Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a long shot, but wanted to see if anyone on here had a good recommended approach for a 2021 Toyota Sienna. I am currently running Yakima round cross bars on factory rails, which is hard for me (5'9") to reach, and a cheap hitch rack on a 2" receiver (Draw Tite), which scrapes when I have a load on the back.

I'm planning to upgrade to an Eco hitch, which is supposed to have better clearance and less scraping.

My ideal would be to mount 4 bikes with wheels on but before I shell out the big $$$ for a 1Up, I wanted to see if anyone had a setup for the new Sienna that they loved.

I would like to be able to take everything from 20" kids bikes to a fat bike (4.8") to a 50 lb ebike, etc. Ideal would even be a way to transport a longtail but I doubt that's possible.

I'd love any tips or advice.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some more data - Max tongue weight is 350 lbs.

If I got the Equip D, it's 48.5 lbs (double) + 2 add ones (40 lbs = 20lbs x 2) = total rack weight of 88.5 lbs.

Assume 4 bikes at 35 lbs each (will usually be less), that's another 140 lbs.

Total racks and bikes weight = 228.5 lbs. (And very expensive at $765 for the double plus $700 for the two add ons = $1465 + tax.)

I'm not sure how exactly you factor in the distance back for each bike when you calculate tongue weight, but my total weight is about 2/3 of the max tongue weight, which seems reasonable?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,999 Posts
One thing about scraping, it's worth considering driving style if you haven't. I've had hitch racks on WRX, lowered BMW, Camaros with track suspension, and others and never scrape. I learned this early on with the long WRX nose. You don't take thing like curbs or transitions head on, you always take them at an angle. You don't go into a place (like a driveway, place of business) unless you are sure you can get out or that there are no gotchas. The angle thing is critical though, even if it puts one of your wheels in the air a little, that's not a big deal and better than scraping something. And when you do a transition, a bump, a grade-change, something like exiting a business, you do it slowly enough that your suspension does not compress. That gives you max clearance. I don't have to tip-toe around in these cars, just a be a little mindful for the hazards and there is no scraping.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some more data - looks like Heavy Duty would work just as well and is a bit cheaper at $595 (double) + $34 (fat tire spacer) + $229 + $229 (2 add ons) = $1087 (so about $400 cheaper than Equip D, which doesn't appear to be meaningfully better and is apparently harder to store).

·
Registered
64 Posts
For my 2018 Sienna AWD have the draw tite hitch that mounts behind the bumper mostly hidden. Some other hitch brands mounted lower and seemed like a bad solution my 1up Super heavy duty with four bikes. The van would ride too low with four riders, gear and bikes and drag on mild driveways on the first trip. I added the air lift 1000 airbags to the rear and all is good with no dragging for the 15k miles of bike trips with this set up.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I ended up getting a Journey Off-road lift for the 2021 Sienna. It is an expensive solution but I think you will be routinely scraping the hitch and rack otherwise. I was towing a small trailer with just 180 tongue weight and hitting curbs going into gas stations. If you drive any fireroads you will be very unhappy. The car rides great with the lift.

·
Registered
101 Posts
For our 2014 sienna AWD I did:

-Draw Tite hitch that sits up in bumper
-Firestone airbags in rear springs w/ schrader valve mounted under bumper
-Lolo 6-Bike rack

I think the airbags have been very helpful in our situation because we often have the van loaded with camping gear and people. Pressurizing them to 35psi keeps the rear riding pretty much near stock height. If we don’t have as much stuff a lower pressure in the bags does the job.

The Lolo rack has been great because we haul adult and kids mountain bikes. 29er 24” & 20”

We have used this setup on 500+ mile road trips including campsites with beat up gravel roads. have not had issues with scraping nor bikes bouncing out

I am intrigued by the journey lift kits. we have gone to some places where the Sienna’s ground clearance, independent of having the bike rack & hidden hitch, was the limiting factor

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.