Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm hoping to do a few xc races this year hopefully as the fall / winter / spring stuff starts rolling in - anyone else got any plans?

Share the Road Ride - Oct 2 - 38 mile gravel race ride --I live close so definitely on this one
Keyesville Classic - Oct 23/24 - maybe on this one
Ridgecrest Desert Classic - Nov 13 - this one got canceled last year, their social media looks dead, hopefully it will come back since it's my favorite event
SoCal Endurance 6/12 - Nov 13 - my alt if Ridgecrest doesn't happen

Looks like Team Big Bear and Southridge are both running races next year 2022 so lots to choose from

Any races at Bonelli? I always liked racing there but not sure who still runs that race

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,773 Posts
There haven't been any races at Bonelli since 2019 I think. I don't remember it being on the schedule for 2020, but that was an Olympic year and the schedule was designed around that (Team Big Bear handles those). Covid shut down every permit for LA. I would like to return there next year.

I will be doing the Rim race, when it happens. That is the second reschedule.

I am doing the 24 hour as a two person, Coed team.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Share the Road Ride - 1st Gravel edition was really fun for anyone else that was able to attend.

Couple more events I dug up!

Good Dirt Ride - 50 mile mtb ride in OC area

Southridge Challenge - Nov 13, 14 - not sure how I missed this one! Same weekend as SoCal endurance. I don't think I have it in me to do 6 hours solo in Temecula so I will probably ride the Fontana XC race

I am doing the 24 hour as a two person, Coed team.
That's pretty nuts, props. Longest event I've done was an 8 hour two person. I think a 24 hour race would mess me up too much, sleepwise!

I'm just a mid/back of the pack sport rider. I've put in a lot of trainer time this fall and watched my diet a lot better so hoping to be more competitive come January. I don't really mind a lousy finish though - I like to support the local race organizers and enjoy the race scene for a few hours.

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,773 Posts
24 was cancelled, but I might do it 12 hour solo instead (my team mate is). Undecided, which usually means I will.

My first MTB event was a 12 hour solo in Temecula. On a borrowed 40 pound hardtail that was too big for me, snapped the chain 9 hours in, but I was hooked.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Southridge series starts this Saturday. I think the site is down though:

I was there for XC - it was great to get out and race. I rode a newish to me bike and kept pedal striking everywhere and got hung up a few times on some of the singletrack climbs. I'm glad I rode a full suspension with dropper though, the course is super rocky. Met a lot of really nice people, reminded me how important these events are.

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,773 Posts
I was really bummed to see such a low turnout. When I first started racing there 5+ years ago it would be packed. And there would also be a ton of Pro's there practice racing since the first race of the season was Fontana earning them UCI points for the WC races. I think there were less people total this Saturday than the pro class used to have on its own!

That said, I will be doing as many of the races as possible this year.

The course was pretty chewed up making it feel much slower than before, but also more fun. Really had to earn it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I was really bummed to see such a low turnout. When I first started racing there 5+ years ago it would be packed. And there would also be a ton of Pro's there practice racing since the first race of the season was Fontana earning them UCI points for the WC races. I think there were less people total this Saturday than the pro class used to have on its own!

The course was pretty chewed up making it feel much slower than before, but also more fun. Really had to earn it.
Yeah, hopefully things pickup - I think people are just getting back into events. Seemed like more people were rolling in for the enduro race later in the day at least.

Also - Keyesville Classic now in April
April 23/24

·
Registered
7,261 Posts

It might be because there's no race info on their site. What day is enduro? What time does it start? How come for the second season, they cant respond to my emails sent from their site? I'm not driving down the mountain to find I showed up for cross country race day. This is two years now that I'm sitting out the Winter Series. That's what, 8-10 races worth of entry fees for them?

ETA Keyesville had a low turnout in October. I'm already registered for the spring event.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
WHat info are you looking for? THis is the front page of their website. Dates, times, fees, map,

View attachment 1965102
Thanks for that. I didn't see it on a link from FB. I'll be out for the next race.

ETA I just went to their site. That info wasn't on there in late December when I saw the FB post about the winter series.

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,773 Posts
I do think the site was down at some point. I went to look and nothing was loading right. But went back a few days later and all looked fine.

Edit: if the site was down, might be (just a maybe) why they weren't responding to messages, they may not have been going through.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had a great race lap. Until my front axle came loose because I didn't torque it 🤦‍♀️

I already signed up for the 8 hour.
I think 8 hour is a little too much solo for me at the moment - I've done 2 person duo 8 hour but never solo. I'm going to keep racing the Fontana series until Keyesville. Plus Temecula is a massive trek for me from the SFV.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I raced Over the Hump #2 and Southridge #3. Over the Hump course is fast with not much tech, ideal for a first time racer. They have tons of info/guides/class descriptions on their site and even a group of volunteers there to help beginners. Put my fastest lap time at Fontana, pretty happy with that.

Some upcoming events this month:
Feb 11-13 - Team Big Bear XC #1, Endurance #1

Feb 19-20 - Southridge #4

Feb 26 - Over the Hump #3

Also I got in touch with Ridgecrest Desert Classic organizers on Facebook and they plan on having the event this year.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts