Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen one of these yet?

The changes apparently include a threaded BB and geometry "improvements" like longer front-center.

I'm interested in how fat a tire you can cram into it (vs. official spec).

Looks like the SL has a lot of attachment points.

Gravel Cyclist has what appears to be a recycled press release. Bicycling! has fluff.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have a 2022 SL7 on order. My shop says anticipated delivery is November (yup, 2021).

The bike looks perfect for me, especially with the changes of T47, in-frame storage, and longer top tube but retaining the 72ish head angle. I want a bike that, with a second wheelset, can be 99.1% of a full on road bike with reasonably snappy handling -- but can also replace my Jake for commuting AND fits 2.1 650Bs for fire road epics. The new CP seems to fit the bill.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I believe I've seen associates on prototypes. For @TwoWheelMan comment having a Sutra Ltd, I was glad to get one of the last Route 45 with 72 deg headset because it makes the gravel bike a better road bike and none of our Fargo, Sutra and a Raleigh now gone really replace a MTB on trails.

Attachment points seems like nice improvement but my wife and I have concluded a bike like our Fargo is really best for carrying stuff, MTB best for trail rides, and keep the gravel bike for road and in between. Being in my 60s I remember my 1970s "racers" that were really more like gravel bikes. The new Trek rev looks like AL and plastic versions of those.

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
I have a 2022 SL7 on order. My shop says anticipated delivery is November (yup, 2021).

The bike looks perfect for me, especially with the changes of T47, in-frame storage, and longer top tube but retaining the 72ish head angle. I want a bike that, with a second wheelset, can be 99.1% of a full on road bike with reasonably snappy handling -- but can also replace my Jake for commuting AND fits 2.1 650Bs for fire road epics. The new CP seems to fit the bill.
The Checkpoint seems to be more road-oriented than other brands. I looked into one last year but decided on my Diverge in the end. Plus, the Treks were hard to come by (and are still). Same scenario for the Canyon Grail which, I think, is a similar geometry to the Checkpoint in terms of a more aggressive set-up, but they also never seemed to be in stock.

·
EDR
10,792 Posts
Is toe overlap still an issue for some?

I test rode a 2021 checkpoint a few months ago. My test bike was probably one size too big (54c iirc). I wear a size 10 in Nike and the toe overlap during slow speed, heavy cornering was dramatic enough that it completely turned me off to the purchase. Maybe they have a more road bike orientated design. Not such a big deal on a road bike but on a gravel bike? I felt it was a problem from the get-go.

Ultimately I purchased a 54c Specialized Diverge and I have absolutely zero issues with toe overlap on 700c wheels.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Size 56 on both of my Crocketts 2020 and a 2017. Both bikes came with 172.5 cranks and I wear size 11.5 shoes. I don't have the issue when running 32mm file tread or smaller road tires but anytime I put 33mm cross knobbies or bigger tires it becomes an issue.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Pretty curious about the ALR model due to tire clearance, threaded BB, sliding dropouts. I'd probably like to perform double duty with it by jumping into CX races as well as gravel riding. Do ya'll find the geo too far from typical CX for it to perform adequately in the CX discipline?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just got my 2022 SL6, and a local shop had a few others available so they should definitely be flowing into local shops soon. I don't really have any reference point to compare to as this is my first 'gravel' bike (previously used my older focus mares for CX and gravel, and a tarmac on road). Compared to those two bikes, the new checkpoint is definitely more 'stable', although presumably the slack HTA and longer front-center makes the steering and handling feel vastly different than my focus or tarmac. Rival AXS is heavy, but I don't mind - it shifts well and that's all that really matters for me. I didn't notice any toe overlap on my one and only ride so far, but admittedly, I wasn't paying attention to my toes. For reference, I'm riding a 54cm w/ size 43.5 Sidi's.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Just picked up an SL7 and put in a 33 mile break in ride. Other than a badly slipping seat post, the bike was flawless. Not as sharp as the prior 3T Exploro but much more rough gravel and compliance focused, so I’m good with that. The spec is awesome and the only upgrade I can think of is a drop bar with a flat top and a blendr Garmin mount.

I’m on a 54cm and it’s a great fit at 5’9” with a 32” inseam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am curious on how it is on pavement - speed, handling, the whole 9 yards. From what I have read it handles like a dream off the pavement but not much how it is I. The pavement. I am looking at a sl7 as my do it all bike.
How does it speed
Just picked up an SL7 and put in a 33 mile break in ride. Other than a badly slipping seat post, the bike was flawless. Not as sharp as the prior 3T Exploro but much more rough gravel and compliance focused, so I’m good with that. The spec is awesome and the only upgrade I can think of is a drop bar with a flat top and a blendr Garmin mount.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am curious on how it is on pavement - speed, handling, the whole 9 yards. From what I have read it handles like a dream off the pavement but not much how it is I. The pavement. I am looking at a sl7 as my do it all bike.
Coming from an 2014 focus mares cx and a 2019 tarmac, the front end feels like steering a damn boat. It is noticeably more slack and relaxed - definitely not the fast, precise steering that I found on my older focus & tarmac. Depending on what you're looking for though, it may be just what you need. It definitely took me a bit to get used to, but it's my first 'gravel' bike. Having only a few rides on it, I can say that it's definitely more confidence inspiring on gravel roads and descents - I've sold both my focus mares and tarmac and plan to have my sl6 checkpoint do double duty for gravel rides and road rides. I don't intend to road race or CX race, so for me, the 2022 SL6 will be just fine. If I get the spare change, I may pick up a 2nd wheel set and slap 28mm slicks on if I find myself doing more road-only rides, but not a top priority for me. It's definitely my do-it-all bike for road/gravel.

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
Coming from an 2014 focus mares cx and a 2019 tarmac, the front end feels like steering a damn boat. It is noticeably more slack and relaxed - definitely not the fast, precise steering that I found on my older focus & tarmac. Depending on what you're looking for though, it may be just what you need. It definitely took me a bit to get used to, but it's my first 'gravel' bike. Having only a few rides on it, I can say that it's definitely more confidence inspiring on gravel roads and descents - I've sold both my focus mares and tarmac and plan to have my sl6 checkpoint do double duty for gravel rides and road rides. I don't intend to road race or CX race, so for me, the 2022 SL6 will be just fine. If I get the spare change, I may pick up a 2nd wheel set and slap 28mm slicks on if I find myself doing more road-only rides, but not a top priority for me. It's definitely my do-it-all bike for road/gravel.
And the Checkpoint geo leans towards roadie compared to many other gravel bikes out there. For example, the Spec Diverge is more slack and almost MTB-ish in it's layout. I love it.

·
Registered
503 Posts

I thought I’d update this thread… so, I love the 2022 SL7 but the slipping seatpost has made the bike unrideable. I, as well as my shop, have tried all variations of carbon paste, different collar, dry fit, greased, different post and still badly slipping post. It seems that the seat tube is slightly oversized and any jarring bumps will cause it to drop. My saddle height is 72.5cm from center of crank to top of seat and on average, it drops 4-4.5cm over the course of 2 miles.

I finally dropped the bike off this AM for trek to sort out. I’m not sure what their plan will be to fix it other than possibly a new frame, or slightly oversized seat post. It’s a real bummer as we enter into gravel racing season. Thankfully I have a rigid, hardtail mtb that I can use.

Will update when I know more.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I purchased the SL6, and I love it. Coming from a Crockett, this thing feels like a Cadillac. I got 7 PRs on a gravel ride I’ve done 100 times, and didn’t feel like I was even pushing. The only thing I don’t like is the GR1s. 4 punctures in 100 miles of easy gravel. I had rotten luck with them on my Crockett as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.