Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2021 PNW Loam Dropper Rattle

3120 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  objectuser
I have a 2021 PNW Loam dropper post that rattles really loudly when going through rough, chunky terrain. The rattle sounds like it is coming from where the seat connects to the post or the top of the post where the slider stanchion first enters. I have removed the post from the bike and bounced the bike to verify the post is the issue and also re-greased the stanchion Does anyone else have this issue? I know PNW allows ~2mm of play in the post/stanchion connection, but the rattle is extremely loud. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Do you have 230-300PSI in the cartridge?
Mine has the expected play and I hear absolutely no rattle.
Do you have 230-300PSI in the cartridge?
I have it at 250lbs. Forgot to mention I'm on a 2017 Niner Rip 9RDO.
Reactions: 1
I have a 2021 PNW Loam dropper post that rattles really loudly when going through rough, chunky terrain. The rattle sounds like it is coming from where the seat connects to the post or the top of the post where the slider stanchion first enters. I have removed the post from the bike and bounced the bike to verify the post is the issue and also re-greased the stanchion Does anyone else have this issue? I know PNW allows ~2mm of play in the post/stanchion connection, but the rattle is extremely loud. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Hi ricekrispyota, Sorry to hear your Loam is having some rattling issues. There is a chance that your cartridge is a little loose in the upper stanchion or the air pressure it not set correctly. Here is how you can tighten it up.

1. Extend post to full length
  2. Remove saddle clamps to expose air valve
  3. Pump up the cartridge to 300psi (range is 280-300psi to work properly)
  4. Drop the post to half travel to take the pressure off the star nut
  5. With small needle nose pliers, snap ring pliers or a flat head tighten the silver star nut with 4 notches located at the base of the air valve.
    1. You will want to make it is snug but not locked down.
    2. There is a rubber washer on the inside of the post that will compress as you tighten the star nut so you just want it to get tight.

If you have any other issues please contact our Rider Support and they will be happy to help get you rattle free.
[email protected]
See less See more
  • Helpful
Reactions: 5
My post was moving 2-3mm when fully dropped. Followed this, didn't realize how low the pressure was. Seems good now.
Reactions: 2
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.