Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

221 - 240 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Its incredibly dry, I'm new to the area but some of the locals are telling me they've never seen it this blown out. Hopefully the locals can show me some of this secret stuff soon :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone tried a 27.5 on the front of the status?

I tried it. It gains quicker steering and feels pretty awesome! Like a short chainstay stumpjumper (like back when they were 26" wheels and 420mm chainstay) with the bonus of more travel.

The offset on the fork (44mm) seems to play well with a 27.5

I borrowed a friend's wheel and I am going to buy my own for certain places I ride. The front wanders less on climbs and I like the agile handling especially on flow trails. For steep gnarly stuff and park I will throw the 29 back on.

This bike rips, it is like having so many bikes in one bike (for the right person). I come from a background of mid-late 90's north shore and many years of skatepark bmx riding so I love small bike that you can toss around. I have no interest in timing myself, I figure if I can go fast enough to make my eyes water that's probably fast enough lol.

·
Registered
489 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Does anybody tried 230x62.5? I have a x2 from another bike.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I measured 14 mm extra rear wheel travel. The only difference is that. They didn't optimize that bit of extra travel, so it might be too linear or something, but I don't notice harsh bottoms or wonky shock stuff at or near bottom out. Still running the dpx2 with stock tune. I went 170mm on the fork, so I think it's nicely balanced. I like it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I measured 14 mm extra rear wheel travel. The only difference is that. They didn't optimize that bit of extra travel, so it might be too linear or something, but I don't notice harsh bottoms or wonky shock stuff at or near bottom out. Still running the dpx2 with stock tune. I went 170mm on the fork, so I think it's nicely balanced. I like it.
Thanks!! I built it with my fox 36 170mm, feels amazing just wondering about different stroke options. I will try the x2 with 62.5mm.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I don't know if this was already asked, but is Specialized selling these in the U.S. yet? Just wondering how to get one. And is it sold as frame only?

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an S3, and havent noticed any front end push as well. In fact, its quite the opposite I feel. The front end is super stable, and its the back end that gets rowdy and unpredictable, lol!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Read through the entire thread, I’m looking to get this bike soon but I’m wondering how would lowering the rear end (raising the bb higher than the high setting) affect AS and AR? Not sure exactly how the rear shock mount point is put together but I have a feeling whatever adjustment comes stock I would be able to make a shock mount that would double the lift on high setting. Steepening the st and ht by about another .5 degree, and raising the bb making the geometry a little more suitable for trails with ups. Switching out the mount whenever I feel like having fun, trips or for park days. If I attempt this I’ll report back on the thread.
I have plenty of uphills where I live, and I have not notice any problems with climbing (in the high position). Since it is so slack compared to my previous Jeffsy, it goes equally as great downhill as well. Absolutely amazing bike.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I don't know if this was already asked, but is Specialized selling these in the U.S. yet? Just wondering how to get one. And is it sold as frame only?

Thanks
My understanding is that select Specialized dealers sell them (mainly on the West Coast). I can't speak to actual inventory at any of the approved dealers, though.

but yes, they are being sold in the US on a limited basis.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My understanding is that select Specialized dealers sell them (mainly on the West Coast). I can't speak to actual inventory at any of the approved dealers, though.

but yes, they are being sold in the US on a limited basis.
Ok, thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
So far so good but I haven't been able to ride it much due to the weather.

It feels "dead" in a good way on the rear, very composed and it's still playful but maybe a little bit less than with the air shock. As for the bottoming out I can't say yet, I haven't had any issues but I also haven't ridden anything gnarly yet.
Thanks for all of the information on this forum damisch! Any further thoughts on the coil setup? I received my S2 frame this week and am piecing together my custom build the next few weeks (photo of the Cast Blue frame [sorry for bad lighting] attached for those interested since I haven't seen many of them elsewhere). I was planning on swapping to a coil shock setup right away and noticed the leverage curve posted here is slightly different than the one posted in your YouTube video, but generates a similar progression rate (~20% on the low end). That should be plenty to run a coil shock in my previous experience but wanted to get your input after riding the setup for a few months.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update with the 29" rear wheel
Someone had measured the bb to be much higher than stock with a 27.5 in the back, and I think I'm feeling that. My local bike shop is a month out in regards to lacing up a 27.5 for me, and I don't have access to do it myself. The bike doesn't feel super poppy and I'm not too stoked on the stock shock, it feels dead and the bike isn't super playful, but it could just be that my BB is jacked way up with this 29 in the back. The previous owner threw in a 27.5 rim with the deal, but its 38mm wide, is that gonna be way too fat for a 2.5 maxxis? I don't have any experience with rims over 30mm i.d.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I think the shock tune needs more lsc or stiffer midvalve to help with the wallow (would love to play with the open circuit reed valve in the dpx2), but that won't make it more poppy. How much shock psi are you running? You should probably add more spring rate regardless of what shock you're using as that will make it more poppy for you. FSR in general is a low antisquat design that feels more plush than supportive. To some degree you have to ride faster and hit stuff harder for the same amount of pop. You can slightly over spring it get more support but you'll lose some plushness off the top. But if you're hitting features harder you'll make the ride feel plush naturally.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Also 38 mm id is not ideal but I'll be fine for sure. Make sure you buy the WT (wide trail) version of Maxxis tires as those are designed to go on wider rims without getting too squared off.

Building wheels is very easy and rewarding. Might be a fun covid pastime to learn. But it's not really economical as the first few will take you hours.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think the shock tune needs more lsc or stiffer midvalve to help with the wallow (would love to play with the open circuit reed valve in the dpx2), but that won't make it more poppy. How much shock psi are you running? You should probably add more spring rate regardless of what shock you're using as that will make it more poppy for you. FSR in general is a low antisquat design that feels more plush than supportive. To some degree you have to ride faster and hit stuff harder for the same amount of pop. You can slightly over spring it get more support but you'll lose some plushness off the top. But if you're hitting features harder you'll make the ride feel plush naturally.
Yeah I’m already riding it pretty stiff for my weight, and it’s actually now to the point that it’s too stiff for my local trails. I ride really rocky high speed stuff and I need to officially lower the pressure. But I agree, it could use a lsc adjustment for sure, even bunny hopping this thing takes more effort than I would like. I hopped on a buddies new commencal clash and it’s super poppy and snappy, but very plush at speed at the same time. Guess I gotta get to tinkering

221 - 240 of 291 Posts