Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1682 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
I got my size XL 2021 Expert mid-July here in Norway. Apparently one of the first. Had planned on the comp, but was told it would not be available until November.

I'm really happy I decided to go for the Expert for once. Have previously owned comp carbons (Epic, Camber, Stumpjumper), and this always led to upgrading wheels, mech, brakes and so on, so that the bike would be just as expensive anyway.

Have done about 400k on it thus far, everything from epic gravel climbs, 6-hour mountain adventures, park, enduro trails, tech singletrack, asphalt, wet, mud, dry...both in full lycra or baggies & armor :)

The bike I've been most happy with over the years was my '16 Camper Comp Carbon, with the usual upgrades. I kept coming back to it, even after the prev gen Epic Evo and Stumpy ST. No more.

This bike ticks all the boxes for me. It's so versatile, it climbs just as well as the prev gen, if not better, it's more comfortable and sure footed, and a lot faster on the downs. Yet it doesn't feel like a big bike. It dances nicely at speed, and is so predictable and easy to pick lines with.

The front is as slack as my enduro bike, and I was surprised to find that this just works everywhere, even on the ups. It feels more balanced than the '19 Stumpy - no need to push the front down for traction. No need to flip the chip for me yet, something I did for everything bar full enduro or park days on the '19 Stumpy.

The new SID fork & shock are IMO a major improvement for RockShox. Plush, yet active in a muted new-car way. Super stiff fork, and they ramp up great. I was surprised how much effort it took to use full travel, yet it wasn't harsh. They also lock out nicely. I did add more rebound damping at the rear than suggested, but that's a personal preference.

The G2 brakes had way too much free movement on the levers IMO, but I cured that by pumping out the pistons using a shim slightly narrower than my rotors. Plenty powerful even with the 180/160 rotors and stock pads.

The Roval wheels seems to be a good evolution - they're stiff, but not so much that they are uncomfortable.

I have (of course) been tooling with the idea of what it would be like to run it with a 130 or even 140 fork, and some tractor tires. I'll try my best to not do that, but it is tempting to try just for kicks. The frame seems solid enough...

I'm about 6.3'', sit at about 81cm, and this bike fits perfectly.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Does anyone know the weight of a EVO comp carbon size medium?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
277 Posts

Thanks in advance.

According to 2 google results I found about a week ago, it’s 11.8 kg or there about. My local shop said right on 12 kg but that included the bottle cage & tool. I didn’t see them weigh it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
According to 2 google results I found about a week ago, it’s 11.8 kg or there about. My local shop said right on 12 kg but that included the bottle cage & tool. I didn’t see them weigh it.
Thank you.

·
Registered
277 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
A question for current owners... how do you find the STA and reach?

The 2 things that make me hesitate to get this bike is the fact that STA is a bit on the slack side (75° stated) and that the reach is a bit short (for M). I'm currently on a 2018 Fuel EX 9.7 and the Evo has (about) the same STA (but looks slacker in photos, probably due to shorter stack height, where effective STA is measured). I really would like a steeper STA as I find my current bike pushes my weight too far over the back tyre on steep technical sections. And ditto on reach - I'm on 443mm reach and going down to 436mm kinda sucks. I'd really like something closer to 450mm. But maybe as a package, the number will be fine - my local shop will let me ride on footpath but not on trails, so will wait and see.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I too am curious about numbers...angles, etc. Coming from a last gen epic evo 2018, I have it fit and riding well. It has a 68.5 HT (shortish wheelbase) and not sure if new evo set at 67deg HT will be a let down from quick handling and climbing in the North East trails to front tire wash out in corners....Experience new Evo Welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
330 Posts
I too am curious about numbers...angles, etc. Coming from a last gen epic evo 2018, I have it fit and riding well. It has a 68.5 HT (shortish wheelbase) and not sure if new evo set at 67deg HT will be a let down from quick handling and climbing in the North East trails to front tire wash out in corners....Experience new Evo Welcome. Thanks
I've run L '16 and XL '18 (self evo'd) Epics, and now on XL Evo 2021.

- The '16 was great, but too "racey", and even if I did a few ultra trail races on it just fine, it always was a bit too nervous when I got tired.
- The '18...was also fine, but I did have issues with wash-out and front wandering on steep climbs. Way too many OTBs :)
Converted it to 120 front, dropper, shorter stem, but still some of those issues. Never got 100% comfortable with it, even it was super fast. Then there was the price & downtime because of Brain servicing.

The 2021 Evo is a totally different bike. It simply knocks everything I've owned (Epics, Stumpjumpers, Cambers, hardtails) out of the ballpark. There's no need to worry about washouts or wandering front - I run mine stock at 66.5 and with the 50mm stem, seat centered on the post. I've cleared long, steep and tech climbs that I would have looped on any previous bike. I'm faster on gravel/dirt climbs than with my '20 Diverge, and I'm not far off my enduro PRs set with a '19 Stumpjumper.

It's quick, but it doesn't feel as nervous and scary as a steep hard tail or gravel bike - but Strava says it's faster (and that's definitely not my fitness improving).

·
Registered
177 Posts

Thanks in advance.

12.2kg with DMR flat pedals, tubeless, 1 bottle cage with tool.

Changed to XTR trail pedals, added 1 more bottle cage, not sure what's the weight now.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
For those that own this bike, regarding the bottle cage for the seat tube under the shock, could i fit a 21oz bottle with or without a side load cage? Thank you!! Mine comes in December (frame only).

·
Registered
177 Posts
For those that own this bike, regarding the bottle cage for the seat tube under the shock, could i fit a 21oz bottle with or without a side load cage? Thank you!! Mine comes in December (frame only).
This 26 oz bottle fits in the side mount, vertical bottle cage, but slightly touching the rear shock body. I think only a side mount would work. I fitted my smaller bottle there.

For the downtube mounted cage, this bottle size is ok, lots of clearance.

Frame size is medium.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
This is the Specialized 26oz bottle in a size Large EVO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Epic Evo Expert

This is the Specialized 26oz bottle in a size Large EVO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't care much about water bottles, but would like to know when you ordered this bike - mine's missing in action and was ordered July 2 this year.

·
Registered
Alive So Go For A Ride
725 Posts
I don't care much about water bottles, but would like to know when you ordered this bike - mine's missing in action and was ordered July 2 this year.
Hi there is a world shortage on bikes and the EVO is a late delivery in most of the world.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 1682 Posts