Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
dmgrapid
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really love how my new Hightower feels and rides. I have a creak in the lower linkage, shock, or bottom bracket only when going uphill while putting a lot of torque on the crankset. It is a carbon s build- my LBS has gone through it 3 times and it’s about to go in for its fourth. They have tightened, greased, replaced bottom bracket. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and figured out the resolve?? Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having the exact same issue. '22, carbon S build.

I've stripped down everything from pedals inward to the BB, everything is torqued right, and I still have a creak.

I know it's not saddle or seatpost, because it happens when I'm standing and mashing, too.

next check will be from rear derailleur inward to the rear hub. Spokes, maybe?

I don't know, I'm going a little nutty!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Same issue, 2022 Hightower CC that I built up with XX1. I’ve pulled the swing arm/linkage and BB to clean/grease/torque twice and it still does it. Creaks and pops standing or sitting when I pedal hard, like, really putting power down out of a corner or over an obstacle. I’ve never had creak that I couldn’t easily fix, especially on a brand new frame.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Same issue, 2022 Hightower CC that I built up with XX1. I’ve pulled the swing arm/linkage and BB to clean/grease/torque twice and it still does it. Creaks and pops standing or sitting when I pedal hard, like, really putting power down out of a corner or over an obstacle. I’ve never had creak that I couldn’t easily fix, especially on a brand new frame.
If the creaks occur while you're putting power down - try putting the climb switch/lock the shock to troubleshoot if its your BB/cranks/pedals or VPP pivots.
My Hightower 2 was creaking as well during climbs. The culprit was the cranks or pedals. I took the cranks & pedals off; cleaned, re-greased and torqued back to spec. Bike is now silent.

·
Magically Delicious
14,198 Posts
Bottom line is that any creak can originate from any moving or articulating part. Without isolating the origin of the unwanted noise, all moving parts are suspect. And a few that aren't supposed to move at all.

My opinion is it's most likely a torque related issue.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
If it has the Fox roller bearing lower shock mount hardware, pull them out and throw them in the garbage. Poor design prone to creaking/breaking due to some very thin walls.

Put an RWC needle bearing kit in the lower mount.

The larger main pivot with the collet is notorious for creaking on SCB frames.
Best way to adjust it is to pull/clean/grease, then tighten with 8mm wrench with the wheel/shock off.
Cycle the suspension as you tighten and get it as tight as you can without feeling and binding. In my experience the stock torque spec is generally not high enough.
Then install the smaller "collet wedge" with grease on the wedge and loctite on the small bolt. Torque this one to spec.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
If it has the Fox roller bearing lower shock mount hardware, pull them out and throw them in the garbage. Poor design prone to creaking/breaking due to some very thin walls.

Best way to adjust it is to pull/clean/grease, then tighten with 8mm wrench with the wheel/shock off.
Cycle the suspension as you tighten and get it as tight as you can without feeling and binding. In my experience the stock torque spec is generally not high enough.
Then install the smaller "collet wedge" with grease on the wedge and loctite on the small bolt. Torque this one to spec.
Yep, I came in to post about the roller bearing. After trying everything, it was the solution and the bike feels way better with it so I'd recommend everyone getting it even if you aren't having a creaking sound. Great upgrade for $30.

·
Registered
100 Posts
2022 HT CC - same issue. Glad to know I am not alone, but pissed to have spent that much on a frame where the details are not that ironed out. Seems to me that if they had tested this frame thoroughly they would have recognized the problem.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts

-The only different step I take with all my present/past bikes is coating all suspension axles with a thin layer of Permatex Anti-Seize which helps prevent galling at the bearing contact-points.
(y) (y)

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
I have never seen a bearing seize up on a pivot axle, only on threaded fasteners. You've had this happen?
Nope, but i've seen a lot of really galled-up axles in my wrenching days.
The Permatex also stays in place better than grease in my experience.

Ohhh yeah, Pro-Tip: Always wear gloves while working with Permatex. It's nasty stuff!! (y)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.