Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

201 - 220 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Does anybody know if the Trance X 29 3 comes with a remote lockout switch for the Fox Float DPS? It looks like I can install one, curious if it comes on the bike. Couldn't find that info on Giant's site.

Also, at 5'10" and 31" inseam, am I better off on Med or Large? I currently ride a Fathom 2 in Large (27.5) and wondering if I should go with the same size in the Trance X.

·
Registered
291 Posts
No remote lockouts on any Giant trail bikes and is serious coin to get the parts to convert the DPS. Rather go for a Scott Genius if a lockout is something you want on this type of bike.

·
Registered
150 Posts
No remote lockouts on any Giant trail bikes and is serious coin to get the parts to convert the DPS. Rather go for a Scott Genius if a lockout is something you want on this type of bike.
Thanks, I damned near bought a Genius before I got my Fathom. How does that bike compare to the Trance X otherwise?

I know I would lockout more often if I had a switch. I seem to either forget to lock out or to open it up.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Similar travel, but the Trance X has much more contemporary geometry. Enduro Magazine (the German one) has reviewed the Genius a few times. Seems like a decent bike. Can I ask why you are specifically looking for a longish travel bike with a lockout?

·
Registered
150 Posts
My Large Trance X Adv 1 is 29.2 lbs out of the box without pedals. Hope this is helpful.
Nice!

I found one locally and looking at it on sunday. We agreed on $2000 for the cheap model but he upgraded gears and shifters to XTR. Only damage to the bike is paint is worn off on down tube from rubbing against a tailgate. Dude used a towel that fell off.

Does this sound like a good deal?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does anyone know what kind of hubs are giant two dbl? They came with the wheels on my trance X1 alu. Wheelset is Giant TR1 29 if that helps.

Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I’m curious if anyone has an opinion on the 2 vs 1 models of the Trance X Advanced 29, particularly when it comes to the suspension (2 has Rockshox Deluxe Select+ & Pike Select, 1 has Fox DPX2 & 36 Performance Elite).

I realize there are also differences in drivetrain (NX vs GX) and brakes (SRAM vs Shimano), but I understand those a bit better. I have no experience with Rockshox setups. I’m coming from an XC bike (Anthem 29 with Fox) which, while pretty capable, does struggle in sustained rooty and rocky descents. I wouldn’t be taking the Trance X jumping or on big drops, mostly long descents through chunk.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Have a dilemma. Looking for a 2-3k trail bike for my son. He's 6' 3/4" tall with about a 32-33" inseam. I am 6'3" with about a 35 1/2" inseam. It would be great if we could both ride this bike. I'm sure an XL is too large for him, but do you think I could ride a L? There is an X2 that just came into a LBS, but was hoping to find an X3. If there is a chance we both could use it then the 3k is a little easier to spend. Of course going to ride it around the parking lot, but that isn't the same as experience on the trail.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Is it worth it to upgrade my wheels to Giant Trx-2 carbon wheel set? I can get a set of takeoffs with tires for $750 and keep my aluminum wheels as a backup.
My Trance X has Shimano XTR which is a good bit lighter, figure this could be a good next step.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Have a dilemma. Looking for a 2-3k trail bike for my son. He's 6' 3/4" tall with about a 32-33" inseam. I am 6'3" with about a 35 1/2" inseam. It would be great if we could both ride this bike. I'm sure an XL is too large for him, but do you think I could ride a L? There is an X2 that just came into a LBS, but was hoping to find an X3. If there is a chance we both could use it then the 3k is a little easier to spend. Of course going to ride it around the parking lot, but that isn't the same as experience on the trail.
Inseam shouldnt matter too much. Given his proportions it sounds like hed be better suited to the XL reach than maybe you would be. Im 6'1 and the L was just about right tho slightly on the long side. If you dont like running 60mm stems then go XL. I think they both come with at least a 50 stem stock.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Inseam shouldnt matter too much. Given his proportions it sounds like hed be better suited to the XL reach than maybe you would be. Im 6'1 and the L was just about right tho slightly on the long side. If you dont like running 60mm stems then go XL. I think they both come with at least a 50 stem stock.
I'm 5'10" on a large Trance X...it feels great but is this bike too big for me? I have a 30.5" inseam.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I'm 5'10" on a large Trance X...it feels great but is this bike too big for me? I have a 30.5" inseam.
Not at all. Its subjective at that point. If you liked running 60mm stems i could see if being a bit long but most dont. Also theres only 10mm diff in stack. So youll have slightly taller bars than the equovalent medium but thats it. You might be more comfortable in a med on tight trails etc but if it feels great go for it. Its not too big by any means.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bought mine 3 months ago and hate it. So ready to sell it. First 2 weeks riser took a crap. Had to get a new one. Rear brakes has never worked right, shop is trying to do a warranty. And shifting gears jumps. I've worked on it and shop cant get it dialed in either. So done with this bike.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Bought mine 3 months ago and hate it. So ready to sell it. First 2 weeks riser took a crap. Had to get a new one. Rear brakes has never worked right, shop is trying to do a warranty. And shifting gears jumps. I've worked on it and shop cant get it dialed in either. So done with this bike.
is it a SRAM bike? OE dropper? Which one did you get? the 2? don't throw the baby out with the bathwater..unless you hate the suspension or geo. slap some Shimano SLX and a bikeyoke dropper on there and you'll be good to go. you're gonna need good parts no matter what bike you have IMO.

where do you live?

·
Registered
7 Posts
is it a SRAM bike? OE dropper? Which one did you get? the 2? don't throw the baby out with the bathwater..unless you hate the suspension or geo. slap some Shimano SLX and a bikeyoke dropper on there and you'll be good to go. you're gonna need good parts no matter what bike you have IMO.

where do you live?
Its the 2021 trance 29 x 2. It has slx on it already. There is 3 warranties on it right now. And its unridable, the flip chip bolt came out as well. I unfortunately got a lemon.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
and its skipping? dang. re rear brake...maybe the pistons are new and a little sticky? you can clean/"lube" them carefully with mineral oil on a Qtip to help them break in. sorry to hear you're having problems with it. man, iono.

hindsight 20/20 and all, and some folks would argue you shouldn't have to do this, but I always like to completely go through a bike when it's new. Hard to trust the average (read: not ALL) bike shop mechanic. Find someone that's well recommended and pay them whatever they charge. It's worth it. The bike isn't a lemon, you'll get it tip top. unless the frame is misaligned or the pivots are wallowed out.

housebrand dropper posts? yeahh...i wish they'd just put a Walmart post in there and drop the MSRP by $150 so you can put that towards a real post.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No it's a good dropper post now. Just going to get the flip chip, had to order it today. Once it comes in I'm going to sell it. Just take my lost and move on.

201 - 220 of 250 Posts