Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

181 - 200 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
No, I currently live in Europe. But that would be quite special if I were the only one with an X1 :D
No you are not the one :)
I wanted to post a little review on the bike since it is a new bike and there is not so much reviews on internet. Also, excuse my english, i'm french :eekster:

I am 6'3" (190cm) and i went for a XL, I was afraid the bike would be too long but i fits perfectly ! I come from a 2014 Rocky Mountain Altitude with 450mm of reach, the Trance is 509.

I find the body position is good, feels very nice to pedal on it.
I have to say that I live in the French Alps and most of the time is going uphill for a while and the it's downhill time.

I find going uphill is very smooth with the maestro suspension, and the bike very stable going downhill, much more than my old bike (29er ?).
It is also very agile, I don't feel like driving a boat !
The XT brakes are so comfortable and powerfull too.

After 4 or 5 runs, I can say that I love the bike so far !

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Bought myself a Trance X

I have been looking at a bunch of different bikes over the last year, and finally committed to the Trance X3. Now I just need to wait until it arrives next spring. I can’t wait to ride it!!!! Hopefully Giant surprises us with an extra delivery or two before then.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So, today my replacement X 1 arrived. It's a really nice bike! It feels much lighter than the X 2, especially the wheels. The pivots near the flip chip that I had problems with look perfectly symmetrical and in good shape, and the most important part: it doesn't squeak! :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Getting used to a longer bike

I am 6' and 230 right now and picked up an X2 a couple weeks ago. i chose a L since that was what I was on before and am mostly torso with a 30" inseam. I only have one good ride on single track but found myself taking several corners too wide. i don't feel like the bike is to big for me other than some wide turns here and there. I have not done any adjustments on the bike ie tire pressures, shock pressures, flip chip. i was wondering if anyone else had too get used to the length as well and had any suggestions other than more seat time. My last bike was a XC 2009 GT Marathon 29r so I am used to a 29r but the bars were narrower, 31.8 with more of a rise. The stem also was longer and put the bars further forward. The bars feel a lot stiffer than my last bike and have toyed with going down to a 31.8 with bars with a bit of a rise but was wondering if anyone has made any stem and or bar switches. I absolutely love the 1 x 12 and this bike climbs better than my XC. i just got into biking more serious this summer so i don't have a lot of experience with the fine tuning of bikes. Thanks for listening to the newbie and any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah, I'm still getting used to the length of the bike too. What is important is to weight the front of the bike enough, so you have enough control and grip. Actively thinking about this while riding helps me.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
This is the bike for more agressive trails, faster speed and jumps. In mellow terrain and hiting flat turns or riding over flat-ish ground you need to shift your weight forward and dig the front wheel in because you're not weighing the front wheel enough when seated, it works fine when riding difficult terrain and steeper grades as the gravity pushes you forward, but flat ground you need to move around more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Are there any proper reviews of the bike out yet, other than first looks? Quite interested in this coming from a regular 27.5 Trance

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm really hoping that one of you guys with one of these tries to long stroke it and puts a coil on.

The maestro linkage is linear. The coil doesn’t play as well as a air shock. The natural progression, in an air shock, ramps up the farther you get into the stroke. Which makes up for the linear rate of the linkage to give you bottom out resistance, with out cranking up the compression like you would on the coil shock.

I asked the DVO tech about doing a coil on the T-X. He said air shock all the way on the Trance X.

·
Registered
233 Posts
https://youtu.be/Aj9T3MYZUfc
Bikers edge review trance x 29 pro

All the videos and reviews, and comparisons, are in the west and or at ski resorts, or bike parks.
I live in the Northern Virginia area. I need a bike for the true tight single track and switch backs, along with the multiple types of terrain and soil we have in this region. I do not I do not want a bike that is a pedal and Crankset DESTROYER!!!! Too low a BB.
I like a bike that does not dictate to me all the many places it will not allow pedaling!
A bike that performs well at: sprints, Climbs, descents, flat areas, roots, ruts, really rocky, loose soil, loose on hard, mud, sand, loam...
Our Appalachian mountains are older and not as peaked as the Rockies, or as tall.
NOT DOING GAP JUMPS AND BIKE PARKS.

Any of you able to ride and compare the other 12x-14x travel, brands/bikes to INTENSE, Santa Cruz Talboy or Hightower, Yeti SB130, specialized, GIANT TRANCE X pro, PIVOT 429, or maybe too much bike for here the SWITCHBLADE?
Is it true that the NEW redesigned SWITCHBLADE is such a better pedaling and handling magician that it is as good or better than a smaller travel bike like the 429 or Scott whatever model, etc.?
Are most of the bikes to long and slack to ride the tighter switchbacks?
Looking for a great all around MIDATLANTIC, totally different environment of riding.

Will the new Geometry of the LOW, long and slack, be harder on the knees since I assume the knee will be more in front of the pedal spindle vs traditional? Is the Intense geometry a little behind, in reality? Is this good or bad for a pedal everywhere bike? Not just descending!

How about the LIVE VALVE, is it just a way to Separate A fool from his money? Or does it truly make it like owning two or three different bikes? Does it make it a cross country bike and a trail bike and a enduro bike? Does it add in a lot of problems in cost and time and maintenance? Or does it just make the bike a lot better?

How good is the basic peddling platform and suspension on the Trance X? Without the Live Wire magic, is it as good or better than a DW link? Is it smooth or harsh? Slow and heavy feeling? What are the differences in sprinting, climbing, ascending tech/rocky and loose or roots, and tight switchbacks? Descending same?
WOW what horrible wheels the Trance X pro comes with! The wheels seem to be crap. Dt Swiss 360 is not on the website.
I am assuming the engagement points are horrible. I wonder if the hub is upgradable to the new much better engagement point? Do you have to pedal a quarter of the way around before the hub engages? specs on rim internal and ext. I FOUND THEM 30 int. 37 Ext. Spokes Sapir Lawer.Nipples? Is the hub upgradable? carbon quality? Do they crack easy? Will a 2.6 fit well in the back? Supposedly only takes 2.5?
From Giant: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trx-1-29-composite-mtb-wheel-2019
What is the quality of the frame carbon? Pivot bearings? Quality control?

I do not want to get beat up or jack hammered, but I don’t want a wet noodle.
I am 6 foot 1 inch tall and 165 pounds naked.

A bike and manufacture I can count on In the backcountry, and to have to have quality support post sale!!!!
Thank you, and good riding to you all!

·
Registered
233 Posts
The wheels seem to be crap. Dt Swiss 360 is not on the website.
I am assuming the engagement points are horrible. I wonder if the hub is upgradable to the new much better engagement point?
You can go to TRX1 wheels on GIANT website for some info.
Spokes are Sapim lazer 28 spoke.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
The wheels seem to be crap. Dt Swiss 360 is not on the website.
I am assuming the engagement points are horrible. I wonder if the hub is upgradable to the new much better engagement point?
You can go to TRX1 wheels on GIANT website for some info.
Spokes are Sapim lazer 28 spoke.
DT 350 has star ratchet internals, and can be upgraded easily. DT 370 uses pawls and can be upgraded, but not easily. You basically replace the internals and make it a 350, but you need the tools specific for each hub. You sure it's DT 360? Not familiar, but could be special OEM for Giant only. But if it has the star ratchet you can upgrade the engagement.

I'm riding a 370 hub now, and yes, it has crap engagement. I got used to it though, and now it doesn't bug me as bad as at first. Going from a Hope hub to a 370 hub is kind of a bummer.

EDIT: Googling says the 360 uses 3 pawl system

·
Registered
233 Posts
DT 350 has star ratchet internals, and can be upgraded easily. DT 370 uses pawls and can be upgraded, but not easily. You basically replace the internals and make it a 350, but you need the tools specific for each hub. You sure it's DT 360? Not familiar, but could be special OEM for Giant only. But if it has the star ratchet you can upgrade the engagement.

I'm riding a 370 hub now, and yes, it has crap engagement. I got used to it though, and now it doesn't bug me as bad as at first. Going from a Hope hub to a 370 hub is kind of a bummer.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trx-1-29-composite-mtb-wheel-2019
Per Giant website from the above link, says DT 360.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Anybody on an X 2 run into issues with the stock KMC chain on the Shimano SLX drivetrain?

LBS gave it the first free tune-up last week and the first ride after the low gears were extremely noisy and shifting sucked. Tried giving the barrel adjuster some tweaks but nothing helped. Thought it must have been a mistake in the tuning so took it back to the shop. The mechanics ran through everything but couldn't get the noise and chatter to go away, we were all stumped. Even checked hanger alignment which was fine. In the stand it ran through the gears perfectly fine but once on the bike and pedaling the noise returned.

Finally tried slapping on a Shimano XT chain with hyperglide+ and it runs flawlessly and silent now both in the stand and when riding.

It was just strange that it got along fine with the KMC chain before the first tune-up and only ran into issues after.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Alloy vs Carbon Weights

I searched around and didn't see this asked yet. Does anyone know the difference in weight between the alloy frame-only and carbon frame-only? I have heard from reviewers that the complete alloy builds are 3 to almost 5 pounds heavier than the complete carbon builds, but I wonder how much of that is from components. Any insight is appreciated!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Found a guy selling a takeoff DPX2 from the carbon Trance X and replaced the DPS. No ride report yet but I feel like this is the shock Giant should've equipped this bike with originally.

Attachments

181 - 200 of 240 Posts