Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2021 Trek Roscoe 8. In the front, it is a Thru Axle, but the rear is a QR. Is there any way to convert it or something? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Many reviews of this bike and others like it mention the hub and say it can't be upgraded because it's not TA. This is not really true. There are a lot of great hubs with replaceable end caps that will happily take either their TA end caps or QR end caps and go in this bike just fine. Hope and Swiss, just for examples.

·
Community Manager at Trek
448 Posts
Here is the thing, while you can convert the wheel to thru axle, you can't convert the dropouts that are fixed to the frame, those are only for QR. Hub conversion doesn't matter if your dropout won't work with a thru axle.

·
Registered
334 Posts
It's a damn shame that the Roscoes are still coming with QR axles at that price range....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a damn shame that the Roscoes are still coming with QR axles at that price range....
I agree. It isn’t a huge deal to me (I’m just a beginner), but more advanced riders would be concerned. At $1,800, I would think it would have a thru axle

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Just curious, other than compatibility with a wide variety of hubs, what benefit are you seeing to having a through axle, instead of a quick release, on the back of a fixed-length-chainstay hardtail?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just curious, other than compatibility with a wide variety of hubs, what benefit are you seeing to having a through axle, instead of a quick release, on the back of a fixed-length-chainstay hardtail?
Robustness, reliability, and getting your moneys worth. Having a frame that is worth upgrading. QR skewers are not adequate for trail riding.

If somebody markets a bike for "trails", it should be trail ready.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Gotcha, I'll stop riding my QR bikes on the same trails I ride my TA bikes right away (y)
No reason to take my comment personally. Unless you work for Trek and like over-pricing inadequate equipment.

I never said what you implied. But you knew that.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I never said what you implied. But you knew that.
Yes, I did friend. But you implied that a QR is inadequate for what the bike is designed for. If you're taking a 100-120mm travel hardtail down stuff that you NEED a through axle for, you have the wrong bike. There is no ejection risk from the rear dropouts using a QR as there is for typical forks (which is a through axle on them, anyway), nor is the stiffness seriously impacted with a nicely triangulated chainstay/seatstay. I'll give you that the supplied QR is--generously--crap.

Simply: I've ridden the same rocky/rooty trails on everything from ultralight titanium QRs, to nutted chromoly axles, to 12mm through axles. The axle is not stopping me from going as fast as the next bike, the frame design (and suspension) is.

My experience tells me people will upgrade their bike regardless of what other peoples' opinions are, and as far as reliability or robustness, well, hard to get more reliable than a ~90 year-old, mature technology. We've more than figured out the limitations of a 5mm QR at this point.

By the way, community standards state that you need to put your (corporate) affiliations front and center--you'll see that from @[email protected] up above.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yes, I did friend. But you implied that a QR is inadequate for what the bike is designed for. If you're taking a 100-120mm travel hardtail down stuff that you NEED a through axle for, you have the wrong bike. There is no ejection risk from the rear dropouts using a QR as there is for typical forks (which is a through axle on them, anyway), nor is the stiffness seriously impacted with a nicely triangulated chainstay/seatstay. I'll give you that the supplied QR is--generously--crap.

Simply: I've ridden the same rocky/rooty trails on everything from ultralight titanium QRs, to nutted chromoly axles, to 12mm through axles. The axle is not stopping me from going as fast as the next bike, the frame design (and suspension) is.

My experience tells me people will upgrade their bike regardless of what other peoples' opinions are, and as far as reliability or robustness, well, hard to get more reliable than a ~90 year-old, mature technology. We've more than figured out the limitations of a 5mm QR at this point.

By the way, community standards state that you need to put your (corporate) affiliations front and center--you'll see that from @[email protected] up above.
If you're going to put the minimum speced tech on a bike, then don't over-charge for it. Put a goddamn thru-axel on the thing you greedy bastards.

·
Registered
334 Posts
And if you're wondering why I'm being so critical, it's because the Roscoe would be a perfect budget trail bike if it wasn't for that QR axle. It's kind of mind boggling that you're a $50 part away from a perfect entry bike that somebody could build on. You know people would rather have a thru-axle at that price point, and yet you ignore that.

Trek makes a good product. But it's our duty as good consumers to call out when companies cheap out on their customers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts