Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

361 - 380 of 415 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts

I’ve had my 2020 Optic C2 hanging on the wall since December 1st, the top pivot bolt backed out on the trail. Even tho I torqued the bolts non of them had Loctite 242 on the them so the factory warranty the bolt but the bolt has been on back order since 12/1 and the new in-stock date is now 08/29. I see all the 2021 Optics are not available yet either, anyone know what’s going on with the hold up? I ass assume it’s COVID related but I can’t get a straight answer from Norco.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
View attachment 1926941
I’ve had my 2020 Optic C2 hanging on the wall since December 1st, the top pivot bolt backed out on the trail. Even tho I torqued the bolts non of them had Loctite 242 on the them so the factory warranty the bolt but the bolt has been on back order since 12/1 and the new in-stock date is now 08/29. I see all the 2021 Optics are not available yet either, anyone know what’s going on with the hold up? I ass assume it’s COVID related but I can’t get a straight answer from Norco.
Is the dealer you bought the bike helping you out or are you working through Norco direct. Pers ally I would take it it right to the dealer and get it fixed.
Erik

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is the dealer you bought the bike helping you out or are you working through Norco direct. Pers ally I would take it it right to the dealer and get it fixed.
Erik
Both actually, Norco is sending me out the replacement and contacting me directly with updates but the dealers hands are tied cuz Norco doesn’t have the bolt. I’ve had a long time good standing with the bike shop and actually worked there for several years. But I’m hitting a wall now.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Bummer situation. Regarding the 2021 optics not being available yet, it's actually the opposite: they're all gone. They were all pre-sold to dealers so they never appeared as "in stock" on the website.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am in a similar position. i bust my 2020 frame and took it to my dealer in january. It got the green light to be warranty replaced. I am now 4 months into waiting for it. Norco put the delays down to the pandemic, which i do understand, but its getting somewhat tiresome now. Especially when you see and read about folks getting their 2021 bikes from dealers (albeit it not in the UK, as our dealer network is Evans cycles and its unclear if they are continuing. They list no 2021 Norco's).

But yeah, wyleeboxer i feel your pain!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am in a similar position. i bust my 2020 frame and took it to my dealer in january. It got the green light to be warranty replaced. I am now 4 months into waiting for it. Norco put the delays down to the pandemic, which i do understand, but its getting somewhat tiresome now. Especially when you see and read about folks getting their 2021 bikes from dealers (albeit it not in the UK, as our dealer network is Evans cycles and its unclear if they are continuing. They list no 2021 Norco's).

But yeah, wyleeboxer i feel your pain!!
Boy I’m really wondering if getting the parts from Norco is ever going to happen? Sorry about your situation as well, wish I knew where they sourced they’re pivot bolts, perhaps China or another offshore manufacture?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Boy I’m really wondering if getting the parts from Norco is ever going to happen? Sorry about your situation as well, wish I knew where they sourced they’re pivot bolts, perhaps China or another offshore manufacture?
yeah, it sucks. I have had to buy something else to tide my over until it arrives (which has cost me ££££). I know they are busy, but a reply to my emails wouldnt go amiss.

but hey ho.... first world problems and all that jazz!

Its a shame they wont release the data to you for the bolt, at least then you could go to a machine shop and get one made.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Both actually, Norco is sending me out the replacement and contacting me directly with updates but the dealers hands are tied cuz Norco doesn’t have the bolt. I’ve had a long time good standing with the bike shop and actually worked there for several years. But I’m hitting a wall now.
How complicated is the bolt? I would take it into a local machine shop and have them turn one up on a lathe. It might have a cost, but there is also a cost to you (more emotional than financial) for not having a bike to ride for many months.

·
Registered
372 Posts
That's what I was thinking. The thread pitch is standard (and published in the spec list) so provided you had a head that secured properly and wouldn't damage the bike, job done until you get the proper replacement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's what I was thinking. The thread pitch is standard (and published in the spec list) so provided you had a head that secured properly and wouldn't damage the bike, job done until you get the proper replacement.
Well the bolt is a bit more complicated. Not sure where I would even begin to look? Allen key insert is even on the smaller diameter side, or opposite side then normal. Large diameter OD side fits perfectly into insert of the aluminum seat stay... thanks for all and any further help folks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's definitely not standard, so it will be a custom made part. I would start by searching Machine Shop in your local area. Take in the parts and ask for a quote. They may need to keep the parts to measure them up, so if they do that make sure they give you some documentation that indicates they have the part. This is to make sure they don't loose it and you can get it back. Also make sure it's made 1:1, so if there are any small steps on the faces they machine these too.

They may start from scratch, or machine down a larger bolt.

Also think about what has to be exactly the same and what can differ. For example on the thread side of the bolt you need that 1:1, but on the hex head side, you could get away with it being a flat surface and not tapered up.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Also if that cylindrical surface just above the thread interfaces with the inner diameter of a bearing, that dimension has to be spot on! If you have a spare bearing bring that along.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Also if that cylindrical surface just above the thread interfaces with the inner diameter of a bearing, that dimension has to be spot on! If you have a spare bearing bring that along.
Thanks for the tips, hopefully I can find someone locally and see what they can do. To me it seems like such proprietary part, but hey if someone can machine this out great! Thanks again for all the help I’ll keep ya posted

·
Danger Zone
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #374 ·

Just posting again to reiterate how much I love this bike. The C3 build is just perfect to me; every component on it functions flawlessly. I can't really imagine ever wanting a "higher" end build since this works so well and the orange is just a stunning color. If I was building a bike from the ground up I think I would still end up choosing a lot of the parts on this bike. I occasionally wonder if maybe it would have been nice to have the extra travel of the Sight to make the ride a little more plush, but overall I think this was the right choice as the amount of travel is just right for probably 90-95% of my riding so far.

·
Registered
46 Posts
View attachment 1927324

View attachment 1927325

Just posting again to reiterate how much I love this bike. The C3 build is just perfect to me; every component on it functions flawlessly. I can't really imagine ever wanting a "higher" end build since this works so well and the orange is just a stunning color. If I was building a bike from the ground up I think I would still end up choosing a lot of the parts on this bike. I occasionally wonder if maybe it would have been nice to have the extra travel of the Sight to make the ride a little more plush, but overall I think this was the right choice as the amount of travel is just right for probably 90-95% of my riding so far.
Yup, loving the Optic in Orange. It's been eye opening riding a 29er.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for posting these pics up! Despite being down in the dumps waiting for my warranty frame, as and when it arrives it will be the orange... which looking at your pics looks amazing (despite me thinking it was my least favourite colour). So thanks for restoring my faith!

MY only worry is, that i have a red lyrik to go on it.... which might not work with the orange!

·
Registered
18 Posts
View attachment 1927324

View attachment 1927325

That orange is very cool. A member of VMBA as well, the recent snow sucks but next week is looking much better.

·
Danger Zone
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #380 ·
That orange is very cool. A member of VMBA as well, the recent snow sucks but next week is looking much better.
Yep, the early spring was nice, but I think this snow will delay more trail systems from opening for at least a few more weeks.

361 - 380 of 415 Posts