Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

241 - 260 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Ya that's a bummer. What country are you in? If you're not ready to open it up yourself maybe send it to someone like avalanche, who is known for heavy damping.

·
Registered
2021 Stumpjumper Evo Comp
9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Skip to the 2nd paragraph to not waste your time about what I am really here for (buying my first MTB) Maybe skip to the 4th paragraph to skip the bio too...

Holy crap!... I just spent what feels like hours reading thru this entire thread.. So Im a roadie and gravel rider who wants to get dirty in the woods... I have read and read and read and frankly MTB are aliens from another planet.. IDK how you all keep track of the different variants, geo, styles..etc... People complain road bikes are confusing, but hell there are really only 3, maybe 4 types.. (Climbing lightweight bikes, Aero mainly flat race bikes and Endurance all day riding relaxed Geo bikes) and the 4th category is TT... that's it, its simple cut and dry (yeah right :) )

Enough of that: Ok my budget is $2-3K tops.. I want to have fun in the woods. I live central east coast where the main trails are up and down, usually 1/4 mile up then a 1/4 mile down to be more specific. Some of it is really steep and some of it is just rollers. Lots of roots, mud and rocks from softballs to pointy bowling ball sized.. That's the terrain I am dealing with. My fitness level is good.. I shave my legs.. so you know I am fast :)

Based on all my research I was set on a Hardtail.. I figured I could climb decently on it and descend okay as well.. I was sold on the Specialized Fuse Comp 29 2020/21 for $1800... It gets great reviews and the review from youtuber "hardtail party" sold me.. He looks to thoroughly trash the hell out of this $1800 bike and raves about it the hole way.. The problem? Well you cant buy the bike, its sold out like every other bike in the world.

Then I started thinking, my lower back is shot, and maybe a hardtail will feel really harsh bouncing around rocky trails with my slow speed, none existent MTB skills..

I visited a local shop today and they had the Status and the Stumpy. I test road both of them on the road only, their test trail was closed because it was muddy. I road the Status first and took it up some steep roads and jumped off some curbs and honestly it climbed fine.. No its not my road or my gravel bike fast up hill, but I would assume it would climb knarly stuff faster than my sketchy gravel bike..

Then I tried the stumpy.. and immediately I felt like I was super upright and over the wheel.. I didn't feel like I could descend down a trail as confidently as with the Status. The crazy slack Harley Davidson front end just made me feel like I couldn't go over the bars (unlikely, I will definitely go over the bars)

I spent hours talking to the dudes their and staring at the Status.. I was drawn to it and its way beyond my abilities for sure.. But I just want to screw around the woods and have fun... maybe even learn how to ride it downhill halfway decently.

So, am I crazy? Am I just looking at the status because its $2600 and available? I mean the Stumpy was there too, but it just felt weird, like I was riding on top of the bike and not in it..

Lastly, I'm 5,7" or 170cm with 32" inseam or 81cm.. They had me in the S3 and it felt good, I mean I have no idea what Im doing.. but coming from the road world which I know plenty about, i never fit into what manufacturers call medium.. My Cervelo Aspero is a 51cm with 379mm reach and 530mm stack.. I like the smallest road bike that I can fit into comfortably.

So simply put... Is the Status just a stupid choice for me? Should I just keep searching for a slack hardtail?

At my Height should I actually consider the S2?

My apologies that you read all of that!

·
I throw poo
418 Posts
I'd go back and but it right now. You're drawn to it and it felt good. Get it on the trail for a test ride if you can, but if it felt right, then it felt right. Don't think so hard.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Skip to the 2nd paragraph to not waste your time about what I am really here for (buying my first MTB) Maybe skip to the 4th paragraph to skip the bio too...

Holy crap!... I just spent what feels like hours reading thru this entire thread.. So Im a roadie and gravel rider who wants to get dirty in the woods... I have read and read and read and frankly MTB are aliens from another planet.. IDK how you all keep track of the different variants, geo, styles..etc... People complain road bikes are confusing, but hell there are really only 3, maybe 4 types.. (Climbing lightweight bikes, Aero mainly flat race bikes and Endurance all day riding relaxed Geo bikes) and the 4th category is TT... that's it, its simple cut and dry (yeah right :) )

Enough of that: Ok my budget is $2-3K tops.. I want to have fun in the woods. I live central east coast where the main trails are up and down, usually 1/4 mile up then a 1/4 mile down to be more specific. Some of it is really steep and some of it is just rollers. Lots of roots, mud and rocks from softballs to pointy bowling ball sized.. That's the terrain I am dealing with. My fitness level is good.. I shave my legs.. so you know I am fast :)

Based on all my research I was set on a Hardtail.. I figured I could climb decently on it and descend okay as well.. I was sold on the Specialized Fuse Comp 29 2020/21 for $1800... It gets great reviews and the review from youtuber "hardtail party" sold me.. He looks to thoroughly trash the hell out of this $1800 bike and raves about it the hole way.. The problem? Well you cant buy the bike, its sold out like every other bike in the world.

Then I started thinking, my lower back is shot, and maybe a hardtail will feel really harsh bouncing around rocky trails with my slow speed, none existent MTB skills..

I visited a local shop today and they had the Status and the Stumpy. I test road both of them on the road only, their test trail was closed because it was muddy. I road the Status first and took it up some steep roads and jumped off some curbs and honestly it climbed fine.. No its not my road or my gravel bike fast up hill, but I would assume it would climb knarly stuff faster than my sketchy gravel bike..

Then I tried the stumpy.. and immediately I felt like I was super upright and over the wheel.. I didn't feel like I could descend down a trail as confidently as with the Status. The crazy slack Harley Davidson front end just made me feel like I couldn't go over the bars (unlikely, I will definitely go over the bars)

I spent hours talking to the dudes their and staring at the Status.. I was drawn to it and its way beyond my abilities for sure.. But I just want to screw around the woods and have fun... maybe even learn how to ride it downhill halfway decently.

So, am I crazy? Am I just looking at the status because its $2600 and available? I mean the Stumpy was there too, but it just felt weird, like I was riding on top of the bike and not in it..

Lastly, I'm 5,7" or 170cm with 32" inseam or 81cm.. They had me in the S3 and it felt good, I mean I have no idea what Im doing.. but coming from the road world which I know plenty about, i never fit into what manufacturers call medium.. My Cervelo Aspero is a 51cm with 379mm reach and 530mm stack.. I like the smallest road bike that I can fit into comfortably.

So simply put... Is the Status just a stupid choice for me? Should I just keep searching for a slack hardtail?

The question of what size to choose is where I am at also. I am 170cm tall and coming from a medium 2017 Reign. Should I be considering an S2 due to the “playful” ideal behind this bike. Tough decision.

·
Registered
2021 Stumpjumper Evo Comp
9 Posts

Based on all of this, I'd guess you went to TrailWerks? If so, GREAT shop, I just bought a Stumpy Evo from them! It's too bad that you couldn't demo the bikes out on the trail, but if you thought the Status felt more comfortable in the parking lot, I think you'll be pretty happy with it as a first trail bike. I'm the same height as you, my previous trail bike was a medium, and went for an S3 Stumpjumper and would have gone for the same size on the Status.

Is the Status overkill for the local trails around here? Yeah, a bit, but there are plenty of people riding more aggressive enduro bikes on the local trails. It's very downhill focused with 160mm travel and the slack head angle, while most of the local trails are more XC oriented. It won't be as light and will require more effort on the climbs compared to shorter travel bikes, but it won't leave you stranded. If you take it out to the Frederick Watershed, Bryce Bike Park or Massanutten, it will really shine!

Another benefit to the Status is that it's currently a limited release and only a select few shops across the US are even able to sell them right now. I think TrailWerks is the only shop in MD/VA/DC that can get them, so if you end up not enjoying it, I'm sure you can easily resell it for very close to the price you paid.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've seen the bike going for 3200+ resale stock so you actually can make money from selling your used status. But then you're next bike probably won't be as fun for the price.
Anyone have an in-depth, long term review of using a coil on this? I was going to get the marzochi because it's not too much money to try out but I waited too long and the shops are sold out. Now I'm looking at the 21 dhx2 but spending that much money has me nervous if the bike doesn't do well with it. The market is hot so I guess I could sell it after but I'm also lazy and don't want the hastle. The other cool thing about the dhx2 for 21 it's only two screws to change the travel spacers from 60-65 mm stroke so I can try the longer travel at bike parks during summer and switch back for winter trails.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Based on all of this, I'd guess you went to TrailWerks? If so, GREAT shop, I just bought a Stumpy Evo from them! It's too bad that you couldn't demo the bikes out on the trail, but if you thought the Status felt more comfortable in the parking lot, I think you'll be pretty happy with it as a first trail bike. I'm the same height as you, my previous trail bike was a medium, and went for an S3 Stumpjumper and would have gone for the same size on the Status.

Is the Status overkill for the local trails around here? Yeah, a bit, but there are plenty of people riding more aggressive enduro bikes on the local trails. It's very downhill focused with 160mm travel and the slack head angle, while most of the local trails are more XC oriented. It won't be as light and will require more effort on the climbs compared to shorter travel bikes, but it won't leave you stranded. If you take it out to the Frederick Watershed, Bryce Bike Park or Massanutten, it will really shine!

Another benefit to the Status is that it's currently a limited release and only a select few shops across the US are even able to sell them right now. I think TrailWerks is the only shop in MD/VA/DC that can get them, so if you end up not enjoying it, I'm sure you can easily resell it for very close to the price you paid.

So truth in lending.. ad to stop wasting anyone's time here on answering my original question... I held off from buying the Status for now.. Being a complete newb and wanting to puts around the trails putting in long up and down miles and my skill level none existent I decided that the Status was above my pay grade.

Yes, it was TrailWerks, and yes those guys are flat out awesome.. The gent helping me said it was way to much bike for me and would rather see me in the Stumpy or a fullsus XC bike for what I described doing.. He said, get the Status if you want to commit to more of an enduro/ downhill style of riding.. But if I wasn't planning on thrashing it, it will most likely not do what I want it to do..

I actually got lucky 2 days ago and found/bought a like new 2020 Timberjack 27.5+ with full XT kit.. I rode it immediately and realized just how bad of a MTB'er I am.. Yes, my road/gravel fitness transfers.. but none of those skills are helpful.. I almost flipped backwards on my first 14% grade climb.. I wonder how the Status would have handled that..

That all being said.. I may buy the Status in a month or so if its still available and my skills improve.. Worst comes to worst I can sell the bike pretty easily to someone who would enjoy it more than I would and probably only lose a bit of cash..

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
So truth in lending.. ad to stop wasting anyone's time here on answering my original question... I held off from buying the Status for now.. Being a complete newb and wanting to puts around the trails putting in long up and down miles and my skill level none existent I decided that the Status was above my pay grade.

Yes, it was TrailWerks, and yes those guys are flat out awesome.. The gent helping me said it was way to much bike for me and would rather see me in the Stumpy or a fullsus XC bike for what I described doing.. He said, get the Status if you want to commit to more of an enduro/ downhill style of riding.. But if I wasn't planning on thrashing it, it will most likely not do what I want it to do..

I actually got lucky 2 days ago and found/bought a like new 2020 Timberjack 27.5+ with full XT kit.. I rode it immediately and realized just how bad of a MTB'er I am.. Yes, my road/gravel fitness transfers.. but none of those skills are helpful.. I almost flipped backwards on my first 14% grade climb.. I wonder how the Status would have handled that..

That all being said.. I may buy the Status in a month or so if its still available and my skills improve.. Worst comes to worst I can sell the bike pretty easily to someone who would enjoy it more than I would and probably only lose a bit of cash..
I think you made a good choice the timberjack is a really cool hardtail and a hardtail is a better bike for you most of the time. That said if you can justify the money for a bike you may only ride a handful of times a year when your go on a bike trip then it's worth picking up.

I've watched a lot of online mtb coaching and hands down my favorite it fluidride on youtube. You should definitely do skills drills off the trail of you want to get better fast.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I've seen the bike going for 3200+ resale stock so you actually can make money from selling your used status. But then you're next bike probably won't be as fun for the price.
Anyone have an in-depth, long term review of using a coil on this? I was going to get the marzochi because it's not too much money to try out but I waited too long and the shops are sold out. Now I'm looking at the 21 dhx2 but spending that much money has me nervous if the bike doesn't do well with it. The market is hot so I guess I could sell it after but I'm also lazy and don't want the hastle. The other cool thing about the dhx2 for 21 it's only two screws to change the travel spacers from 60-65 mm stroke so I can try the longer travel at bike parks during summer and switch back for winter trails.
That adjustable stroke is really cool! I think you can maybe even do more than 5mm adjustment. So you could have a short travel trail ripper and a long travel park slayer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think you made a good choice the timberjack is a really cool hardtail and a hardtail is a better bike for you most of the time. That said if you can justify the money for a bike you may only ride a handful of times a year when your go on a bike trip then it's worth picking up.

I've watched a lot of online mtb coaching and hands down my favorite it fluidride on youtube. You should definitely do skills drills off the trail of you want to get better fast.

Thank you PurpleMtnSlayer.. I subscribed to that channel and will definitely binge watch it and take some lessons to practice..

I am really happy with my choice as it was most sensible for my lack of skills and ability.. Ill post back here if I add the Status to the quiver in the future!

·
Registered
9 Posts
That adjustable stroke is really cool! I think you can maybe even do more than 5mm adjustment. So you could have a short travel trail ripper and a long travel park slayer.

Ya maybe, I just assumed to get the 230x60 and take out the spacers for summer. I like the 160 travel but your right might be cool to experiment with shorter travel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wondering if anyone knows whether the rims are already taped and spare tubeless valves are included? S3 on order and just want to be prepared. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a status 160, and have been struggling to get the rear shock to feel how I want it. I took out a shockwiz for a couple of days hoping it would suggest something I was missing, but didn’t really say anything new. I have been playing with pressures and spacers, hoping to eke out some more mid stroke support, as I find myself blowing through the middle of the travel if I have it set to a reasonable sag. The RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate with a MegNeg seems well regarded for its mid stroke tune-ability, as well as having an LSC adjustment that my performance DPX2 doesn’t. Does anyone have any experience with this shock? Or experience tweaking suspension on a status other than sticking a coil on it? It’s been an awesome bike otherwise, just trying to get it dialed.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Your best option is to have it tuned, obviously. I would highly recommend avalanche because he goes way high on compression but gives you blow off threshold adjustability. So you'll get more than enough support without any harsh choking.

As far as easy home stuff, I would highly recommend pulling all the spacers and overspringing it. The problem is this will create low speed harshness. But if you ride faster and don't overdo the spring rate, you won't really need more low speed plushness.

I'd like to do a custom tune at home sometime. But I'm not sure what kind of shims I'd need for the midvalve and don't won't it unridable while I wait for parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, im living in Australia and allegedly very limited amounts of status's are being shipped here, i heard around 35, of which my LBS are getting the majority of them. Anyway it appears i missed out on the last S3 160 by a day but theyre expecting a 140 S3 to arrive soon. The shop had an s4 140 there, it felt a bit big being 5ft7. I measured the fork and it was a 160mm am i right in saying the forks are exactly the same and its only the rear cans that are different?

241 - 260 of 291 Posts