Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2021-22 Devinci Troy or Rocky Mountain Instinct

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. Lots of very helpful folks and I really appreciate the knowledge I've gained just by reading here.

I have been out of the biking game for a while but I've got the "bug" again and have been doing a ton of research, reading as much as I can, renting what I can, and watching every YouTube video I can find. Things have changed so much since I've last bought a bike (2008). I've visited every single bike shop in my city and I've got my choice narrowed down to the two bikes in the subject line. I would love to get some input because I have to order sight unseen and without trying them due to the current market.

I am 5'9" - 5'10", 170lbs. I'm an experienced rider but I am no professional. Riding will be primarily in & around Calgary, Alberta area (Canmore Nordic, Beaumont, WestBragg, COP Bike Park (groomed), etc.) For those not familiar with the area, I won't be doing any double blacks, crazy features or 15ft drops but I like to ride hard on the greens, blues, and smooth jump trails. Techy blacks are OK. Basically a lot of mixed climbing and descending. If I go to a big bike park like Whistler, I will rent a proper DH bike, so I don't need it to bridge that gap. I want the most capable bike I can possibly buy without hating life on the climbs and without buying a 40lb 170mm Enduro bike. This seems to put me in the "all mountain" or "beefy trail bike" category.

So what would you guys pick and why?

The Troy has the best spec I think, possibly a stronger frame, and appears to be slightly better value for the money:

Troy Carbon|Alu GX 12S - Black Edition

Devinci Troy Carbon/Alu GX12S
Fox36 Performance GRIP 150mm
Fox DPX2 Performance Elite 140mm
Carbon front triangle / Aluminum rear triangle
RaceFace AR35 wheels
Factor Hubs
Full SRAM GX Drivetrain
Code R brakes w/200mm rotors
SDC Tellis dropper post, 34.9mm
65/77.5 HTA/STA (adjustable by half a degree)
Sizing chart puts me in a medium (460mm reach) OR a large (480mm reach)
33.95lbs
$5699 CAD

The Instinct just seems like a really great all-round bike with no real downsides either, but componentry overall looks to be slightly worse value:

https://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/instinct/2021?tid=72

Rocky Mountain Instinct A50
Fox36 Performance GRIP 150mm
Fox DPX2 Performance (non-elite) 140mm
Aluminium frame
WTB ST Light i30 Wheels
House brand front hub, DT Swiss 370 rear hub
XT rear derailleur, SLX/Deore everything else
SLX Brakes with 180mm rotors
RaceFace Affect R Dropper, 30.9mm
65.1/76.1 HTA/STA (adjustable by 1.1 degree)
Sizing chart puts me in a large with 493mm reach
33.70 lbs
$5649 CAD

I don't have the experience to say I prefer SRAM or Shimano, so as long as it isn't terrible either way I probably won't care. Seems like a Ford vs. Chevy type deal. I get the impression people seem to prefer Shimano for shifting and SRAM for brakes.

Both bikes are all-new for 2021 and I would be buying a 2022 model (unchanged from 2021).

Other bikes I have looked at and eliminated for one reason or another:
  • Ibis Ripmo AF (can't stand the look of it)
  • Specialized Stumpjumper Evo Alloy Comp (seems like more of a trail bike and too many people having problems with frames/shocks)
  • Norco Sight A2 (low-end components for the money, don't love the look, and possibly too big/burly)
  • Trek Fuel Ex8 (not enough travel, never really loved Trek)
  • Norco Optic C3 (not enough travel)
  • SantaCruz High Tower (expensive, doesn't get reviewed as well as some others)
  • All internet-direct bikes (tariffs on bikes coming into Canada are insane - around 20%)

I'm not looking for additional bike suggestions at this point - I'm finding this all very overwhelming as it is haha!

What would you guys choose, and more importantly, why? Devinci Troy or Rocky Mountain Instinct, specifically in the above builds. Both are brand new designs as of 2021. I think I am leaning towards the Troy based on looks, fancy DW link suspension, partial carbon frame, and spec, but I'm sure I'd be equally happy with the Rocky as well. Thanks for your time!

· Registered
2015 Devinci Troy. 2004 Fuji Nevada. 2014 Rocky Mountain Instinct 970 MSL
478 Posts
I'd go for the Troy, but I don't really have a good reason to give you other than I have a 2015 Troy with no complaints. I don't have experience with the Rocky Mountain, or anything else really, enough to say why one is better than the other. I think the Troy looks better on paper (elite, carbon, full gx over deore, bigger rotor, beefier dropper).

fwiw I'm 5'10" and ride a Large (reach listed as 441), which I like a lot. But the geometry is so different from 2015 to the 2021, I don't think that info is very useful to you.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd go for the Troy, but I don't really have a good reason to give you other than I have a 2015 Troy with no complaints. I don't have experience with the Rocky Mountain, or anything else really, enough to say why one is better than the other. I think the Troy looks better on paper (elite, carbon, full gx over deore, bigger rotor, beefier dropper).

fwiw I'm 5'10" and ride a Large (reach listed as 441), which I like a lot. But the geometry is so different from 2015 to the 2021, I don't think that info is very useful to you.
Thanks, I appreciate the input. The sizing information is helpful as well as I am on the edge between medium and large in the Troy. Good point on the wider dropper. The Rocky is actually XT/SLX, however I see the link I posted takes you to the Alloy 30 model (no way to link directly to the Alloy 50).

I know the geo is quite bit different for 2021, but how do you find climbing with your Troy?

· Old enough to remember ..
43 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate the input. The sizing information is helpful as well as I am on the edge between medium and large in the Troy. Good point on the wider dropper. The Rocky is actually XT/SLX, however I see the link I posted takes you to the Alloy 30 model (no way to link directly to the Alloy 50).

I know the geo is quite bit different for 2021, but how do you find climbing with your Troy?
Either way it's Canadian!(y)(y)

· Registered
96 Posts
I haven't ridden either so don't have much input, but I thought I'd mention that with the Instinct is that you'd be able to swap the linkage bits and morph it to an Altitude if you ever feel the need for bigger travel. Also if you like experimenting with geometry, the Rockies have the fairly neat ride 9 system.

· Registered
2015 Devinci Troy. 2004 Fuji Nevada. 2014 Rocky Mountain Instinct 970 MSL
478 Posts
I don't have much to compare it to, as my previous bike was a 2005 hardtail with a cheap coil fork. The Troy is obviously much better than that. I think it climbs really well. Only occasionally my front wheel comes up off the ground but that might be more faulty technique on my part. The updated geo probably would solve that. On long climbs I lock everything out and it's fantastic.

Link to my geo for reference DEVINCI That 493mm on the instinct looks huge to me! Some of my components are upgraded beyond spec, like I have 2.6 minions, gx eagle, and a dropper, so in those ways it's similar to the 2022.

Devinici uses a Hi/Lo flip chip for geometry adjustment. It's definitely not 9 different choices but at least it's 2. I have mine set to Hi, and with 175mm cranks, I've recently been finding the bottom bracket height to be a touch low. The 2022 is a touch taller.

Also, for the record I've been eyeballing that same Troy your looking at, and want it so bad. Especially the black edition. But I'm currently about $5000 short.

· Registered
15,308 Posts
Both are likely more than you'll use on the trails you've mentioned. This is because you've not ridden for awhile and need some demos to get the feel for current suspension and geo. Bikes do more with less now. Reviews online are helpful but demoing or renting shorter travel bikes would let you focus the research better and reduce the overwhelmingness.
I'd look for playful for your terrain. These are stable for pushing the speed at the limits.
If you go Instinct there are rear hub parts to convert the 370 pawls to 350 ratchets. 36T would be my choice.

· Registered
139 Posts
I have the 21 Troy XT model with the 160mm fork. I love the feel of the bike (sizing and geometry), but didn't like the X2 at all. The model you're looking at has the DPX2, so it might be better. I ended up swapping to a coil shock which works better for my riding style. The pedal platform on the DW link is great and while the Fox 36 doesn't have great small bump compliance, it handles big hits and fast chunk well.

I cannot speak to the Instinct, but it looks plenty capable. I would bet both bikes will be great for the riding you described.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Either way it's Canadian!(y)(y)
That's true! I believe Devinci is the only bike manufacturer still making the frames in Canada too, at least the aluminum ones.

I haven't ridden either so don't have much input, but I thought I'd mention that with the Instinct is that you'd be able to swap the linkage bits and morph it to an Altitude if you ever feel the need for bigger travel. Also if you like experimenting with geometry, the Rockies have the fairly neat ride 9 system.
I believe only the carbon models have a removable rear shock linkage but please correct me if I am wrong. I am intrigued by the ride 9 system but I also wonder if it's something people either use at one of the two extremes and leave it alone. Either way I welcome any adjustable geo on the bikes.

I don't have much to compare it to, as my previous bike was a 2005 hardtail with a cheap coil fork. The Troy is obviously much better than that. I think it climbs really well. Only occasionally my front wheel comes up off the ground but that might be more faulty technique on my part. The updated geo probably would solve that. On long climbs I lock everything out and it's fantastic.

Link to my geo for reference DEVINCI That 493mm on the instinct looks huge to me! Some of my components are upgraded beyond spec, like I have 2.6 minions, gx eagle, and a dropper, so in those ways it's similar to the 2022.

Devinici uses a Hi/Lo flip chip for geometry adjustment. It's definitely not 9 different choices but at least it's 2. I have mine set to Hi, and with 175mm cranks, I've recently been finding the bottom bracket height to be a touch low. The 2022 is a touch taller.

Also, for the record I've been eyeballing that same Troy your looking at, and want it so bad. Especially the black edition. But I'm currently about $5000 short.
Thanks - I don't mind reaching down for the lockout every now and then if that ends up being necessary. I rented a Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt 27.5 on the weekend in size large and the reach was 453mm - it felt comfortable. Given that I am guessing I might be a Medium (460) rather than Large (480) in a Troy, but perhaps those are all small differences - I don't have a good sense for that.

It's a sweet looking bike for sure - especially in my opinion the black carbon/alu combo. LOL I am not super thrilled about spending nearly $6K either - the last new bike I bought in 2008 was full XT/Fox float front & rear/Raceface/DT Swiss for only $2800.

Both are likely more than you'll use on the trails you've mentioned. This is because you've not ridden for awhile and need some demos to get the feel for current suspension and geo. Bikes do more with less now. Reviews online are helpful but demoing or renting shorter travel bikes would let you focus the research better and reduce the overwhelmingness.
I'd look for playful for your terrain. These are stable for pushing the speed at the limits.
If you go Instinct there are rear hub parts to convert the 370 pawls to 350 ratchets. 36T would be my choice.
I've rented a Rocky Thunderbolt twice (the easiest rental available to me) to get used to the 1X drivetrains, new geo, larger wheels (though it wasn't 29), and the dropper posts. All of it is just so good. Unfortuntely there is zero chance I will get to try the Instinct or Troy before I buy until maybe 2023 at the earliest as all these bikes get pre-sold months in advance. If I bough tomorrow, the Rocky would be November delivery and the Troy would be late January 2022 delivery - both would be received in our Winter, and I'd be waiting until Spring to ride regadless.

I have the 21 Troy XT model with the 160mm fork. I love the feel of the bike (sizing and geometry), but didn't like the X2 at all. The model you're looking at has the DPX2, so it might be better. I ended up swapping to a coil shock which works better for my riding style. The pedal platform on the DW link is great and while the Fox 36 doesn't have great small bump compliance, it handles big hits and fast chunk well.

I cannot speak to the Instinct, but it looks plenty capable. I would bet both bikes will be great for the riding you described.
Thanks! Nice to hear from someone who has a 21 Troy. I'm mostly concerned about climbing ability so if you say it pedals well that is helpful. And you're totally right, I'm sure I'd be happy with either, but I want to make sure I'm making the most optimized decision possible as it's a lot of money and I'll have to buy without trying it. Mine would be the 150mm up front though as I can't afford the special edition :D I have read the DPX2 is more "lively" than that DH oriented X2 so it's probably more suited to my area.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate the input.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thought I should report back with what I ended up doing. I ordered a 2022 Devinci Troy Alu/Carbon GX Black Edition:

Seemed to be the best bang for my buck frame and component wise, and I love the look. Also they actually make their frames in Canada to my knowledge, which I think is cool.

Thanks again everyone.

· Registered
2,293 Posts

I replaced the X2 on my Troy with a DPX2. Feels a lot more lively now and uses all the travel a lot more easily.

· Registered
2,293 Posts

· high pivot witchcraft
6,721 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys - I am pumped. It wont be here until January, and then I get to stare at it for ~4-5 months waiting for snow to melt before I can ride, but that's OK haha. Just trying to figure out sizing now but I think I am a Medium (I'm 5'10" 175lbs). I rented a Large Rocky Thunderbolt with a similar reach to the Medium Troy as well and it seemed comfortable, but I get the impression bike sizing these days is more subjective than ever and all over the place.

· Registered
2,293 Posts
Thanks guys - I am pumped. It wont be here until January, and then I get to stare at it for ~4-5 months waiting for snow to melt before I can ride, but that's OK haha. Just trying to figure out sizing now but I think I am a Medium (I'm 5'10" 175lbs). I rented a Large Rocky Thunderbolt with a similar reach to the Medium Troy as well and it seemed comfortable, but I get the impression bike sizing these days is more subjective than ever and all over the place.
I'm same height on a large with a 33mm stem. I could definitely ride either. I have kind of long legs and arms so works for me pretty well. If I was on a medium would just run a 50mm stem.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm same height on a large with a 33mm stem. I could definitely ride either. I have kind of long legs and arms so works for me pretty well. If I was on a medium would just run a 50mm stem.
Thanks. Yeah I will probably just get a medium and adjust things like the stem if necessary, unless my LBS strongly suggests something different. They said they may get other Troy's in before mine that I can come in and sit on at least. I wear 32/32 pants and I don't feel like I have exceptionally long legs or arms for my height. My LBS asked for my inseam so I will have to measure that as well and get back to them, so they at least care about getting me on the right sized bike which is nice. Their generic suggestion was to size down for playfulness and size up if I like to plow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.