Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

281 - 291 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
The Pink bike review was odd, which is a shame because there are next to no 140 reviews out there. It makes you wonder how much bias (conscious or otherwise) comes into play just by numbers. They were quite negative about the bikes climbing abilities and that was in the context of a 160 bike, so it's either really terrible, or something else was going on. I guess another possibility is if they measured sag thinking it was a longer shock and the bike had way too much sag, that would totally invalidate the whole test.

Who even knows what they did I guess.

i have a ripmo AF that feels just a bit ponderous and a hardtail set up mullet that is an absolute riot but gets in over its head. Seems the 140 might split the difference.

·
Registered
Specialized Turbo Levo 2020, Specialized Status 2021, Giant STP 2009
178 Posts
Just picked up an S3 160 from the local bike shop (fat tire farm in portland, or). they said specialized upped the price of the complete builds by $400 today. so now they are $3000. which is still a pretty good deal...

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I bet your ripmo af will climb more efficiently, might even pump down the trail more efficiently. But it's not going to be as fun going down, if you ride like me.

The problem with almost all bike reviews these days is that almost all bikes are great and we can adapt our riding style to suit any bike. That's doesn't mean that bikes feel the same, they may feel wildly different even if they are nearly identical on paper. So a bike may not excite you today but it may get you all wet on a slightly different trail or on a different day when you're riding more or less confidentiality. To say the status isnt a good climber is misleading because it may climb better than a bike they praised last week or require only 5% more effort but in the PB circle jerk world their editorial dribble gets more interactions from negativity because their keyboard kook fan boys get off on strongly worded poorly rationalized opinions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What would you recommend? I just want a shock that has more adjustability than the dpx that this thing came with. I don’t worry about climbing much, I don’t care how fast I get there, as long as I get there. I figured you could make an x2 feel any way you want it to feel but I’ve never ridden one before
Maybe try the rockshox super deluxe ultimate with a megneg can. Would have similar off the top sensitivity of an x2 with more mid support like a dpx2.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Maybe try the rockshox super deluxe ultimate with a megneg can. Would have similar off the top sensitivity of an x2 with more mid support like a dpx2.
what feature of a RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate with Megneg Can gives you the extra mid travel support compared to an x2?

·
Registered
178 Posts
what feature of a RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate with Megneg Can gives you the extra mid travel support compared to an x2?
answered my own question:
good review from vital. summary: more negative air volume = more air pressure required for same sag, which gives more support in mid stroke while maintaining small bump sensitivity. interesting! the DPX2 has a negative air can as well, just not as adjustable as a shock with the "MegNeg".

·
Registered
178 Posts
So i just swapped a DPX2 230mm x 65mm (eye to eye length x stroke) Factory Elite to my Status. The Status comes stock with a 230mm x 60mm.

Anyone ever try this?

I took all the air out of the shock and pushed the bike all the way through its travel. everything seems ok... gonna take her for the first ride today... any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
answered my own question:
good review from vital. summary: more negative air volume = more air pressure required for same sag, which gives more support in mid stroke while maintaining small bump sensitivity. interesting! the DPX2 has a negative air can as well, just not as adjustable as a shock with the "MegNeg".
This is a nice air can and the shimmed 27mm compression piston in there is a lot nicer than the x2 poppet valves. That's said I can't think of any reason not to run a coil on this bike.

281 - 291 of 291 Posts