Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1221 - 1240 of 1662 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Good info, thanks for sharing! Do you have the Deluxe Select+ shock on yours? RockShox lists it at 340 grams (210x50, 2 tokens), vs. 231 for the SIDLuxe Ultimate (190x45 0 Tokens).
I have the stock select + but I would check the weight on Sram’s site again and compare the same size it looks like there is only a 5g difference.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Some progress tonight... more parts as I get more paychecks... ha!

I think I know the answer but the native rear brake mount is PM correct? Buying an adaptor for 180 rear and just want to confirm before buying PM2PM

·
Registered
3,085 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not getting close to using full travel on big drop at all, is it safe to run the Sidluxe Ultimate without any volume spacer?

these spacer are screwed on so I'm just checking

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you want compliance you cannot beat OneUp bars. They come in 20mm rise also. Only bar with more compliance are flexxbars
thanks
Yeah have read quite a bit on the one up
kinda wanted to keep stock stem just to save some money so far the length is OK I was back and forth with the one up though as that combo they have cant be beat when its in stock

·
Registered
511 Posts
Did you use the 31.8 or 35mm? I tried the 35 and couldn't feel a difference, especially for the price. I went back to the SWorks DH bar.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Might call these guys. I got mine from them a few weeks ago.

The best bicycle shop on the planet
Thank you. I did. They didn't have it. I called every other dealer and found ONE (the last Medium in the US? :) in a bike shop in CA. Yellow, but whatever. I had several calls with them but they would not ship it. It came down to me flying from CO to CA to pick it up or look for a used bike. Then I learned that the parts for my wheelset had been delayed a lot so I ended up buying a used bike since I couldn't have completed the build.
All stock minus the brakes. The previous owner "upgraded" the brakes to XTR 4-piston. For me, it's overkill for this bike and they are much heavier than the G2 ULT, but I have those on hand so I'll switch them and sell the XTRs.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Anyone installing a Stages PM on one of these by chance? I'm not sure the parts I have are compatible. I have the correct PM (left arm for SRAM DUB, etc), Stages G spindle and XX1 Drive side arm. What's tripping me is that the Stages G spindle is supposed to be 30mm in diameter, and the BB that comes with the bike (BSA 73 DUB) should be 29. So, I'd need a new BB, right? If so, which one?

Ideally www.bbinfinite.com has one since I have to return one and could use the credit, but I just can't find one that fits the bill. Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
If anyone is interested I would be willing to sell the SIDLuxe Ultimate that came with my S-Works frame, I'm running the Mara inline since I got the frame
I'm looking for one of these with an uncut steerer, or cut longer than 180mm. I'm going to use this bike for multi-day bikepacking trips/races so I want a more upright position (top of steerer ~ level with saddle). Let me know if yours could work.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Anyone installing a Stages PM on one of these by chance? I'm not sure the parts I have are compatible. I have the correct PM (left arm for SRAM DUB, etc), Stages G spindle and XX1 Drive side arm. What's tripping me is that the Stages G spindle is supposed to be 30mm in diameter, and the BB that comes with the bike (BSA 73 DUB) should be 29. So, I'd need a new BB, right? If so, which one?

Ideally www.bbinfinite.com has one since I have to return one and could use the credit, but I just can't find one that fits the bill. Any ideas?

Thanks!
I had a look at the table for the different spindles on the Stages website. It’s very confusing!

If you’ve got a Stages G spindle (SRAM Dub version) to hand I’d suggest using a digital caliper to measure its diameter and verify whether what you have is actually a 28.99mm (SRAM Dub) or 30mm (BB30 / PF30) diameter spindle. It’s not clear at all from the table.

If it’s a 28.99mm diameter spindle then you could use a standard SRAM Dub bottom bracket

If it’s a 30mm diameter spindle then you will require a BSA threaded to 30mm bottom bracket. Rotor do them as do some other companies

.:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had a look at the table for the different spindles on the Stages website. It’s very confusing!

If you’ve got a Stages G spindle (SRAM Dub version) to hand I’d suggest using a digital caliper to measure its diameter and verify whether what you have is actually a 28.99mm (SRAM Dub) or 30mm (BB30 / PF30) diameter spindle. It’s not clear at all from the table.

If it’s a 28.99mm diameter spindle then you could use a standard SRAM Dub bottom bracket

If it’s a 30mm diameter spindle then you will require a BSA threaded to 30mm bottom bracket. Rotor do them as do some other companies

.:)
Thank you! I actually did that 15 min ago. It's exactly 29mm, so DUB. A person at Stages had told me 3 times that the diameter was 30mm... Anyway, I know what BB I need to get now.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Question for the ones that are riding this bike already. Do you find yourself using the lockout a lot or not? I need to buy a new fork and I have to decide if to get one with the remote or not. I'm used to a remote for my Fox fork but if I'd like to do away with that if possible on this bike/fork. If the lockout is needed for most of the climbs then I'd go with a remote; if it's seldom used I'd go with the fork without remote.

Thanks.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Question for the ones that are riding this bike already. Do you find yourself using the lockout a lot or not? I need to buy a new fork and I have to decide if to get one with the remote or not. I'm used to a remote for my Fox fork but if I'd like to do away with that if possible on this bike/fork. If the lockout is needed for most of the climbs then I'd go with a remote; if it's seldom used I'd go with the fork without remote.

Thanks.
When I’m climbing I always have the fork and shock open. Most of the climbs are steep (granny gear) some are also rocky and rooted and technical. I typically climb seated. The fork open helps on rocks and roots, it doesn’t move much but just enough to help roll up and over. When I do stand on a climb the front does bob but not to the point that it bothers me. On dirt roads with long (many miles) climbs I’ll reach down and flip the fork to lock and stand up for a while to give my ass a break, on these situations the bob does bother me so I lock it and if I don’t the bob is more pronounced because of the smoother terrain. When I sit back down I open it again. I don’t feel the need for a lock for my riding.

·
Registered
160 Posts
How is the Mara? Can you compare it to the SIDLuxe? What fork are you running?
I never rode the bike with the SIDLuxe since I was already happy with the Mara IL I was running on my Pivot Mach 4SL, but for everything I read the SIDLuxe is a more racy shock and very efficient, while the Mara is more sensitive. I live in Phoenix so very rocky here so I prefer a more sensitive shock for better traction over ultimate efficiency plus I've been extremely impressed with Manitou's new suspension products, I have a Mara IL and Mezzer on another bike plus I was running a Mara pro on my older Reign.
Fork wise I'm running a Fox 34 SC with Avalanche Damper and Vorsprung Luftkappe, not the lightest setup but the ride and control is just amazing for a 120mm fork.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I never rode the bike with the SIDLuxe since I was already happy with the Mara IL I was running on my Pivot Mach 4SL, but for everything I read the SIDLuxe is a more racy shock and very efficient, while the Mara is more sensitive. I live in Phoenix so very rocky here so I prefer a more sensitive shock for better traction over ultimate efficiency plus I've been extremely impressed with Manitou's new suspension products, I have a Mara IL and Mezzer on another bike plus I was running a Mara pro on my older Reign.
Fork wise I'm running a Fox 34 SC with Avalanche Damper and Vorsprung Luftkappe, not the lightest setup but the ride and control is just amazing for a 120mm fork.
Thanks for your comments!

So far I have been happy with the SIDLuxe. I don't have many complaints and can confirm how efficient it feels, supportive would be a good word for it. If I were to be critical though the trails where it's very rough and rocky trails it can be fairly unforgiving although I think this might be a result of the single pivot suspension design rather than the shock itself.

On the fork I was initially unimpressed with the SID ultimate and wanted to find an alternative quickly. However after performing a lower rebuild and getting in 2 rides so far I can comment that the low speed sensitivity was dramatically improved, so It's no longer a priority to find an alternative.

Despite this I have heard great things about the ride qualities of Manitou so I might just let curiosity get the better of me and try them out anyway.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks for your comments!

So far I have been happy with the SIDLuxe. I don't have many complaints and can confirm how efficient it feels, supportive would be a good word for it. If I were to be critical though the trails where it's very rough and rocky trails it can be fairly unforgiving although I think this might be a result of the single pivot suspension design rather than the shock itself.

On the fork I was initially unimpressed with the SID ultimate and wanted to find an alternative quickly. However after performing a lower rebuild and getting in 2 rides so far I can comment that the low speed sensitivity was dramatically improved, so It's no longer a priority to find an alternative.

Despite this I have heard great things about the ride qualities of Manitou so I might just let curiosity get the better of me and try them out anyway.
I don't think it's the single Pivot suspension cause with the Mara I have no issues while riding very rocky terrain, it was the same on my Mach 4SL, with the stock DPS it felt harsh but with the Mara it felt more like a trail bike than XC bike.

If I was to run a different fork than my Avalanche 34SC I would definitely look into the Manitou R7 Pro, I was actually going to go that way but couldn't find one in stock so I bought the 34SC instead.

·
Registered
290 Posts
mach 4sl has fox custom tune DWQD
Description: 2020, FLOAT DPS, F-S, K, Remote Up, Evol SV, PTU, Pivot, Mach 4 SL, 190, 40, DCM, DRM, CMF, No Logo
Digressive damping is harsh on repetitive bumps

1221 - 1240 of 1662 Posts