Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

· Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
<edit add pics of v1>
Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Crankset

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

So . . . my frame's still on a boat somewhere (date pushed to November today . . .), but I've been gathering parts and have a general direction (if you could call it that) for the build.

Nimble 9 in Static

I've been away from the sport for a while, and just this summer built up a few old FSRs and have the whole family on the trails at this point. I love the building and tweaking part of the process, so wanted to get a DJ frame and learn some modern skills. Last I was riding (late 90s) it was more 'use backpacking trails and fire roads', and jumps, drops, etc were few and far between. There were down trees to hop, and hikers to avoid, but the modern, park based gravity sport wasn't a thing. So I have some stuff to learn.

I couldn't find a DJ that really grabbed my interest, but you know what did - the new Yelli Screamy. That sent me down an AL hardtail black hole largely populated by Ragley models, but I kept coming back to the Yelli. Then I found out that there was a steel hardtail with the same geo as the Yelli, but with sliding dropouts. And it was only one link over on the Canfield site.

I believe strongly in trying to support US companies (even if they are importing). I wanted to try single speed, and the geo on a Medium was perfect (on paper so far) for my human body. Order placed!

Why is this the 'Bagel' Build:
Nimble 9 steel frame
27.5+ rear wheel
29er+ front wheel
single speed
modern geo*
150mm travel
short cranks (maybe)

See what I did there. It's like an everthing bagel, but in bike form. It is every thing I haven't gotten to try since 26" full suspension horst link was the best the market could do. Some of it will stick. Most of it won't, but I'm looking forward to the process and the fun!

*but not too modern

· Nurse Ben
11,956 Posts
Interesting. Maybe I should put my 160mm cranks on from the fs . . .

I’ve got some plus tires on order, but having trouble concepting the weight. 29x3 minions are 1262g! 27.5x2.8 Trail Kings are 1055g. That’s 2317g in tires. 5 lbs!
Years ago I rode plus and fat muni, so when I went back to biking I carried that "weight" forward, but in the past couple years I've been downsizing to 2.5-2.6 tires on 27.5 and 29er.

The other day I trashed a rear wheel/tire on my 27.5 and all I had were some plus wheels and 2.8" tires. I first rode some tires that were closer to 3" and what a dog to pedal, heavy and slow, so then I mounted some DHF 2.8" and this was better, but nowhere near as agile as the DHF 2.5: they replaced.

So I got a replacement rim on the way and I bought another DHF 2.5 :)

· Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The 29x3 dhr2 came in today. Still zip tied, in its little Maxxis tennis shoe bag, it’s 3.1 lb on my not very accurate luggage scale.
Looks impressive though. Wish my rims would ship so I can build up the wheels.

Edit <weighs 2.9lb in the zip tie, or 1316g. Sending it back. Ordered the 120tpi version instead. Expect that to come in around 1150g>

· Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I now have all bits in hand except the wheels (shipped today) and the frame (no updates . . . .)

Have been learning a lot about plus size tires and am excited to try this out.

I did have a 'fat' electric bike with Maxxis hookworms on it for a few years, so I understand a little of what I"m in for, but that rig was paved surfaces only.

· Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
2019 Lyrik rct3 170mm was Just under 2000g. It’s used and has a bit more wear than I’d hoped for. Got the 150mm air spring from a member here, and have ordered the 200 hour service kit, bushing tool, and associated oils.
refurbing will give mesomething to do while i wait on the frame.
wheels also due in tomorrow, and the garage is in need of a reorganization to fit in N +1

· Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't find that email in my spam folder . . . thanks for the update @BadgerOne. when did you get the update? I could have put my order in after it came out, i didn't order until the 3rd week of October, when I ordered the delivery message was still expected late October, but I didn't have any illusions it would ship that week or anything.

· Registered
1,816 Posts
Don't find that email in my spam folder . . . thanks for the update @BadgerOne. when did you get the update? I could have put my order in after it came out, i didn't order until the 3rd week of October, when I ordered the delivery message was still expected late October, but I didn't have any illusions it would ship that week or anything.
Got it Oct 26, so 13 days ago. They estimated two weeks to get to them, then they have to ship them back out to us. I'm assuming around the end of the month.

· Registered
575 Posts
Got it Oct 26, so 13 days ago. They estimated two weeks to get to them, then they have to ship them back out to us. I'm assuming around the end of the month.
From a canfieldbikes.com chat session on Saturday...
  • Nimble 9 shipping says early November, any idea when a frame would ship if I place an order soon?
  • In the next two weeks or less
  • awesome, thx
  • Frames were picked up yesterday from the port by our owner. Will start shipping pre orders Monday or Tuesday

· Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
From a canfieldbikes.com chat session on Saturday...
  • Nimble 9 shipping says early November, any idea when a frame would ship if I place an order soon?
  • In the next two weeks or less
  • awesome, thx
  • Frames were picked up yesterday from the port by our owner. Will start shipping pre orders Monday or Tuesday
So much awesome. Thanks for the update @dumbaSS

1 - 20 of 140 Posts