Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

101 - 120 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
Orbea Occam 2020 M10 stock
278 Posts
Nah, you are OK with the large (would say perfect). I'm 6' and look like a giant on a large with 40mm stem (probably because the 97kgs :D).

·
Registered
914 Posts
Thank you. Everything I've read for the most part points to the large. Based on Orbea's size chart it puts me right at a large at 70".

·
Registered
58 Posts
Has anyone ridden both the aluminum and carbon versions of the Occam? I just found out I may be able to stretch my new bike budget to the M30.

Was wondering if anyone would be able to speak to the main advantages of the carbon frame. Assuming lower weight and increased stiffness but what's that translate to in the seat?
My LBS had two M size M30's in gray, so I got one, basic stock build.

I just weighed it - with stamp1's and tubes: 30.4 lbs.

I did not get to see an alloy version - they are long sold out and there won't be anymore 'till next year now.

And I haven't done any trails yet, just picked it up a couple of days ago.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's definitely rider dependent. From everything I've read some people just like a smaller bike and some a larger.

I am 5'9" height and ape index, 31.5" inseam and bought a large. I think I am going to get a medium instead. Here are my personal thoughts on the large frame.

Good reach with a short (45mm) stem. Short enough seattube. Very close standover. Stack height OK with spacers over stem but could be lower.

The bike feels good but for the technical riding I like to venture into it feels too big/tall and the standover height doesn't help.

For bombing down trails the large should be more stable. I just tend to like a smaller bike I think. Some people feel too cramped in the smaller cockpit. You will need to run a longer stem comparatively which puts you over the front more.

I think I would be OK with a 55mm stem on medium.

Unfortunately they only had a large to try out. With a 140 fork on the demo these issues were less noticeable, with the 150 I ordered they were more pronounced.

However as said it's going to come down to your personal preference, measurements, and riding style.
Same measurements here, maybe another inch in ape reach, got a M and it seems perfect. At some point maybe a 50 or 55 stem, but I like the short one, it handles quick.

Either will work for you, the post is up about an inch and a quarter on mine, plenty of extra length if needed.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Ok so I have a occam m30 on order and they are set to ship this week. I still have an opportunity to change sizes but need to make that call by tomorrow. Orbea's sizing is a bit confusing. I'm 5'10" with a 31 inseam. The chart puts me at a large. However the there is also another section that allows my to input my measurements and it recommends a medium. So once again I'm on the fence. I've been riding xc bikes for years and making the switch to trail. My local trail has lots of climbing and tight switchbacks. So looking for some help hear from those of you that have had a chance to through a leg over the bike.

·
Registered
33 Posts
at 5'8" I found the M a tad cramped, can't get a L to try locally. Its almost like some manufacturers don't want you to buy their products.

·
Class Clown
2,955 Posts
at 5'8" I found the M a tad cramped, can't get a L to try locally. Its almost like some manufacturers don't want you to buy their products.
my only real issue with the large was standover height. it was close. i could definitely stand-over it but didn't have any wiggle room.

this may or not be an issue, depends on what you like/need.

I will probably miss the reach of the large, it felt good. I had the bars with no spacers underneath, I think a tad lower would be nice, but it worked.

I recommend this video he explains sizing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nuyjBuJFiA

·
Registered
914 Posts
Stand over is my big concern. The large is 30.1" the med is 28.9". My last bike was 29. Everything else looks decent on the large. Just don't want to be crushing the boys..

·
Registered
8 Posts
I managed to take a 2020 size M around the shop carpark today - I really don't see what people mean by a bike being cramped. In terms of reach the M occam is 450mm. It is longer than my 2015 anthem (421mm), and longer than the 2020 M ransom that I hire at the bike park (440mm). The effective TT on the other hand, is very similar across the board for all 3.

I'm 5ft 8.5", and am struggling to see how I could possibly size up. I normally ride an XC bike, and prefer to be able to throw my body weight around, especially on tight technical corners which can't be taken at speed. That being said, my inseam is 30.7", and I'm a +2.8" ape index, so if all indications on this forum are true then I should feel more comfortable on a large.

It's just a shame that no shops have any demo models anywhere! (in Paris France).

·
Class Clown
2,955 Posts
I don't quite get it either. The reach is 25mm shorter vs the large. I am waiting on my medium but for me the large was definitely too big. It was rideable but if I was any shorter it wouldn't have been.

The family jewels were touching the toptube when standing over. I also had to move the seat down most of the way and "climb onto" the bike. The bars were lowered all the way but still a little high. In short the bike felt too tall. ;)

For bombing downhills maybe it would be preferable, or if you'd rather have a bike that you're "in" rather than "on" if that makes sense.

140 vs 150 fork makes a difference as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yep orbea will deliver to your door or a dealer and you can customise your order as you wish....but you'll have to wait until the new bikes ship and that might not be until December or early next year. If you want one before that it seems to be a question of ringng around and finding what size and spec that dealers have in stock.
I'm praying I have one of the last shipments of the old stock reserved....
So finally collected the M30 Eagle in XL on Monday. Fitted a few bits and very happy with it although I may need a slightly higher handle bar than the 12mm rise. Will give it a while to see if I adapt 1st

·
Registered
193 Posts
So finally collected the M30 Eagle in XL on Monday. Fitted a few bits and very happy with it although I may need a slightly higher handle bar than the 12mm rise. Will give it a while to see if I adapt 1st

HI, nice one... I also have an M30 in same color.
What about those tires? Looks like some light xc ones? I'm also planning on building some light wheelset for sort of xc trails near house.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I plan to do the same, 1 wheelset with minions and the other more XC
As i tried before, on 2 wheelset with 6bolts.. i was not so lucky using two different rotors on the two sets. The best is to keep the same rotors with the same mounted brake pads.
That's why i think i will follow the center lock way (change rotors very very quickly).

I will buy some new dt swiss XM 1700 wheels(they should be bulletproof for trail/AM and realitvly light), or maybe some lighters XR 1650, but i'm a little worried about durability in the long term and just don't know if i will like the 25mm internal width....:skep:

·
Class Clown
2,955 Posts
What is the issue you had, did the calipers need adjustment when switching wheels? 1 set is going to be stock 1650s with center lock, the other has 6 bolt hubs.

I generally clean brake pads with isopropyl regularly, and sand with 400grit wetordry on occassion.

·
Registered
193 Posts
What is the issue you had, did the calipers need adjustment when switching wheels? 1 set is going to be stock 1650s with center lock, the other has 6 bolt hubs.

I generally clean brake pads with isopropyl regularly, and sand with 400grit wetordry on occassion.
It was not only the caliper alignment.
I was not able to have two sets of the same rotors and they weren't used from the beginning. (one set XT ice-tech and the other Slx)
They were different thickness(as previously used),... and also the way the braking surface was braked-in, was not the same. The result was that some disc were not enter the caliper, or then the brake pads adapt to the caliper and when then i reinstall the previous i still had the problem... And also at the beginning, because the pads were not braked-in with the rotors swapped, they were not braking very good...
Sorry but i can't explain it better in english language.. i hope you understand...
The result was that all was working perfect, only with one set of rotors/pads and braked-in with a ride.
That's why i'm planning to use two centerlock wheels, one will have an SLX cassette and one the XTR, but the rotors will remain the same, and swapped from one set to the other... (with the right tools centerlock swap it's a 30 second job)
let's see... if this method will still have pro and cons...:)

·
Class Clown
2,955 Posts
I think my solution will be to have 2 sets of brake pads and swap those instead of swapping rotors.

At most I may need to push the pistons back in and re-adjust the calipers.

101 - 120 of 140 Posts