Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Some Dude
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So over 9 years ago I built my 2012 Kona Unit and it's been a great bike for me. I've taken it on all types of terrain, upgraded various parts on it and crashed a few times. However, more and more I found myself riding trails not really suited for an XC frame. I made it work but decided I should get a proper trail bike.

Last year around August I began my search. I knew I wanted another 29” steel singlespeed and my first thought was to stick with Kona, so I was looking at the Honzo ST. I also liked the Honzo ESD and even put a deposit down on an RSD Middlechild. At one point I had a lapse in judgment and found myself looking at a Specialized Stumpjumper, I apologize for that.

I soon came across the Canfield Nimble 9 and had made my decision. I preordered an XL frame in chrome. That was back in October of last year. The long wait gave me plenty of time to buy parts and build my wheels. I even exchanged the frame from chrome to black.

2021 Canfield Nimble 9 Build
Organism Font Line Auto part Bicycle part

All the parts for the build.

Fresh Out of the Box
Triangle Bumper Bicycle part Musical instrument accessory Automotive exterior

Canfield really packed the box well. The frame is an XL Static Black.

Applying Frame Saver
Bicycle Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle fork Bicycle part

Even though the frame has the ED black coating I also sprayed it with Problem Solvers Frame Spray.

Headset Cups Installed
Tool Nickel Bicycle part Metal Cylinder

I wanted to install the headset myself this time. I looked around for a decent tool that wasn't ridiculously expensive. I settled on this Bike Hand press for only $69. The bottom most position was wide enough for the bottom cup of the Cane Creek 110 ZS44/ZS56. Unfortunately the top cup did not fit very well but I got it to work by flipping the drift upside down. Never used a press like this and it was confusing at first. But I got the cups in no problem (y)

Wheel Building
Wheel Bicycle tire Tire Automotive tire Bicycle wheel rim

I used linseed oil to lube everything and built with a DT Swiss spoke wrench that looks just like this one. Other tools I used were the Feedback Pro Truing Stand 2.0,
this spoke tension meter tool, and the Park Tool Wag-4 Professional Wheel Alignment Gauge. Reading the tensions for the spokes resulted in this build taking longer than expected, as I kept trying to get them all as close as possible to each other. I realized this was not going to work and just focused on each side having the same tensions.

Rim Tape Installed, Tubeless Setup Complete
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

I messed up my first attempt at applying the rim tape, it was a pathetic. Then I got it right on the second try. The Maxxis tires were surprisingly easy to mount, although the first wheel gave us some trouble inflating. Second one was easier after we sprayed the bead with soapy water like in Stan's install video.

Completed Wheels
Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle hub

Spoke tensions dropped after mounting the tires but I was expecting this. After the first test ride I will tighten them back up.

Crown Race Install
Automotive tire Hat Cutlery Metal Circle

I bought the special Cane Creek crown race install tool for the 1.5" steerer on my fork. Along with a piece of PVC pipe having an interior diameter of 1.5", the crown race was easy to tap on.

So we come to today. Yesterday after I installed the crown race the plan was to install everything else so I can get on the bike and get a feel for where I want to cut the steerer. That brings us to:

Dropout and Hangers
Automotive tire Bicycle part Bicycle tire Auto part Font

The pic on the left is the hangers and hardware kit that came with the N9. I'm going to run this bike singlespeed so it would have been nice to get a SS specific drive side hanger with the kit but no big deal, it's just an aesthetic thing really. However, I'm wondering about the hanger fixing bolts and washers, which are NORD-LOCK. In previous years it looks like Canfield has used the raised cup-like washers (top right pic, my Unit also has these) and since 2014? or so they have gone with the NORD-LOCKs like in the bottom right pic. I know they have a special locking property to them but I'm wondering if one is better than the other or is the difference none/negligible.

Comparison of Bolts and Washers
Photograph White Product Font Household hardware

Bolt and washer from the N9 on the left. My old and rusty bolt and washer from the Unit on the right.

I'm thinking about getting some titanium bolts from Paragon:
Household hardware Fastener Auto part Font Engineering

Stay tuned...

Attachments

·
Rippin da fAt
11,957 Posts
Looks tasty! Congrats on the N9!

Wheels. Prestress the spokes and tension/true and the wheels will be reliable for years to come.
The washers are non issue. Use the ones you like and ride your bike!

·
Canfield Bikes
1,147 Posts
For reference:

We use the Nord-lock washers (taken apart, one per bolt) because they have the serrations. They more aggressively interface with the frame to eliminate the dropouts slipping. The other ones you show are just smooth on the back side.

We use the button head bolts to help with heal clearance, the rounded head is less likely to snag your shoe and anything else you end up riding thru (bushes, rocks, etc).

·
Some Dude
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For reference:

We use the Nord-lock washers (taken apart, one per bolt) because they have the serrations. They more aggressively interface with the frame to eliminate the dropouts slipping. The other ones you show are just smooth on the back side.

We use the button head bolts to help with heal clearance, the rounded head is less likely to snag your shoe and anything else you end up riding thru (bushes, rocks, etc).
Nice! I figured that was the case (y)

·
Rippin da fAt
11,957 Posts
Thanks for input!
When you prestress the spokes and bed them in, the torque and true will hold much longer than without doing so.
Bedding the spokes sets the bend at the eye of the spokes so that doesn't occur during use and when you torque the spokes, they are already set where and how they will live. Not doing that, the spokes will slowly take on the bend they will keep for life which allows them to become loose and uneven in tension. Even and proper tension is what gives the wheel its strength and durability.

·
Some Dude
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you prestress the spokes and bed them in, the torque and true will hold much longer than without doing so.
Bedding the spokes sets the bend at the eye of the spokes so that doesn't occur during use and when you torque the spokes, they are already set where and how they will live. Not doing that, the spokes will slowly take on the bend they will keep for life which allows them to become loose and uneven in tension. Even and proper tension is what gives the wheel its strength and durability.
Oh yeah, I made sure to prestress :D

·
Some Dude
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The PMW ti bolts for your sliders are a great investment. I have them on my chumbas and vassago.

Nice build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! I decided to go with other hardware actually. I did more building last weekend. Decided on another stem and hopefully getting that by tomorrow to complete the build.

·
Some Dude
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Wut? No pix??
OK OK here you go! 😎

Sliders and Hardware
Bicycle Bicycle frame Sports equipment Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle tire

This is the hardware I installed. Just my preference. It should still hold good right? I really like the retaining bold and nut though! My friend brought his Titanium bolts over but they didn't fit into the cupped washers.

Bottom Bracket
Camera lens Camera accessory Cameras & optics Mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera Lens

Originally I was going to use a Hope 30mm but decided to just go with this guy.

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Crankset Automotive tire Bicycle

Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle fork Automotive tire

BB Tools
Tableware Kitchen utensil Cutlery Material property Font

I bought both of these BB tools. The Bike Hand is much better: fitting on the notches, made of steel, longer, and the rubberized grip. Both are on Amazon for under $15: ISOAR and Bike Hand

Crankset Tool Bicycle part Gear Bicycle drivetrain part

Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame Tire

Those were harder to get in than I expected.

Cranks
Rectangle Grey Gadget Font Laptop accessory

Automotive exterior Shade Wood Font Rectangle

Font Material property Tool Handwriting Office supplies

Font Bumper Sports equipment Auto part Fashion accessory

175mm crank length, 136mm spindle width

Crankset Bicycle part Automotive tire Rim Bicycle tire

I made sure to grease the lockring good this time. On my Unit I never greased that and it was the source of a creak I had a hard time finding. 32T RF Chainring.

Box of Goodies 🎃
Textile Luggage and bags Material property Bag Electric blue

1 - 20 of 37 Posts