Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Mtb Extraordinaire
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 5th Scalpel in a row (from 2002 onward) .... and god damn this bike is fast !!!

There is a small but noticeable difference with this new frame design compared to the previous one. It's just better all around. The rear suspension is a nod better (softer on the small stuff and doesn't bottom as easy on the bigger stuff). Overall, I'm extremely happy with the bike The only thing that took me 3/4 rides to get used to was the lower BB. After a dozen or so pedal strikes on things I wouldn't have previously hit, I adjusted and am happy.

That being said, over the past 2 rides, I can't seem to keep the steerer stem tight. It takes maybe an hour of hard riding and there is noticeable play. The contraption that keeps everything is place is insanely light and seems to be too under built for the job it needs to do.

Is anyone else having this problem or have a simple solution ?

· Registered
161 Posts
My guess is that you have the Scalpel SE with the SID fork? I have the older 2018 model with the World Cub SID fork... this is my favorite compression nut:

The carbon steer tube does not have a star nut, it has a compression nut. Make sure its lined up at the same height as your stem, and tightened correctly. (you need to tighten it inside the steer tube before tightening the headset top nut.

· Registered
132 Posts
I had this issue also and it turned out to be spacers that were “light”
I changed them to solid carbon and problem disappeared. I had only one 5mm under the stem and it seemed that stem was chewing it’s way through the spacer little by little.

· Mtb Extraordinaire
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had this issue also and it turned out to be spacers that were “light”
I changed them to solid carbon and problem disappeared. I had only one 5mm under the stem and it seemed that stem was chewing it’s way through the spacer little by little.
Yeah, I think you're right. One of the spacers seems to keep getting slightly smooshed and pushed out of place ... just enough to create some play. Weird.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.