Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

· Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've asked this halfway a few times, but I'd really like to know if anybody have done a back-to-back test of these. Are they too close to own both?

Currently ordered a new Stumpy Evo which is due January-ish, but I keep second guessing myself if this is the right choice.

Looking to replace my '17 Stumpy. It still works nicely, even though it now feels short in the cockpit compared to my Epic Evo It has served me really well, and my oldest kid wants to take it over :)

If the new Stumpy is just a slightly more capable Epic Evo, there really isn't much point going that way.

Have anybody here ridden both to offer a good opinion? The review at PB makes me want a regular Stumpy..too :)

· Pizzaiolo Americano
274 Posts
I have ridden both quite a bit. Different tools for different jobs...For me, the Evo is faster uphill and on the flats. The Stumpy is more plush and faster downhill. This is under the same rider with the same skills. I can't comment on any of the forum superstars riding them though...As far as the Stumpy Evo, it is a tank. If your local trails are pedally at all, you may not enjoy it much. That bike is amazing pointed downhill. Everywhere else, no so much...

· Registered
7,179 Posts
That's not an accurate description of the SJ Evo. It's a phenomenal bike to pedal. It pedals better than my weight weenie Spur actually. It's not as fast of course because it runs heavier parts and slower rolling tires, but the frame itself pedals insanely well.

· Pizzaiolo Americano
274 Posts
That's not an accurate description of the SJ Evo. It's a phenomenal bike to pedal. It pedals better than my weight weenie Spur actually. It's not as fast of course because it runs heavier parts and slower rolling tires, but the frame itself pedals insanely well.
It's accurate in my experience. YMMMV...Admittedly, I have never ridden it with fast rolling tires and light parts but, I don't think that is what it is for.

· Registered
1,362 Posts
thats not really a great comparison, ive ridden several bikes that pedaled better than the spur lol. stumpy evo does not pedal well in my experience.

Regular stumpy is a very good bike. id take one of those as my "one bike" over the SJ evo any day of the week. Havent tried an epic evo but heard theyre pretty good too, but its hard to beat the pedaling prowess + dialed geometry of the stumpjumper.

· Registered
141 Posts
I have the Epic Evo. All the bike mechs told me it is basically in the middle between the Epic and Stumpy so that is why I got it. Rode my sons Stumpy for some down hill rides and to be honest the Evo would have done it just fine and maybe better. Only issue is the lack of frame protection that a stumpy has so frame could be damaged easier. My friend has a regular Epic and a Stumpy EVO and leaves the Stumpy home on easier trails and if no jumping is involved as it is so much easier to pedal and move with speed.

· Banned
2,444 Posts
I own both bikes right now. And I bought the Stumpy evo before the regular. The epic evo is an XC bike. The regular stumpjumper is a trail bike. Its not even nuanced.

If you bought the epic evo and made it beefier. You should have just got the stumpjumper. If you got the epic evo and kept it as light as possible and setup for speed, then you could have both. I'm selling my epic evo because its not ANY where near an actual trail bike, and its a slow XC bike. So its a niche bike for modern flow trails. Its not made for tech trails or jumping. Its flimsy. One of the flimsiest xc bikes ive had, including an Sworks Epic not evo. The stumpjumper is one of the most solid bikes iver ever ridden. And the suspension has the rubber band feeling on the flex stays, the epic evo doesn't feel as responsive. Its a good endurance race bike or the bike most everyone should have if they have 1 bike. If you want to have two different weapons the stumpy is better all around than the epic evo. You can go much harder faster farther whatever you want to do. The epic evo gets overwhelmed.

· Banned
2,444 Posts
I have the Epic Evo. All the bike mechs told me it is basically in the middle between the Epic and Stumpy so that is why I got it. Rode my sons Stumpy for some down hill rides and to be honest the Evo would have done it just fine and maybe better. Only issue is the lack of frame protection that a stumpy has so frame could be damaged easier. My friend has a regular Epic and a Stumpy EVO and leaves the Stumpy home on easier trails and if no jumping is involved as it is so much easier to pedal and move with speed.
Why are you lying?

· Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's accurate in my experience. YMMMV...Admittedly, I have never ridden it with fast rolling tires and light parts but, I don't think that is what it is for.
That's what's kinda bothering me, I guess. It would be interesting if somebody had tried to XC-ize a StEvo to see if that helps, along with putting everything in "steep" mode. Could work locally.

· Banned
2,444 Posts
thats not really a great comparison, ive ridden several bikes that pedaled better than the spur lol. stumpy evo does not pedal well in my experience.

Regular stumpy is a very good bike. id take one of those as my "one bike" over the SJ evo any day of the week. Havent tried an epic evo but heard theyre pretty good too, but its hard to beat the pedaling prowess + dialed geometry of the stumpjumper.
I bought the stumpy evo, decided it was too much as a Daily driver, got the regular, wanted to see if the epic evo was actually "almost" as capable. Its not even close. Saying its faster uphill is subjective. Faster uphill on a smooth trail? Maybe. Faster uphill on a trail with roots or rocks or ledges? You'll be walking the epic in places the stumpy keeps riding. So is it "better uphill" if you are walking, but get to the top of the hill faster? I like to ride my bike.

· Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I own both bikes right now. And I bought the Stumpy evo before the regular. The epic evo is an XC bike. The regular stumpjumper is a trail bike. Its not even nuanced.

If you bought the epic evo and made it beefier. You should have just got the stumpjumper. If you got the epic evo and kept it as light as possible and setup for speed, then you could have both. I'm selling my epic evo because its not ANY where near an actual trail bike, and its a slow XC bike. So its a niche bike for modern flow trails. Its not made for tech trails or jumping. Its flimsy. One of the flimsiest xc bikes ive had, including an Sworks Epic not evo. The stumpjumper is one of the most solid bikes iver ever ridden. And the suspension has the rubber band feeling on the flex stays, the epic evo doesn't feel as responsive. Its a good endurance race bike or the bike most everyone should have if they have 1 bike. If you want to have two different weapons the stumpy is better all around than the epic evo. You can go much harder faster farther whatever you want to do. The epic evo gets overwhelmed.
I haven't ridden the '21 Stumpies in either config, but I'm extremely happy with my Epic Evo. I run it light & fast, and for endurance trail races (type anything between 3-10hrs). Only mods are wider bars, a 160 dropper because the XFusion is sticky, and I often run Roval Fatties SL's with 2.3 Grid Purgatory/Ground Control because of all the rocks and roots here.

There's no such thing as modern flow trails where I ride, just gnarly hiking paths. And the Epic E has PR'ed most of the trails that I've ridden hundreds of times. I prefer the sportscar over the Jeep.

I agree that if I were to have only one full-sus bike (gum forbid!), it would be the regular '21 Stumpy. My question still is if there's enough of a difference between the Epic E and the standard Stumpy to justify both, because I'm worried the Stumpy E would be too much for my type of fun, and hence wouldn't be used. I realize that this is very subjective, so still looking for comparisons.

· Banned
2,444 Posts
I haven't ridden the '21 Stumpies in either config, but I'm extremely happy with my Epic Evo. I run it light & fast, and for endurance trail races (type anything between 3-10hrs). Only mods are wider bars, a 160 dropper because the XFusion is sticky, and I often run Roval Fatties SL's with 2.3 Grid Purgatory/Ground Control because of all the rocks and roots here.

There's no such thing as modern flow trails where I ride, just gnarly hiking paths. And the Epic E has PR'ed most of the trails that I've ridden hundreds of times. I prefer the sportscar over the Jeep.

I agree that if I were to have only one full-sus bike (gum forbid!), it would be the regular '21 Stumpy. My question still is if there's enough of a difference between the Epic E and the standard Stumpy to justify both, because I'm worried the Stumpy E would be too much for my type of fun, and hence wouldn't be used. I realize that this is very subjective, so still looking for comparisons.
The answer in your specific case is yes, there would be enough of a difference. My EE was setup as light as the sworks maybe lighter. My stumpy is setup beefier. Big difference. And you pick the one for the appropriate ride. I have ridden the SJ 50 miles of pure singletrack non stop and its extremely comfortable to ride all day, even if that is all day on those same gnarly hiking paths. Thats basically what I ride also. Especially in Arizona. The SJ is about slow speed technical climbing, but it will carry speed once it gets rolling, you are definitely not dragging dead weight uphill. You would be able to ride the same trails just a different ride experience. I think the stumpy geo is better thought out. It was from the ground up vs combine a bike already made. The seated climbing position on the stumpy is more powerful than the EE to me.

Reactions: knutspeed

· Registered
30 Posts
I had an Epic Evo for a year and just sold it. The acceleration and climbing are impressive, the best of any bikes I've owned. But it's also a bit too firm on rougher trails. The SID fork just wasn't smooth enough for some of the rooted trails where I ride. I've only done a brief parking lot test ride of the new Stumpjumper and it felt like a more burly trail bike. I'm thinking about getting one this fall or next spring.

Previously I owned a last gen Stumpy ST and it wasn't exceptional at climbing or super smooth on rough trail. It was just mediocre at everything.

I also have an Intense Sniper T and previous gen Primer. The Sniper T is the best all around trail bike I've owned and nearly matches the Epic Evo in climbing speed. I also prefer the feel of the rear suspension on the Intense bikes vs. Specialized. Still thinking about whether I want to trade the Primer for the new Stumpy. Still love the Primer, but the geometry is dated.

· Registered
489 Posts
I had an Epic Evo for a year and just sold it. The acceleration and climbing are impressive, the best of any bikes I've owned. But it's also a bit too firm on rougher trails. The SID fork just wasn't smooth enough for some of the rooted trails where I ride. I've only done a brief parking lot test ride of the new Stumpjumper and it felt like a more burly trail bike. I'm thinking about getting one this fall or next spring.

Previously I owned a last gen Stumpy ST and it wasn't exceptional at climbing or super smooth on rough trail. It was just mediocre at everything.

I also have an Intense Sniper T and previous gen Primer. The Sniper T is the best all around trail bike I've owned and nearly matches the Epic Evo in climbing speed. I also prefer the feel of the rear suspension on the Intense bikes vs. Specialized. Still thinking about whether I want to trade the Primer for the new Stumpy. Still love the Primer, but the geometry is dated.
I started laughing when I saw your post skepticman because In the family we have Epic Evo, Sniper XC, Sniper T, and SJ, the Evo and SJ are 2021. The bike we all fight for? The Sniper T. They all are good bikes!

· Registered
141 Posts
Why are you lying?
How is a statement/opinion lying? 🤔 Personally on our trails most people are over biking them. I bet this is true elsewhere. Its rather humbling to ride and have people on single speed hardtails and just recently a cat on a gravel bike and lycra dusting everyone with their fs bikes. Not knocking a stumpy at all as they are great bikes but it really depends on type of trails ridden for which one is better. If all we had was downhill I would be on a stumpy 1st and an epic evo as a 2nd bike if I had one. But we are reverse of that so its epic evo here and bring my sons stumpy for mainly downhill stuff. I would get the bike that works best for my local stuff by all means.

· Registered
50 Posts
I am currently on a stumpy. I like it a lot but after three months of riding it I am second guessing my decision to go stump over epic evo. The reason why is not because one is better faster stronger or whatever. It’s because for My trails and My riding I believe the epic evo would be better suited. I ride chunk, flow drops, jumps etc. but I also ride single track and a good amount of climbing. I am running my stumpy in high mode and am currently looking to put more XC ish tires on it for overall speed. So I am trying to “Epic Evo” my stumpjumper if that makes sense.

· Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The SJ is about slow speed technical climbing, but it will carry speed once it gets rolling, you are definitely not dragging dead weight uphill. You would be able to ride the same trails just a different ride experience. I think the stumpy geo is better thought out. It was from the ground up vs combine a bike already made.
This is quite similar to why I've kept my '17 Stumpy over the '19. It's quick enough to do "XC" type rides, and good on the downs and tech stuff, and certainly comfy. I also feel I can abuse it more than the EE, for several reasons. It's more physical to maintain speed on flowy stuff, and it doesn't climb anything like the EE.
I've done a few enduro races on it, just running proper chunky tires. Also some trail races. And I really like it.
But if feels short now (I'm on XLs), and after running parks & races on the '19 (and on the EE) it's def unstable when I get up to speed, and my butt is out there, feels like behind the rear wheel, as soon as I stand up. IMO all these issues have been looked at for the '21 with the new geo.

So there definitely is a step between my EE and my '17 Stumpy which has just gotten slightly smaller now. Maybe the '21 Stumpy will suit me better than the Stumpy Evo.

· Registered
590 Posts
Can you elaborate on how the Epic Evo feels compared to the MK1 Intense Primer? I am on the MK1 Primer but very much considering the Epic Evo since a lot of my trails are flow trails with lots of small ups and downs.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts