Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1581 - 1600 of 1646 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a question on sizing of the '21 Epic Evo compared to previous model Epics. Yesterday my LBS posted on Facebook that they got several new Spesh models in stock, one of which was an Epic Evo. I figured chances were slim that they had the model and and size I wanted, but I reached out anyway, and sure enough...it was a Large Comp in black, exactly what I'm most interested in. I'm still not certain I want to buy new, but this was a great chance for me to test ride and confirm my interest. I got excited and went after work to check it out, but turns out it was a base model in raspberry color. Thankfully it was still my size and I took it for a spin. I loved it, but it definitely felt smaller under me than my current bike, a 2014 Epic Comp. I realize the geo couldn't be more different between these bikes, and after looking at the charts of each, I realized I would need a 70mm stem rather than the 60mm that comes stock on the Evo to match the reach on my 2014 Epic.

So my question is...for anyone who rode a size Large in previous model-year Epics (particularly 2014-2017 models), does the 2021 large feel ok? I'm about 6'1"/185cm with shoes on and could probably fit an XL if I wanted to, but I've always been happy on my 2014 Large.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Tires...

I know tired are a matter of personal preference and style, but I was thrilled with the improvement of trading out the rear Fast Trak for a 2.35 Ardent race. Mostly steeper XC style trails. The biggest difference is that the Ardent race corners much better at speed and maintains traction much better on anything loose/loose over hard going up or down.

Still running ground control up front. In case in anyone is interested.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tires...

I know tired are a matter of personal preference and style, but I was thrilled with the improvement of trading out the rear Fast Trak for a 2.35 Ardent race. Mostly steeper XC style trails. The biggest difference is that the Ardent race corners much better at speed and maintains traction much better on anything loose/loose over hard going up or down.

Still running ground control up front. In case in anyone is interested.
Nice to know! What wheels are you using (ID measure) and regarding the Ardent Race real size, since it's a 2.35, how does it compare to the GC (I assume it's a 2.3)?

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have a question on sizing of the '21 Epic Evo compared to previous model Epics. Yesterday my LBS posted on Facebook that they got several new Spesh models in stock, one of which was an Epic Evo. I figured chances were slim that they had the model and and size I wanted, but I reached out anyway, and sure enough...it was a Large Comp in black, exactly what I'm most interested in. I'm still not certain I want to buy new, but this was a great chance for me to test ride and confirm my interest. I got excited and went after work to check it out, but turns out it was a base model in raspberry color. Thankfully it was still my size and I took it for a spin. I loved it, but it definitely felt smaller under me than my current bike, a 2014 Epic Comp. I realize the geo couldn't be more different between these bikes, and after looking at the charts of each, I realized I would need a 70mm stem rather than the 60mm that comes stock on the Evo to match the reach on my 2014 Epic.

So my question is...for anyone who rode a size Large in previous model-year Epics (particularly 2014-2017 models), does the 2021 large feel ok? I'm about 6'1"/185cm with shoes on and could probably fit an XL if I wanted to, but I've always been happy on my 2014 Large.
I used to be 6'. I think I've shunk a half inch or so. I like a compact fit so the large is fine for me. At 6'1 I'd go for XL. My buddy is your height and went with XL and 10mm shorter stem.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
I used to be 6'. I think I've shunk a half inch or so. I like a compact fit so the large is fine for me. At 6'1 I'd go for XL. My buddy is your height and went with XL and 10mm shorter stem.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Not to make things more confusing but I am 6'1'' and I fit fine on my size L with a 70mm stem. I could probably size up as well. 6'1'' is definetely in between a L and XL. I would go with what is in stock and the terrain that you ride. Tight and twisty an L or more down hill and open trails an XL.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can't answer that, but the Medium size Evo has the concern.

Does anybody have an experience with this BlockLock headset? I found this article and looks like it might solve this big issue you are all having.

·
Registered
29 Posts

I ride an XL Epic Evo Comp and I'm 6'2". It fits great. I've never ridden older Epic models, but I tried out a Size Large 2021 Epic Evo and it I felt like I was going to go over the bars. I had to put the seat too high in order to make it fit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not to make things more confusing but I am 6'1'' and I fit fine on my size L with a 70mm stem. I could probably size up as well. 6'1'' is definetely in between a L and XL. I would go with what is in stock and the terrain that you ride. Tight and twisty an L or more down hill and open trails an XL.
I ride an XL Epic Evo Comp and I'm 6'2". It fits great. I've never ridden older Epic models, but I tried out a Size Large 2021 Epic Evo and it I felt like I was going to go over the bars. I had to put the seat too high in order to make it fit.
Thank you all for the helpful responses. It probably didn't help my test-riding experience that the seat height was a bit too low. My trails are definitely more tight and twisty. My riding will be about 90% dry, mild-terrain XC trails in Texas, with the other 10% being trips to other parts of the country with more rowdy terrain. I'm not getting any younger and my current bike is starting to feel like a pogo stick, even with a recent suspension refresh. I eagerly await modern geometry and components. At my height, I also ride a 56cm road frame because I like the quick handling and maneuverability that sizing down allows. I owned a 58cm for a few years and always felt stretched out on it; I'm afraid an XL Epic Evo might have me feeling the same. However, I won't hesitate to test ride an XL if I find one available.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nice to know! What wheels are you using (ID measure) and regarding the Ardent Race real size, since it's a 2.35, how does it compare to the GC (I assume it's a 2.3)?
Bone stock Comp wheels (I believe i25). I didn't measure the actual width. They looked pretty similar to the GC up front. I have read that the Ardent Race runs a pretty full 2.35-2.4. I'll measure later when at home.

I am not sure how it compares to the Ground Control specifically, since I haven't run the Ardent race up front on this bike (I ran them front and rear on an old 26er and loved them). The 3C obviously is tackier and does feel more durable (even at 120 tpi). I like the Ground Control pretty well. It's fast rolling and enough tread for most situations. It certainly gets bounced around on really rocky stuff, and in fast cornering, I have to be pretty careful to unweight it as best I can.

·
Orange Bikes USA Dealer
1,388 Posts

Does anybody have an experience with this BlockLock headset? I found this article and looks like it might solve this big issue you are all having.
I think I have that or something similar on my Norco Bigfoot VLT. I meant to take a look last night, but I forgot - as always.

If I remember, I will update.

·
Registered
160 Posts

Wouldn't work on the Epic Evo since there is no cup to press in since the bearing cups are integrated with the frame

·
Registered
10 Posts
Toying with the idea of getting a 130mm Pike for the Evo as a back-up & extra rowdy-mode option. I can't see this affecting the bike much, but it will rise the front and BB slightly, which is good news for me anyway.
Anyone tried this?
I’m considering this too. Also I have read that if you buy the 190x45 rear shock and replace the 190x40 you get 123mm of travel in the rear with plenty of clearance. 130 front and 123 rear. With that combo it’s got to be one of the lightest trail bikes out there.
Im also concerned if it will lift the front too much because I put 25mm rise handlebars on to clear the top tube problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
...and XL
Yup, XL too...I even put the SQ Lab 30x12 30mm riser bars on w/ all 3 spacers underneath and still don't completely clear. At 6'4" w/ a long torso I'm still trying to find my sweet spot and now playing around with different stem's trying to get comfy and protect my top tube in the process.

Don't get me wrong...love the bike...just trying to protect the investment and not be stuck back on the '06 Stumpy for another 9 months or so dealing w/ a repair or replacement, cause no matter how good you are... S*^T happens.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Well, my SID Ultimate 120 blew up and I had to send it in for service. It took about a month but it went through Jenson where I purchased it.

It also does not always lock out when I use the remote.

I don't think I've have ever used all the travel on our trails here so my guess is these forks are pretty much junk, but it is what it is. I'll stick to Fox going forward.
My SID Ultimate 120 is faultless and feels pretty plush too. I came from a 2019 S-Works Stumoy with a Pike and the SID Ultimate with RD damper has better small bump compliance and rides progressively through the whole travel much better. Best fork I’ve owned to date and all reviews I trust think the same.
Perfect bridge between an XC and all out trail fork for me. Also use all the travel when set up with the correct PSI(what’s recommended is too high)
You can always get a dud I guess though.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I’m considering this too. Also I have read that if you buy the 190x45 rear shock and replace the 190x40 you get 123mm of travel in the rear with plenty of clearance. 130 front and 123 rear. With that combo it’s got to be one of the lightest trail bikes out there.
Im also concerned if it will lift the front too much because I put 25mm rise handlebars on to clear the top tube problem.
Now you're getting to why I'm trying an alternate approach to the frame damage issue - I like the flat handlebar.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Had a bit of a delay in the build. I was originally trying to scavenge a cheap set of 29” wheels I had as an extra set, once I got to switching the free hub and end cap to microspline I had all sorts of issues with it not spinning freely, tried to trouble shoot, just said f it, and went for a set of WAO Faction with 1:1 hubs, all set up tonight finally and that part is good. Now it’s just getting the shifting dialed. Get the sense my derailuer may be poorly positioned and will start over from the beginning tomorrow with it, but can a few of you shimano 12 speed folks post a side on look of your derailuer in the smallest cog, want to see the angle it’s supposed to sit, maybe from 2-3 feet away? On my sb165 with xtr 12 speed the “xtr” logo sits almost parallel to ground when it’s in smallest cog, now with xt on this epic I think it may be too upright - ie I don’t have it positioned properly vis-a-vie the b tension and stopper plates.... so it goes... hope to be riding by Thursday. Everything else is dialed

the wheels for some karma

·
Registered
407 Posts
If you’re looking for a plush suspension you bought the wrong bike. You should have bought a Stumpjumper.
I don't necessarily need plush... but I would like it to be a bit more active and have the option to use most of the (alleged) available travel.

The Stumpjumper looks like an amazing ride, yet kinda overkill for my area.
But it might be necessary if the trend is for manufacturers to overstate suspension travel by 15%... I'll need to get a 140 so I might be able to use 120.

I removed the Gnar dog spacer from the shock, might be able to get in a short ride today.

Bob

1581 - 1600 of 1646 Posts