Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
Considering the new STP for my 10 year old. Very excited by the potential of this bike.
Anyone seen this in person?
Mostly curious about weight and what the difference between the regular and large means. Sizing on the web says they fit the same height but have different sizes.

Linked here: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/stp-26-2021

Thanks!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I posted about the new STP line up at the link below and got zero response. Apparently there isn't a whole lot of interest yet.

https://forums.mtbr.com/families-riding-kids/2021-giant-stp-lineup-1155443.html
Looks like Giant is dropping some kids bikes with the STP line for 2021. They seem to have some solid features, and some not so much.

Starting with the 20" models they have the STP 20 ($???) and the STP 20 FS ($475). Specs are are pretty similar across the board. The FS model gets you an 80mm Suntour XCT coil fork (vs rigid alloy), Tektro hydraulic discs (vs mechanical), Microshift 12-42T drivetrain (vs Altus) and 2.2" tires (vs 2.6") The photos of the FS model show the Altus, not Microshift drivetrain. Both bikes are also shown with Revo grip shifters. Geometry highlights include 69 HA, 73 STA and 127mm cranks.
View attachment 1372017
View attachment 1372019

Next up are the 24" models consisting of the STP 24 ($440) and the STP 24 FS ($530). Differences between the 24" models mirror those on the 20" models. However, the photos actually show the Microshift drivetrain (including shifter) on the STP 24 FS. HA and STA match the 20" model, but the cranks get a bump to 140mm.
View attachment 1372021
View attachment 1372023

The 26" models are a bit of a departure from the smaller STP models. Here we see offerings of STP 26 SS ($950) and STP 26 ($1020). Equipped with the 120mm Rockshox Recon RL, the two bikes are spec'd identically, except for the drivetrain. The SS model is a single speed 30/14 and the other model is equipped with a Deore 11-46 10 speed. Both bikes use the same frame (available in "regular" and "large") with an adjustable horizontal drop out. The SS gets a tensioner, while the the other has a derailleur hanger. On both size frames, HA = 67 and STA = 73.5. The 26" model also gets 150mm cranks.
View attachment 1372025
View attachment 1372027

Comparing the geometry of the 24" model to the database I have put together...

STA: 73 (73.5 avg)
HTA: 69 (68 avg)
TTL: 495 (506 avg)
CS: 410 (401 avg)
Reach: 335 (348 avg)
Stack: 524 (505 avg)
Wheelbase: 978 (987 avg)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi all!
Considering the new STP for my 10 year old. Very excited by the potential of this bike.
Mostly curious about weight and what the difference between the regular and large means. Sizing on the web says they fit the same height but have different sizes.

Linked here: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/stp-26-2021

Thanks!
Regarding your specific question on sizing differences, they are in the geometry chart. Essentially, the back half looks to be the same and you get a longer front half that gives you 27mm more reach and 9mm more stack.

Measurement: R/L
Seat Tube Angle: 73.5/73.5
Top Tube Length: 545/575
Head Tube Lenth: 100/110
Head Tube Angle: 67/67
Wheelbase: 1086/1117
Chain STay Length: 435/435
Stack: 579/588
Reach: 374/401
Crank Length:155/155

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info! Greatly appreciated. Surprised there isn't more interest in this bike. I do wish Giant published weight - this is the area I am most concerned about.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thanks for the info! Greatly appreciated. Surprised there isn't more interest in this bike. I do wish Giant published weight - this is the area I am most concerned about.
The bikes were just made public, so I don't think too many people even realize they exist yet.

I always prefer when manufacturers provide weights as well, but it just isn't that common. Giant is usually pretty good about keeping weight down on their aluminum frames. However, keep in mind that these are ALUXX, Giants lowest tier 6061 single butted aluminum. They could have been made lighter with ALUXX SL or SLR, but that probably would have driven the price up substantially.

The other thing to keep in mind is that for a given size aluminum frame, there usually isn't THAT MUCH difference in weights across brands. Where you see the biggest difference in weight is component spec. Given the fact that these are budget bikes, they are not going to be spec'd on the lighter end of the spectrum.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi all!

Linked here: STP 26 (2021) | Men Trail bike | Giant Bicycles Canada

Thanks!
We’re you ever able to find out weight of this bike. Looks like an awesome build but can’t find the weight. Thx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts