Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

always licking the glass
Discussion Starter #1
Have fun people :)

Registered
From the Downtime interview with Yoann, it's pretty obvious that rims and angled headset cups are coming.
Rims wouldn't surprise me in the least. That seems like a perfect application of Revved technology.

Premium Member
I'll take the angled headset for $200

Rims would be cool, very cool indeed.

Revved hardtail? Not necessary, really.

What Ben wants: A high pivot short travel 29er. Make this happen and I promise I will stop looking at other high pivots ;)

Registered
I'm guessing the angled cups will be a lot less than $200, since you can re-use the bearings from the standard cups, and ZS alternatives with bearings are in the $160 range. I can see that this will be a bit of a SKU nightmare for GG, since they'll need versions for short/long/tall/short for each angle they decide to offer, unless they reconfigure the cups to be more modular.

Registered
May be do something about the frames where seat tube meets top tube? That big piece of triangle with solid infill would be ok as a first generation aluminum to carbon experiment. Now it is time to either clean up the junction, or at the very least open up the void. As is the frame doesn鈥檛 look like it has reach it鈥檚 full potential design wise.

Premium Member
two bottles inside the triangle! bwah ha ha
I fit two bottles inside my triangle (Revved sz 3), one large and one small, plus a tube strapped to the inside of the frame.

Premium Member
OK...I did NOT expect you to say that! Good to know for the GG riders.
I thought it was common knowledge that the lower mount will hold a tool strap or a small water bottle.

I ride with dogs, so having two bottles reduced he amount of water I have to carry on my back.

I would like to fit two large bottles, but that would require a triangle change ...

Count me as satisfied.

Oh wait, there is something missing from GG's repertoire: a DJ and a Trials bike.

Registered
Perhaps this is way off base - but could they be doing carbon seat stay kits?! The stay kits are not listed on the website...

Registered
GG's dropped a few hints on RideMonkey regarding the stays. Nothing regarding carbon stays, but the models that aren't currently for sale are getting very minor geo tweaks. (slightly longer CS for some models, slightly lower BB for some models, more readily available shock hardware sizing, Smash confirmed changing to 140mm travel to fit better between TP & Gnarvana). I inquired about when I can order MegaTrail stays, since they're still selling MegaTrails, and was told currently available bikes' seatstay kits will be available on the website Feb 1. No ETA on the rest of changes.

My personal speculation regarding those:
8x30 rear hardware
Smash BB down to maybe ~340
Shred Dogg CS to maybe ~426, BB down to maybe ~334
Trail Pistol CS to maybe ~430, BB down to maybe ~337

While I'd happily pay a few bucks more for carbon stays, I really doubt that they will go that way anytime soon, since it would add complexity (bonding metal inserts to carbon stays) and increase production time, rather than decrease it.

Registered
Yoann is showing what looks like a size 4 Gnarvana on his IG with new Decals. In the GG video he was riding a size 3 with the normal decals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

battle stag commander
Heres some speculation based entirely on other peoples claims they might have something very new in the works, and that the TP and Smash are "sold out". I wonder if they are finally sorting the front triangles into two categories. Instead of a new "model" like the Gnarvana that is a seatstay kit, maybe a new front tri with two seatstay kit models. What jumps out at me would be a slightly shorter front tri and specific geo for the SD/TP, maybe even a lighter layup. Just saying that if they build a new front tri around a regular headset with a fixed position and drop in bearings they would save a pile of weight for those shorter travel models, and still have burly bikes. I wonder f these first ~2 years of sales have given them data on who is swapping seatstay kits and what the change is? Are people actually going long to short travel or vice versa? are people going 27.5 to 29? My speculation would be that the majority are swapping between smash and Mega, maybe now the Gnar, OR swapping between SD and TP. Maybe also lots of TP-Smash swaps. Point being they might have some clues that some swaps are common and some less so that would suggest two separate front tri types. This is all of my wishful thinking to be sure, but eventually new seatstay kits wont be excting enough...

Also, If they make a carbon hardtail with sliders that I can SS I will buy it immediately.

Registered
GG's dropped a few hints on RideMonkey regarding the stays. Nothing regarding carbon stays, but the models that aren't currently for sale are getting very minor geo tweaks. (slightly longer CS for some models, slightly lower BB for some models, more readily available shock hardware sizing, Smash confirmed changing to 140mm travel to fit better between TP & Gnarvana). I inquired about when I can order MegaTrail stays, since they're still selling MegaTrails, and was told currently available bikes' seatstay kits will be available on the website Feb 1. No ETA on the rest of changes.

My personal speculation regarding those:
8x30 rear hardware
Smash BB down to maybe ~340
Shred Dogg CS to maybe ~426, BB down to maybe ~334
Trail Pistol CS to maybe ~430, BB down to maybe ~337

While I'd happily pay a few bucks more for carbon stays, I really doubt that they will go that way anytime soon, since it would add complexity (bonding metal inserts to carbon stays) and increase production time, rather than decrease it.
Regarding Smash in 140mm travel - will the eye-to-eye length change for the shock?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts