Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new to the forums here. I've got a 2021 rockhopper sport with the Stout 2x crankset on it. I can't for the life of me find any info online for any of the specs on this crankset. I'm converting to a 1x setup, but just need to be sure on what style chainring I should be ordering, whether direct mount or bolt-on, and if bolt-on, what BCD I should need. There's a removable dust cap on the outer ring that covers where the bolts would be, but it looks as though they are only connecting the inner and outer rings together, and not connected to the crank arm itself, leading me to believe they are direct mount? I don't have a crank arm remover yet, but have one coming in the mail, should hopefully be here next week, but just trying to get this figured out so I can order the rest of the pieces I need!

Sorry for what may be an obvious question! Been awhile since I've tinkered with bikes, and haven't every dealt with MTB, mostly just BMX in the past. I've laced wheels, and well just about everything except cranks and bottom brackets lol, so this area is all new to me.

Any help is appreciated!

· Registered
6 Posts
Hey all, new to the forums here. I've got a 2021 rockhopper sport with the Stout 2x crankset on it. I can't for the life of me find any info online for any of the specs on this crankset. I'm converting to a 1x setup, but just need to be sure on what style chainring I should be ordering, whether direct mount or bolt-on, and if bolt-on, what BCD I should need. There's a removable dust cap on the outer ring that covers where the bolts would be, but it looks as though they are only connecting the inner and outer rings together, and not connected to the crank arm itself, leading me to believe they are direct mount? I don't have a crank arm remover yet, but have one coming in the mail, should hopefully be here next week, but just trying to get this figured out so I can order the rest of the pieces I need!

Sorry for what may be an obvious question! Been awhile since I've tinkered with bikes, and haven't every dealt with MTB, mostly just BMX in the past. I've laced wheels, and well just about everything except cranks and bottom brackets lol, so this area is all new to me.

Any help is appreciated!
I have absolutely no idea. Sorry, I just came to ask you what the bikes like? Is it any good for the price.. I've been looking at the sport and the elite in particular and don't know what to choose...

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve been real happy with it so far! Sure, I could have probably saved a little money going a couple trim levels up and getting some of the things I’m upgrading, but that takes away some of the fun lol. Part of my whole purpose of buying this bike was to be able to upgrade to components I want, and learn how to install them along the way.
Also, easier to justify a $700 bike than a $1,200 bike to the wife lol.
I am also new to mountain biking and riding mainly flow trails, so having a “lower” end bike isn’t the end of the world.

· Registered
9 Posts
I’ve been real happy with it so far! Sure, I could have probably saved a little money going a couple trim levels up and getting some of the things I’m upgrading, but that takes away some of the fun lol. Part of my whole purpose of buying this bike was to be able to upgrade to components I want, and learn how to install them along the way.
Also, easier to justify a $700 bike than a $1,200 bike to the wife lol.
I am also new to mountain biking and riding mainly flow trails, so having a “lower” end bike isn’t the end of the world.
Same spot I was at easier justify 700!!! For sure. I watched a YouTube video on changing it to a 1 ×. The bike sauce has a good one . That the YouTube video channel he changed to bottom bracket as well

· Registered
10 Posts
I read, in another post, that the chainrings on the Stout crankset are not replaceable. You would most likely need to replace the entire crankset; I rely on my LBS for such information.

edit: post by Flakarter from October 2020

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.