Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
My gloves stink
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took delivery of an Exceed 8. Love the bike so far, but I want to add a dropper. I see the cable runs thru the headset cover/cap thing. Anyone actually done this? Advice?

·
My gloves stink
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Follow up on my own post. I installed a dropper. The cables-thru-the-top cap thing is more of an inconvenience than anything. Makes me wonder why Canyon did it this way- perhaps it’s cheaper to build a frame with no cable ports? The top cap is super flimsy plastic and it seems likely that over time the cables will elongate the holes thru which the cables pass. In the rain I expect that water will drip down the cables, leak through the cable holes in the top cap, into the frame, and out the drain hole beneath the bottom bracket. Possibly it will increase potential for exposure of the upper headset bearing to contamination. If you ride in the rain a lot, this is something I’d keep an eye on.

I was able to run the cable without removing the BB by using the Park Tool internal cable magnet tools. Someone elsewhere on this forum was able to do it using twine and a shop vac.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,120 Posts
Follow up on my own post. I installed a dropper. The cables-thru-the-top cap thing is more of an inconvenience than anything. Makes me wonder why Canyon did it this way- perhaps it’s cheaper to build a frame with no cable ports? The top cap is super flimsy plastic and it seems likely that over time the cables will elongate the holes thru which the cables pass. In the rain I expect that water will drip down the cables, leak through the cable holes in the top cap, into the frame, and out the drain hole beneath the bottom bracket. Possibly it will increase potential for exposure of the upper headset bearing to contamination. If you ride in the rain a lot, this is something I’d keep an eye on.

I was able to run the cable without removing the BB by using the Park Tool internal cable magnet tools. Someone elsewhere on this forum was able to do it using twine and a shop vac.
Some of us are not familiar with this bike. Got a photo? Thanks.
=sParty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.