Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 417 Posts

·
Danger Zone
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Much of the conversation in the 2020 Optic thread had moved on to the 2021 model year; starting a new thread for clarity.

Also, answering a few questions that people have had so far about the 2021 Optic based on my experience:
  • When Jenson USA built my bike (2021 Optic C3 size L), they claimed it weighed in at 32.4 lbs (with tubes, no pedals)
  • The large comes with a 170mm dropper, despite the Norco website stating 150mm for M/L
And a few pictures of my steed, as it is just plain beautiful and I can't resist posting them again. I love that the pearl paint finishes are coming back in style. The last few bikes I've owned have been the matte paint finish and it's just boring.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
that color is freeking awesome - truly!! I'd buy it - but can't "swap frames" without the wifey noticing in that color. Make it black or silver? yeah - I can work w it :).

Post up some ride reports as well if you don't mind??

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I’m not sure if anyone noticed but the rear if the 2021 is completely different. Another 3 weeks and mine should be here.

Erik

·
Registered
248 Posts
You can see it in the parts diagrams.It appears stouter and the way the bearings in face for the Horst link look different. Also take a look at the chainstay brace. Much thicker.

Erik
Hi,

I love these norco documents. Is there a way of finding a similar document for my bike? (2021 Fluid HT 1)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a 2021 optic C3 that should be delivered in a couple weeks. I was wondering what the approximate weight of the wheel set is (without tyres). The C3 comes with stan's rims and a shimano hubs.

Thinking of upgrading to carbon wheel set if the weight reduction is significant enough.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you look at a sideview of the '20 and '21 rear swing arms you will notice the lower swingarm on '20 is not symmetrical driveline vs non-driveline side. On the '21 Optic the swimarm is symmetrical driveline vs non-driveline. Kinda cool!

They also changed the derailleur hanger thread pitch on the '21 models. Boo!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you look at a sideview of the '20 and '21 rear swing arms you will notice the lower swingarm on '20 is not symmetrical driveline vs non-driveline side. On the '21 Optic the swimarm is symmetrical driveline vs non-driveline. Kinda cool!

They also changed the derailleur hanger thread pitch on the '21 models. Boo!!
I thought it uses the Sram universal derailleur hanger (UDH), which was supposed to be, you know, universal.

2020 optic is V2 and the 2021 is V2.1.

If someone could explain what's going on it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I thought it uses the Sram universal derailleur hanger (UDH), which was supposed to be, you know, universal.

2020 optic is V2 and the 2021 is V2.1.

If someone could explain what's going on it would be appreciated.
How I see it is they changed the thread pitch of the rear axle from the 2020 1.75mm to the 2021 1mm so you can use a SRAM UDH.

Another question, what is everybody getting along with their 2021 from Norco. Are you getting a shock pump, sealant, tubeless valves, extr derailleur hanger, fork/shock tokens, etc?

Erik

·
Danger Zone
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How I see it is they changed the thread pitch of the rear axle from the 2020 1.75mm to the 2021 1mm so you can use a SRAM UDH.

Another question, what is everybody getting along with their 2021 from Norco. Are you getting a shock pump, sealant, tubeless valves, extr derailleur hanger, fork/shock tokens, etc?

Erik
None of the above immediately, probably a derailleur hanger eventually. Already had a shock pump. If you don't have one you need one.

It comes with sealant and valves. Norco's Ride Aligned system recommends (for me and I assume pretty much everyone else) the same number of tokens that are preinstalled. I wouldn't bother buying more until you try the Ride Aligned settings and go from there.

·
Registered
88 Posts

Erik
Thanks for the info! The UDH is great. I have couple bikes running them and keep a spare in the parts bin. I even had one reseat a chain last week on an ebike when it jumped off the smallest sprocket under heavy load and a fast multi sprocket gear change. Looking forward to receiving my optic in a couple weeks. Will post some snaps and I for when it arrives.

·
Danger Zone
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The 2021 Ride Aligned settings so far have been very good. The fork might be a bit too stiff as I haven't used anywhere near full travel yet, but overall it still feels very good.

On my local trails there are a good number of small jumps and drops that I've become familiar with. On my Jeffsy (2018 version -- before the redesign), there was always a feeling of "oomph" upon landing whether the suspension bottomed out or not. I can't tell if it's the bike geometry, the suspension, whether my old suspension settings were just bad, or whether the Ride Aligned settings make that big of a difference, but it now feels like I just glide over these same drops. It's certainly not as light and nimble as the Jeffsy, but it does feel more stable and still plenty of fun.

So far I'm really impressed overall. It's kind of cool to not have the climb switch. I used to always think about flipping it when climbing and whether it would be more efficient to switch to pedal mode on smooth stuff, but now I just ride, no messing with anything.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I have a 2021 optic C3 that should be delivered in a couple weeks. I was wondering what the approximate weight of the wheel set is (without tyres). The C3 comes with stan's rims and a shimano hubs.

Thinking of upgrading to carbon wheel set if the weight reduction is significant enough.
I pulled the stock wheels and weighed them without tires without riding them at all. With tape, they were 2183g together.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have Kovee Pro 30's on mine which is a 1500 gram wheelset. The difference isn't that noticeable on the scale (my XL with MUCH lighter parts than stock only clocks in at less than a pound lighter than Goldfly's Large at stock), but when you put the pedal down there's a big difference in the "get up and go" of the bike. Whether or not its worth it for you will depend on how you ride the bike. For me, this is replacing a 26 pound trail hardtail. If I were doing another build that would totally be justified on the platform (similar to a stock C2) meant for smashing stuff, I'd be hard pressed to spend the extra cash on carbon hoops.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2021 C3 owner here. I’m thinking about swapping the MT401 levers out for something better. The lever doesn’t really agree with me and I much prefer the deore levers I had on my previous bike. The calipers feel great and for me there is no shortage of stopping power. Has anyone swapped them out? I’m thinking of putting on some zee or SLX levers. Thoughts?

·
Registered
88 Posts
2021 C3 owner here. I’m thinking about swapping the MT401 levers out for something better. The lever doesn’t really agree with me and I much prefer the deore levers I had on my previous bike. The calipers feel great and for me there is no shortage of stopping power. Has anyone swapped them out? I’m thinking of putting on some zee or SLX levers. Thoughts?
I think the issue with the 401 levers on the C3 are the hoses. The base deore (and then higher spec levers) use the BH90 hoses but the 401s might use a BH59 or BH80 hose. I'm not sure if the hoses are cross compatible. I don't have my C3 yet and I was thinking the same as you. I'm definitely no a fan of that large lever.

I guess the first thing you can do is check what the hose is fitted to your 401s and then drop the same question into the dedicated break thread to see what they say and then report back here with the answer, as I'm definitely interested in this too!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I don't think the inner/outer diameter is different... there's only one olive/barb hose for Shimano stuff if I recall.... I'll check at work in a couple days and get back to y'all if the Shimano brake kit has multiple options for barb/olive/nuts. That should determine it. I thought the difference in hose fitment was mostly at the caliper end, which if you are willing to shorten the hose a bit to put a different nut on - won't matter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't think the inner/outer diameter is different... there's only one olive/barb hose for Shimano stuff if I recall.... I'll check at work in a couple days and get back to y'all if the Shimano brake kit has multiple options for barb/olive/nuts. That should determine it. I thought the difference in hose fitment was mostly at the caliper end, which if you are willing to shorten the hose a bit to put a different nut on - won't matter.
Thank you! I sure hope all it takes is a swap and quick lever bleed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 417 Posts