1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
3,025 Posts
I'm digging the idea of using a larger piston to reduce the amount of psi necessary to support heavier riders. I suspect that's what Rockshox is doing with the new Super Deluxe, hence the slimmer air can.

I keep going back and forth on whether my 130mm travel, 55mm stroke bike really needs a coil or not, and I was holding out to see what happens in the air shock market.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I keep going back and forth on whether my 130mm travel, 55mm stroke bike really needs a coil or not, and I was holding out to see what happens in the air shock market.
If mid-travel trail bikes need 65 degree HTA, 500mm reach, 79 degree seat tubes and 300mm bottom brackets, they need coil *

Your friendly industry marketing reminder

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
It is just ridiculous ... every single year for the past, what, fifteen? twenty? twenty five? there has been "a totally new and improved" release of shocks and forks from RS, or Fox. Text book marketing tool, for products that are fundamentally the same year after year ... or to put it another way: what is so wrong with their enginners that they need to revise their work every 12 months?

·
Registered
10,818 Posts
I'm digging the idea of using a larger piston to reduce the amount of psi necessary to support heavier riders. I suspect that's what Rockshox is doing with the new Super Deluxe, hence the slimmer air can.

Bigger air piston means a new seal size. But is it the same as the FLOAT X2 or a third seal kit? The DPX2 was continuing to use the same size Fox used since 2000 with the Air Vanilla. I'm guessing the DPS will keep it rolling.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bigger air piston means a new seal size. But is it the same as the FLOAT X2 or a third seal kit? The DPX2 was continuing to use the same size Fox used since 2000 with the Air Vanilla. I'm guessing the DPS will keep it rolling.
This is exactly what I thought when reading that marketing bullet point. Damper body looks too small to use the x2 kit. But as long as the kit is easy to get I guess I don't see this being an issue if they've done the testing.

Gotta be an improvement over the DPX2. That shock was a mess from the start.

Any word on if the Bomber CR is continuing or not? I hope it is.
DPX2 is just a weird shock for me. Air valve placement is un-usable on my frame (Enduro). Have to run rebound all the way open and it's still slow. Just odd to rebuild/bleed the damper as well.

If they took design cues from the Van/Bomber that will be a big improvement over the DPX2. I'm really hoping for the monotube tuning possibilities of a bomber + a nice airspring + cheap parts. Doubt the bomber is going away

Bad thing for home mechanics---looks like they re-used the MY21 DHX2 and Float X2 resi fill cap, so you'll need that special adaptor to fit your shock pump to set IFP pressure :-(

·
Registered
Banshee Titan, Ragley Bluepig
356 Posts
Dougal has a schrader adapter for those FYI

·
Premium Member
6,939 Posts
While not new technology, the return to the older design means it will be much more tunable and upgradable i the aftermarket (vorsprung and avalanche among others). The DPX2 and X2 had very limited tuning options.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts