Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Ok, got the bike built up, with all of the upgrades, it is just over 28 pounds. It was a hair over 32#’s stock. Not bad for a 160/170 rig. Still deciding between a Zeb and a 38...

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,418 Posts
Well, I couldn’t get a frame only until next fall (seriously), so I went with a C70. But I am stripping it of everything but the X2. Then it gets a Fox 38, full XTR drivetrain and brakes, with dt240’s on carbon hoops. Also a 175 carbon dropper, carbon bars, dissector DD and the Assegai up front. Should be pretty badass.
Yeah I also heard the '21s are sold out, and my LBS is already having to reserve '22 models. I am lucky I at least got my name on an A70 I suppose.

The carbon bikes are shipping first, so at least you got your hands on one as well. Your built seems dialed. I'd go with a 38, but I haven't ridden either the 38 (yet) or the Zeb, so that's simply a case of matching the rear suspension and personal preference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ohh my, this bike is sooo good!
On the side of the downtube where the rocky logo would normally be, is the entire purple/rocky mountain logo part just one big set of decals?

If so, is it all above the clearcoat?

My rocky dealers are sold out of the black/brown, and I'm not too fond of the black/purple with the bright red text, but if I can just peel that all off to look like yours that would be sweet!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Shloogle , I just bought a sheet of black gloss vinyl and covered the red Rocky Mountain down tube logo's up. Super simple.

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Greasy test run with the new ride.
Too icy/greasy to tell much, but you can feel the higher anti squat, pedals better than the previous instinct, was really good on rocky ups. It actually feels a little shorter even though the reach #’s are longer, probably due to the STA. Wheelies easier than the ’18 Altitude. Bummed the rear shock only has R and C, I will probably get a factory X2 to replace it In order to get HSC/LSC-HSR/LSR...
I really only got it dirty today, but so far I LOVE it. Felt right at ‘home’, if that makes sense.

So, nerds, any thoughts on running a 230x 65 shock on this thing?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Greasy test run with the new ride.
Too icy/greasy to tell much, but you can feel the higher anti squat, pedals better than the previous instinct, was really good on rocky ups. It actually feels a little shorter even though the reach #’s are longer, probably due to the STA. Wheelies easier than the ’18 Altitude. Bummed the rear shock only has R and C, I will probably get a factory X2 to replace it In order to get HSC/LSC-HSR/LSR...
I really only got it dirty today, but so far I LOVE it. Felt right at ‘home’, if that makes sense.

So, nerds, any thoughts on running a 230x 65 shock on this thing?
You can't long shock this bike, Rocky mentions this in their Carbon Tech Manual on page 18 , highlighted in RED under "shock fitment" header.
A stroke longer than 60 will result in the link colliding with the frame.

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Good to know!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dear Altitude owners,

I've had my 2021 Altitude C70 29 for about two months now, what a frustrating experience it has been so far.
The bike itself is amazing to ride when everything is working well, but for a bike that cost me half a fortune the list of problems I've encountered has been really disappointing.
Just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences?

- My only 'current' issue is a loud creaking in the frame when the shock extends to the very top of it's travel. I've pulled the bike apart, cleaned/re-greased all the pivots and bolts, and correctly torqued everything, so I think it's the something in the shock.
I'm not sure if it's always done this as I've had many other noises that have distracted me which I've only recently fixed. I'm taking it back to the bike shop to get this looked at next week.

- Front brake caliper was installed with the spacers on the wrong side, so only 50% of the pad was contacting the rotor. Took me a few rides to work out why my braking power was so poor, then fixed it. I think this was just someone in the bike shop having a brain fart when putting the bike together, they appologised when I raised it with them.

- Left hand side rear brake pad constantly rubs on the rear rotor, and the caliper cannot move any further to the left hand side of the bike. That means I can't move the caliper any further over to stop the small rub, and there is no way I can centre the pistons in the caliper without the rear brake draging heavily.

- Fork felt super harsh and had a lot of stiction from day 1. After spending hours and hours bracketing my setup and trying basically every variation on every adjustment, I decided to give the lowers and air spring a service. The seals were bone dry and the air spring was caked with grease on the negative side. The fork feels much better now, although still a little harsh (tight seals maybe?)

- Headset creaking. Cleaned and re greased everything (twice so far).

- Noise during suspension movement coming from where the rear brake hose feeds into the bottom of the front triangle. Gave it a clean and a wiggle, seems to be sorted now.

So yeah, not a great experience. I could have taken it back to the shop for each issue I guess, but it's such a hassle and I want to ride the thing.
I don't live anywhere particularly dusty and I'm pretty careful with cleaning, just mild soap and a low pressure hose - so I don't think I'm the problem
Hopefully once the issue with the shock is sorted I can enjoy the bike instead of getting frustrated every ride with all kinds of creaking noises.

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Absolutely zero problems so far. (But I completely, 100% disassembled it and rebuilt it). Took it for a weekend of chunky gnurr in Denver and Lyons over the weekend, and the thing hauls balls. Will take a little getting used to on a 170 fork coming from a 160 on the climbs, but that will come.
just got it a new toy, though...

Not bad weight for the Zeb and inserts...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Looks great - yeah really impressed with how well it pedals for a 170/160 bike. Coming from an alloy YT Capra with no climb switch, this feels like a XC bike!

Only changes I've made are switching to a Turbine wheelset with DHR 2/Dissector, and the EDC tool.
Also some white Race Face decals on the rims, and a tubolito tucked under my bottle cage (inspired by Jesse Melamed's Altitude!)

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
If you look closely, you can see a tubolito on mine tucked up above the shock. I drilled out my water bottle cage so it sits lower, allowing for a one liter water bottle...

·
Ian Limburg
*Custom* 2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt 770 MSL
108 Posts
She's mostly done, just waiting on a 38.

I love the bike! Sweet ride! I'm riding a 2016 Thunderbolt 770 MSL that is custom built with 140mm of travel. Love that bike, but this one is very tempting.

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Here it is with the liter water bottle...

·
Registered
346 Posts
- Fork felt super harsh and had a lot of stiction from day 1. After spending hours and hours bracketing my setup and trying basically every variation on every adjustment, I decided to give the lowers and air spring a service. The seals were bone dry and the air spring was caked with grease on the negative side. The fork feels much better now, although still a little harsh (tight seals maybe?)
This is 100% a Fox problem. I don't consider fox forks rideable until they get a lowers service and a ton of slickoleum around the dust wipers. The issue is particularly bad in their larger forks and substantially less pronounced in the 32 and 34. It's something that I'll always do for myself before riding them the first time.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts