Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Dear Altitude owners,

I've had my 2021 Altitude C70 29 for about two months now, what a frustrating experience it has been so far.
The bike itself is amazing to ride when everything is working well, but for a bike that cost me half a fortune the list of problems I've encountered has been really disappointing.
Just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences?

- My only 'current' issue is a loud creaking in the frame when the shock extends to the very top of it's travel. I've pulled the bike apart, cleaned/re-greased all the pivots and bolts, and correctly torqued everything, so I think it's the something in the shock.
I'm not sure if it's always done this as I've had many other noises that have distracted me which I've only recently fixed. I'm taking it back to the bike shop to get this looked at next week.

- Front brake caliper was installed with the spacers on the wrong side, so only 50% of the pad was contacting the rotor. Took me a few rides to work out why my braking power was so poor, then fixed it. I think this was just someone in the bike shop having a brain fart when putting the bike together, they appologised when I raised it with them.

- Left hand side rear brake pad constantly rubs on the rear rotor, and the caliper cannot move any further to the left hand side of the bike. That means I can't move the caliper any further over to stop the small rub, and there is no way I can centre the pistons in the caliper without the rear brake draging heavily.

- Fork felt super harsh and had a lot of stiction from day 1. After spending hours and hours bracketing my setup and trying basically every variation on every adjustment, I decided to give the lowers and air spring a service. The seals were bone dry and the air spring was caked with grease on the negative side. The fork feels much better now, although still a little harsh (tight seals maybe?)

- Headset creaking. Cleaned and re greased everything (twice so far).

- Noise during suspension movement coming from where the rear brake hose feeds into the bottom of the front triangle. Gave it a clean and a wiggle, seems to be sorted now.

So yeah, not a great experience. I could have taken it back to the shop for each issue I guess, but it's such a hassle and I want to ride the thing.
I don't live anywhere particularly dusty and I'm pretty careful with cleaning, just mild soap and a low pressure hose - so I don't think I'm the problem
Hopefully once the issue with the shock is sorted I can enjoy the bike instead of getting frustrated every ride with all kinds of creaking noises.
This is why I laughed when I saw they are charging $3800 for a frame only. Ive had Rocky Mountains and while they are fun to ride, they are super noisey and mine always felt like stuff was rattling, coming loose, and creaking.

I have no problem paying normal pricing for Rocky bikes as they do ride great, but when the super dialed and silent S Works Stumpy EVO frame I bought instead saved me $800 over a RM Altitude frame theres something wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
Agreed - for a brand that likes to price and present themselves as premium their QC sometimes leaves something to be desired

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Hey, does anyone know which derailluer hanger works for the ‘21 Altitude?
the site is unclear (or I just missed it)
thanks!

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
2,578 Posts
Hey, does anyone know which derailluer hanger works for the ‘21 Altitude?
the site is unclear (or I just missed it)
thanks!
Looks like its the SRAM UDH. It uses another part to stop the rotation so it works with the 2 position axle design.
Check the attachment.

Nice build you have! been able to get some rides in? What inner width wheels you go with?

I just got hold of a C70 and trying to decide on the wheels. Tempted to go 35mm inner.

Attachments

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
My rims are 34 inner, I believe.
I read somewhere that the Sram UdH only works in the long position, can anyone clarify?
Do have a few rides on it, it is a really, really sweet ride so far. Bringing it to Perú next month for a bunch of reaaally long downhills in the high country...,

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
2,578 Posts
My rims are 34 inner, I believe.
I read somewhere that the Sram UdH only works in the long position, can anyone clarify?
Do have a few rides on it, it is a really, really sweet ride so far. Bringing it to Perú next month for a bunch of reaaally long downhills in the high country...,

That's what it says in the attachment I provided from the manual...

1. The UDH hanger is only compatible with the frame in the long axle position. Since the UDH hanger is meant to rotate as part of Sram’s design to protect the rear derailleur, the long position is the only suitable position that allows the derailleur to rotate fully without contacting the frame.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Looking for some info on sizing for the short-legged gentlemans. I'm 5'4"-ish with freakishly long arms and short legs. My entire riding career I've been between either a small or medium. I'm currently on a medium RipmoV1, which fits me spot on. My big bike was a small NomadV4. Going back and forth between the two became awkward and I seem to prefer riding mediums now. I'm looking at the M Altitude 29'r. I've never owned a RM bike. Do they tend to ride smaller, larger, in the middle?

So, I'm keeping the Ripmo as the trail bike and looking to replace the Nomad with something that fits better and is more of a pedal friendly big bike. I had a Nukeproof Mega 290 on order, but that fell through. Would the Altitude be too close to a Ripmo? I was thinking I'd build it up a little burlier with a 38 and beefier wheels. It'd be primarily used for big climb big decent, shuttle, some park thrown in with occasional techy trail riding.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Formerly they fit on the small side but that of course is changing, but relative to some of the front runners then RM isn't crazy long/big. Their standover/seat tube length is drastically shorter per size than their previous generation of models so you'd probably be at home on a medium.

·
Registered
461 Posts
So, I'm keeping the Ripmo as the trail bike and looking to replace the Nomad with something that fits better and is more of a pedal friendly big bike. I had a Nukeproof Mega 290 on order, but that fell through. Would the Altitude be too close to a Ripmo? I was thinking I'd build it up a little burlier with a 38 and beefier wheels. It'd be primarily used for big climb big decent, shuttle, some park thrown in with occasional techy trail riding.
If you're keeping the Ripmo, and looking to add second 29er bike as you big mountain/park bike, instead of the Altitude you should go with the Slayer or Propain Spindrift.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
If you're keeping the Ripmo, and looking to add second 29er bike as you big mountain/park bike, instead of the Altitude you should go with the Slayer or Propain Spindrift.
That is under consideration. If I got more park days in it would be higher up on the list. This bike is replacing a Nomad V4, which used to be my only bike, but more recently I only used it on park days and when the Ripmo was not feeling so good. I'm looking for a bike that is a little closer to the Ripmo so it doesn't sit around as much.

·
Registered
461 Posts
That is under consideration. If I got more park days in it would be higher up on the list. This bike is replacing a Nomad V4, which used to be my only bike, but more recently I only used it on park days and when the Ripmo was not feeling so good. I'm looking for a bike that is a little closer to the Ripmo so it doesn't sit around as much.
Fully understand you need good reason to justify big mountian/park bike.
As for the Altitude, it sits nicely between the two bikes you having, and can replace both of them... but since you're planing to keep the Ripmo, i would go with something bigger as a second bike that replacing your Nomad, but thats me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looking for some info on sizing for the short-legged gentlemans. I'm 5'4"-ish with freakishly long arms and short legs. My entire riding career I've been between either a small or medium. I'm currently on a medium RipmoV1, which fits me spot on. My big bike was a small NomadV4. Going back and forth between the two became awkward and I seem to prefer riding mediums now. I'm looking at the M Altitude 29'r. I've never owned a RM bike. Do they tend to ride smaller, larger, in the middle?

I'm just under 5'6" and I'm on the medium Altitude 29er. It's definitely big, but I feel comfortable on it.
I was on a medium YT Capra 29 before that which felt perfect. The Altitude's top tube number looks big on paper compared to other bikes I've had, but it doesn't feel like it. Could be how they measure it?

I've got the 150mm turbine dropper post nearly slammed into the frame, if my legs were any shorter I'd need a shorter dropper post.

I've always wanted to eventually get a short travel bike to compliment my previous enduro bikes, but since getting the Altitude I feel like I don't need to bother. It feels great on green/blue grade tracks and big days of riding.
The Altitude doesn't feel like the trail smashing monster I was expecting. If I rode park more I'd probably have regretted going for it over the Slayer. I'm going to try a coil in the near future, I think that will unlock a lot more potential.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I'm just under 5'6" and I'm on the medium Altitude 29er. It's definitely big, but I feel comfortable on it.
I was on a medium YT Capra 29 before that which felt perfect. The Altitude's top tube number looks big on paper compared to other bikes I've had, but it doesn't feel like it. Could be how they measure it?

I've got the 150mm turbine dropper post nearly slammed into the frame, if my legs were any shorter I'd need a shorter dropper post.

I've always wanted to eventually get a short travel bike to compliment my previous enduro bikes, but since getting the Altitude I feel like I don't need to bother. It feels great on green/blue grade tracks and big days of riding.
The Altitude doesn't feel like the trail smashing monster I was expecting. If I rode park more I'd probably have regretted going for it over the Slayer. I'm going to try a coil in the near future, I think that will unlock a lot more potential.
Thanks for info on the sizing. I'm able to run a 150 on my medium Ripmo and the sizing looks similar. Worse case I can space it down to 140 or something. I see that it uses a 40mm stem. Any thoughts on running a shorter stem if I had to? I have a 35mm that I could try.

Yeah, logically it makes sense to get the even bigger bike to have some more separation, but who needs logic :) I guess what set this is off is a did a few park days last year and swapped the Ripmo in with DH tires and I really liked it. I was a bit braver on the Nomad, but I felt more at home on the Ripmo. I liked how more poppy and agile the Ripmo was. I could just get another wheelset for the Ripmo and be done with it, but I don't want to blow it up. I also did run out of travel a bunch of times. 145mm of linear travel was definitely limiting, especially when going to flat. So I'm not really looking for a trail smasher. More of a trail crusher, if that makes any sense. A coil and a 38 on this bike could be pretty fun. hmmmmm?

As far as it replacing the Ripmo my local trails have no elevation. It's all super punchy technical riding. Having a squishier bike on these trails is certainly fun, but wears you out. Especially, when your chasing down kids 10-20 years younger than you. Swapping the Ripmo for a Ripley has crossed my mind.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
That's what it says in the attachment I provided from the manual...

1. The UDH hanger is only compatible with the frame in the long axle position. Since the UDH hanger is meant to rotate as part of Sram’s design to protect the rear derailleur, the long position is the only suitable position that allows the derailleur to rotate fully without contacting the frame.
I just tried installing one of those UDH's on my Altitude and it didn't work. The axle that comes with the bike has course threads and the UDH requires fine threads. The manual mentions the need for a certain SRAM maxle, but doesn't mention that the axle that comes with the bike isn't what is needed. So much for "Universal". Would it kill SRAM to include both fine and course options in their UDH kit?

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
So, I just did a trip to Perú, and rode the snot out of this bike. (60k descending, all gnar, ~28k of climbing). Got to know the bike fairly well. But the biggest revelation was trying it Mullet for the last day of DH.
Really amazing. Tried it in neutral (pos. 5), and in the long wheelbase option. Easier to turn in super tight switchbacks, easier to wheelie, and best, zero ass-buzz, which I was getting all the time for the rest of the ride. (Crazy steep trails). If you have?any questions, please ask.
Ridiculously fun bike.

Reactions: Ben39

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
So, I just did a trip to Perú, and rode the snot out of this bike. (60k descending, all gnar, ~28k of climbing). Got to know the bike fairly well. But the biggest revelation was trying it Mullet for the last day of DH.
Really amazing. Tried it in neutral (pos. 5), and in the long wheelbase option. Easier to turn in super tight switchbacks, easier to wheelie, and best, zero ass-buzz, which I was getting all the time for the rest of the ride. (Crazy steep trails). If you have?any questions, please ask.
Ridiculously fun bike.
As a shorter ride and also having a brand new 650B SantaCruz Reserve wheel I have considered this. I have the 29'r version and read up on things and everyone seems to agree that you really should purchase the 650B version and jam a 29'r front on vs. the 29'r version and adding the smaller rear wheel. Which way did you go? I imagine it would be amazing on the steeps and basic climbing, what about up and down riding?

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
I got the 29-er, and tried the 27.5 on a pure DH as I cocked up the 29 rear, I figured ‘why not’?
But the few hundred feet of climbing (above 14,500 ft) felt absolutely normal.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts