn my rotator cuff. I still have some pain and I don’t have full strength in the shoulder. Even with the injury I was able to wheelie and bunny hop the large Occam without much effort. I was even able to manual for a few seconds (thats good for me). The XL I could hardly get off the ground with my injured shoulder.

BTW … on my Trail Pistol I also has hand numbness until I dropped the stem from 60mm to 40mm.
I took a large for a 2min spin around the car park and agree with you. I felt nimble with it. Something I've never felt on a bike. Although, coming from me, that's not saying much. I'm only recently developing real bike awareness. Finally practicing foundation skills.
Anyway, it felt nice, but my knees did feel a little close to the bars. But on the flip side to that, even with the installed 125mm dropper, it was like the saddle didn't exist. I felt so free in the cockpit. It was a bit of a "holy ****" moment. And because of that I'm thinking of should buy a bike that feels that way, at least once in my life. And it's not like I have a lack of choice of longer reach bikes if I don't like it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, can I if you have made a decision/where your thinking is at?
I'm in a very similar position to you. Deposit placed on a Occam H20 LT large. I'm 6'2" 34" inseam. Can't get an XL.
I'm back and forth about it while I have time to decide. If I had to buy tomorrow I'd buy the Occam. But if the Canyon Spectral AL was available before it I'd be struggling.
Love the Occam orange. It's playing a big part in my love for the bike.
Sorry for late response, my shop called and said they have no clue when the bike would show up. I was supposed to receive in Nov. based on their dates from Orbea. I cancelled my order and picked up a new stumpjumper evo alloy. I liked the evo because I could still run 65.5 head tube on local tight trails but also go as low as 63 degrees when headed out west.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Hopefully this helps.
SEXY AS F#*k!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.