Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 489 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Thought I'd start a thread for owners of the new Intense 951 series bikes as some of us have purchased direct-to-consumer and may be able to help each other out with assembly, tips, riding experiences, etc. For me, the Trail is my first real MTB purchase after a 20-year hiatus from the sport. I tried to get back in to it with a front suspension aluminum hard tail from 1998, but it just wasn't working. Very happy with my purchase so far, working through a couple of small assembly issues at the moment. Anyone else here who has made the purchase?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wait. Is your bike 2 different colors? Did you buy 2 bikes?

C'mon man. Post a pic of your bike, not a stock photo.
You got it.

Hardly gotten it dirty yet. Put on my Chesters and odi Eite Pro grips (which, coincidentally, seen almost identical to the Intense grips without the Intense logo).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nice to see this thread. I have two XCs at my household. One for me and other one for my son( L and M). The bikes have been great overall. I live in SF Bay Area and XC model is great for climbing on steep hills of Northern CA. I have probably put about 300+ miles since I got mine. So far, everything has been great and better than my expectations. I should mention that, I noticed that recommended shock pressure is a little too high (could be because I use my own pump not the one that is included in the box). I had to lower about 20psi to find the sweet spot. I am about 185lbs with the gear and I am using 70 psi for the fork and 170 for the rear. At the end of long rides, I get about max %80 travel on both rear and front shock.

BTW, I swapped the sram NX chainring with Absolute Black Oval 32T. It climbs even better with the oval chainring. I also put some helicopter tape around the frame. We have very bad loose gravel all around, and didn't want it to get chipping and scratches.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I bought the 951 XC, I live on Front Range of Colorado with lots and lots and lots of climbing. This bike is great on climbs and even more suprising on the downs, super capable. I rode for 15 years from 1990-2005 mostly on a Zaskar with 50 mm fork and 100 mm stem and bought a Roscoe 7 in January, super capable but HT beats me up as I like to go fast. I looked at Spur, Ripley, Signal Peak all not availble. Saw on ad on my phone for this bike at Costco, bought it Wednesday night was here Monday afternoon. Easy to set up and like they include torque wrench and tubeless conversion kits! I put a 30 tooth oval and some 3m paint film protection on frame.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice to see this thread. I have two XCs at my household. One for me and other one for my son( L and M). The bikes have been great overall. I live in SF Bay Area and XC model is great for climbing on steep hills of Northern CA. I have probably put about 300+ miles since I got mine. So far, everything has been great and better than my expectations. I should mention that, I noticed that recommended shock pressure is a little too high (could be because I use my own pump not the one that is included in the box). I had to lower about 20psi to find the sweet spot. I am about 185lbs with the gear and I am using 70 psi for the fork and 170 for the rear. At the end of long rides, I get about max %80 travel on both rear and front shock.

BTW, I swapped the sram NX chainring with Absolute Black Oval 32T. It climbs even better with the oval chainring. I also put some helicopter tape around the frame. We have very bad loose gravel all around, and didn't want it to get chipping and scratches.
I ended up getting the 951 Trail, but having some second thoughts that I should've bought the XC.I'm new to MTB (as my UN suggests lol), what kind of trails are good to ride in the SF BayArea as I live in the same area.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Similar to [mention]Novice-Rider [/mention] , I'm thinking I bought too big with my Trail. I'm 5'10" (inseam usually 32" in jeans) which I thought put me well in to the range of the Large. But I found with seat at the midpoint on the rails and the seat post slammed down as far as it would go, I'm about an inch too high. I've improved it by moving the seat forward on the rails, but the bike still feels big. I definitely don't feel nimble riding it. Being that I'm traveling eastern US wooded trails, I'm thinking the Medium might have been the better fit.

I'm also out of shape and unconditioned so that could be part of it too. :)

Anyone around my height satisfied with the Large?

Also, anyone looking to sell the dropper post out of a Small bike. That has 125mm travel vs the 150 on the medium and up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I ended up getting the 951 Trail, but having some second thoughts that I should've bought the XC.I'm new to MTB (as my UN suggests lol), what kind of trails are good to ride in the SF BayArea as I live in the same area.
I think, you should hang on the trail version for a while to see if you like it. Especially considering there are no inventory for comparable bikes unless you want to get the used overpriced bikes that are on craigslist now. If you are having hard time climbing then I would recommend trying an oval chainring with smaller teeth count. You would definitely be able to tell the difference if you go down to 28 or 30 tooth.

Depending on which side of the bay you live, I think you could probably find some really nice trails or fire roads around. I am mostly riding my bike for climbing longer distance. I live near Fremont, I ride around Garin park or Coyote hills regularly. I would recommend checking out the MTB Project | Mountain Bike Trail Maps there are so many trails around. It is summer time so if you live inland, you might want to get close to the bay for cooler weather. There are some really nice trails around Rodeo Beach in the north and Wilder Ranch in Santa Cruz.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Similar to [mention]Novice-Rider [/mention] , I'm thinking I bought too big with my Trail. I'm 5'10" (inseam usually 32" in jeans) which I thought put me well in to the range of the Large. But I found with seat at the midpoint on the rails and the seat post slammed down as far as it would go, I'm about an inch too high. I've improved it by moving the seat forward on the rails, but the bike still feels big. I definitely don't feel nimble riding it. Being that I'm traveling eastern US wooded trails, I'm thinking the Medium might have been the better fit.

Also, anyone looking to sell the dropper post out of a Small bike. That has 125mm travel vs the 150 on the medium and up.

I'm 5,9 and I am riding XC large. I wanted a large because it has longer wheelbase and also longer reach which I like better. I tried my sons medium XC and it felt like my arms were getting sore after 1hr of riding. I like the L much better for the kind of riding that I do. Keep in mind that trail version has shorter reach, you would definitely feel it if you go to a M with your height.

I had the same issue as you mentioned about the seat post being a little too high at the lowest setting. Mine was off about 1/2 inch, and I actually removed the dropper post then cut the frame tube with a dremel. It was very easy process and it worked like a charm.
Edit: I just looked at the picture of the Trail version, seems like you wont be able to cut the frame due to the triangle that extends all the way to the top. The XC model doesn't have that triangle so it was easier to deal with it.

The only option that you have is to replace the dropper post with a shorter travel one as you mentioned.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think, you should hang on the trail version for a while to see if you like it. Especially considering there are no inventory for comparable bikes unless you want to get the used overpriced bikes that are on craigslist now. If you are having hard time climbing then I would recommend trying an oval chainring with smaller teeth count. You would definitely be able to tell the difference if you go down to 28 or 30 tooth.

Depending on which side of the bay you live, I think you could probably find some really nice trails or fire roads around. I am mostly riding my bike for climbing longer distance. I live near Fremont, I ride around Garin park or Cayote hills regularly. I would recommend checking out the MTB Project | Mountain Bike Trail Maps there are so many trails around. It is summer time so if you live inland, you might want to get close to the bay for cooler weather. There are some really nice trails around Rodeo Beach in the north and Wilder Ranch in Santa Cruz.
The bike admittedly feels a bit sluggish, but I'm coming from a 26" hard tail so I'd imagine this is normal (bigger tire and bike overall). Thanks for the app suggestion, I'll check it out so I can pick some new trails to ride on before I make tweaks to the bike. The only other piece I'm looking at is some PPF. What brand did you go with? I was thinking of ridewraps and running the primer 29 kit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The bike admittedly feels a bit sluggish, but I'm coming from a 26" hard tail so I'd imagine this is normal (bigger tire and bike overall). Thanks for the app suggestion, I'll check it out so I can pick some new trails to ride on before I make tweaks to the bike. The only other piece I'm looking at is some PPF. What brand did you go with? I was thinking of ridewraps and running the primer 29 kit.
I can see it feeling sluggish compare to a 26inch hard tail. I am coming from a 26inch FS stumpjumper. At first, I was also a little hesitant and after few days of riding the new bike I switched back to my 26incher for a ride and I felt the difference. It was almost like day and night difference for comfort and control. I then put my old bike on Craigslist and sold it.

I ordered the following from Amazon. It was cheap and more than enough to cover two bikes.
ISC Racerstape Surface Protection Tape / Helicopter Tape 2 Inch x 12 Feet Amazon.com: ISC Racerstape Surface Protection Tape / Helicopter Tape 2 Inch x 12 Feet: Automotive

·
Registered
44 Posts
My Trail was stolen over the weekend. But here's my experience with it while I had it.

Pros:
Climbs great and acceleration is quick. I was able to ride longer and maintain speed on flat sections.

Finish is nice. Frame looks and feels quality for the most part. Frame us also nice and quiet. Good cable management and a thick chainstay protector.

Regolith tires are excellent if you want to be efficient but still have decent grip. I wanted more front end grip so I put a Hellkat on the front. Even so, I was happy with the stock tires.

Trp brakes had decent power and are super easy to service. I like that it doesn't come with Sram or Shimano. The big levers give you a lot of leverage. Stock resin pads are powerful but seemed to overheat quickly.

The torque wrench is a nice bonus.

Cons:
The suspension tune sucks. Both the fork and shock are hyperactive and you can't slow the rebound down. You choose fast or really fast, that's it. I couldn't get 30 percent sag on the shock, even though it has a huge volume spacer in it from the factory (I'm 170lbs).

Although I liked the TRPs, they ended up leaking from the bleed screws (how I found out how easy they are to service) and was offered new calipers from TRP before it was stolen (enjoy your contaminated pads shithead!!).

The stock dropper post is really bad. It didn't want to drop unless I slammed by butt down. If I was seated and hit the lever (also bad, cheap feeling) it wouldn't drop. I would have to pick my butt up, hit the lever, then push it down. There was too much post sticking out anyway, so I replaced it with a PNW Rainier Gen 3 and Loam lever.

The NX derailleur is absolute garbage. Slaps around making a god-awful noise and shifts worse than my cheaper Advent X.

Personal notes:
I like the Fizik saddle but I didn't get along with it on 2+ hour rides.

Changed the low stock bar to a 38mm rise.

I wish it could fit a bigger water bottle (size medium fit 22oz max).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oval chain rings are very new to me.

When I look at Absolute Black’s website, there appears to be two model chainrings for the NX setup. One with a 6mm offset and one with a 3mm (called BOOST).

Can anyone share which is applicable to this bike?

And would I maintain a 32t setup to match the original? I am pleased so far with the gearing on the bike and would like to retain it as much as possible.

Thanks!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Oval chain rings are very new to me.

When I look at Absolute Black's website, there appears to be two model chainrings for the NX setup. One with a 6mm offset and one with a 3mm (called BOOST).

Can anyone share which is applicable to this bike?

And would I maintain a 32t setup to match the original? I am pleased so far with the gearing on the bike and would like to retain it as much as possible.

Thanks!

You want the 3 mm offset which is for boost wheels aka 12x148. The 6 mm is for non boost. I am not sure of max chainring size you can ask Intense via their chat but it looked like you could do the 32 oval. I went with 30t oval as I had one on hand.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm 5,9 and I am riding XC large. I wanted a large because it has longer wheelbase and also longer reach which I like better. I tried my sons medium XC and it felt like my arms were getting sore after 1hr of riding. I like the L much better for the kind of riding that I do. Keep in mind that trail version has shorter reach, you would definitely feel it if you go to a M with your height.

I had the same issue as you mentioned about the seat post being a little too high at the lowest setting. Mine was off about 1/2 inch, and I actually removed the dropper post then cut the frame tube with a dremel. It was very easy process and it worked like a charm. The other option that you have is to replace the dropper post with a shorter travel one as you mentioned.
I think the trail version has more reach at 475 mm for large vs 457 mm for XC large.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think the trail version has more reach at 475 mm for large vs 457 mm for XC large.
I think, Trail L has reach of 467 mm vs 457mm for the XC. But, the reach on the paper is a little misleading becasue it measures the horizontal distance from the BB to the handle bar. The issue is the effective reach from middle of the seat to the handle bar. Since, the XC model has slacker seat angle the reach feels longer compare to the trail version. At first, I ordered a M trail version for my son which we returned back to Costco and ordered the XC for him. I compared the effective reach of both models before returning the Trail version and it was almost 1/2 inch shorter compare to the XC model (at the same seat height level).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am in the bay area too and I also wanted to know if XC or Trail version is a better fit here. Is 3lb or so weight difference significant in terms of climbing? Should I optimize for local trails or rather have a bike with bit aspirations. Also curious how the 72 degree STA holding up in XC - I thought that part was out of norm in this short travel trail bike category.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am in the bay area too and I also wanted to know if XC or Trail version is a better fit here. Is 3lb or so weight difference significant in terms of climbing? Should I optimize for local trails or rather have a bike with bit aspirations. Also curious how the 72 degree STA holding up in XC - I thought that part was out of norm in this short travel trail bike category.
My reason for picking the Trail over the XC was that I wanted the most well rounded/rugged bike. I was never concerned with picking the fastest or the lightest. Coming into this without any experience, I selected the trail. In retrospect, I believe the XC would've been better as it's a lighter bike and is more than capable enough for what I would ride. I don't foresee myself doing any crazy jumps or competition riding, just casual trail riding.
In regards to geometry I would not be the best to ask lol.

·
Registered
15 Posts

I am 6'1" and got the XL and I am glad I did. My previous bike was a hardtail L and I had move my saddle all the way back and still felt off. Try playing with saddle see if you get a good fit. Another thing is have a correct PSI in the rear shock. For me by default it was less - made the bike squishy and slack like a Harley.

1 - 20 of 489 Posts