Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
220mm insertion
One up 180 dropper is 267mm insertion. So I can't slam it fully into medium frame. That's very disappointing. On insurgent medium I was barely running 150 dropper, after cutting end of the tube inside seat tube. Part of the reason why I sold it. I'm on ripmo af medium currently with 180 dropper.

·
Registered
148 Posts
One up 180 dropper is 267mm insertion. So I can't slam it fully into medium frame. That's very disappointing. On insurgent medium I was barely running 150 dropper, after cutting end of the tube inside seat tube. Part of the reason why I sold it. I'm on ripmo af medium currently with 180 dropper.
Plenty of good bikes out there if this is a deal breaker for ya. It's always been the "limitation" of the design but not a deal breaker for most folks. I loved my AF, best but not nearly as fun of a bike as an evil, although prob a better pedaling bike. Different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I 100% agree with you.

This is meant to be supplemental to real ride reviews and test rides. I personally would not buy a bike without test riding or recommend anyone else does. A bike is a sum of it's parts and there are tons of unique factors that go into how a bike rides and feels that will never be modeled accurately, and I nor anyone is claiming that this analysis should be your single source of information. Physics is physics though, and these attributes will show themselves and it's good knowledge to have though to inform purchasing decisions.

For example, based on other Evil bikes, if I was buying a new Wreckoning, I would purchase an air shock for it. Now that I have seen how progressive it is, I wouldn't do that, or at least try it first before buying. I'd also think twice about putting a high engagement hub on there as you'll feel pedal kickback more often.
High engagement hub has nothing to do with pedal kickback.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Do we think the frame is close enough to the LB that the Tailored Protection Kit from Ride Wraps will work? I'd like to apply the frame protection while the bike is still in the shop and clean.
UPDATE: Ride Wraps is looking for a donor frame so they can develop a kit if anyone is in the Whistler area. The recommended a "Covered" kit until they have the "Tailored" released.

Need more parts!

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
So are these bikes out in the wild yet ? Looks like a few custom builds popping up but I'm guessing the build kits are still not available. Looking forward to hearing some impressions. This bike definitely has my interest.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
So any idea when full bikes will be available? Why launch a bike if you can’t buy it yet? Kinda like the Ford Bronco. Is the strategy just to keep you from buying another bike? Drop it now and make you wait to buy?

·
Registered
173 Posts
434897D7-9E66-4FF3-B6D2-7E8D84206857.jpg

Offering vs Wreckoning.

Both mediums with Offering running 150mm and -1 degree angle set in low and Wreckoning at 170mm in low. You can see how slack the seat tube is on the Wreckoning fully extended compared to the Offering. Now just need to ride it. I’ll be able to fit a 210mm one up dropper on this frame.

·
Registered
121 Posts
After assembly of a Large with 170mm cranks, I definitely could have gone with a 210mm dropper. I was able to ride 12 miles Sunday and was impressed with the way the coil soaked up large roots. I need to sort out the cable rattles. The inserts (or whatever you call them for the cable transition into the top tube from the swingarm) aren't cooperating and the cables are crazy loud.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Had my cable collar pulling out a bit on the der side so plan to lengthen the cable just a bit for a bigger loop. Bike is awesome though. Really precise when descending and can pump and pop almost as well as my Offering. Doesn’t feel like it gives up much on climbing either with only a bit more steering required. The top tube is a bit shorter so I’ll likely switch to a 40mm stem for a bit more reach.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Had my cable collar pulling out a bit on the der side so plan to lengthen the cable just a bit for a bigger loop. Bike is awesome though. Really precise when descending and can pump and pop almost as well as my Offering. Doesn’t feel like it gives up much on climbing either with only a bit more steering required. The top tube is a bit shorter so I’ll likely switch to a 40mm stem for a bit more reach.
Is it that noticeably shorter feeling than the offering? im 5'10-5'11ish I've ridden a medium offering and really liked the fit, almost perfect actually, wouldnt want much shorter or longer. this being a bigger more burly bike im considering the large.

some of the newer geo bikes with long front AND rears feel awesome in medium-high speed sketchy corners, off camber, etc. but I really dont care for them in low speed tight stuff. I thought The offering was the best of both worlds, long enough front to produce a lot more grip than old evils, but still super easy to whip around tight corners. Dont want to lose that with the wreckoning if it feels too short.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My problems are on the brake side. For the life of me, I cannot get the collar to fit into the frame with the lines already run. The brake line is 5mm, and wide enough to spread the smaller end too much to get it to insert. I've debated popping the brake line and trying to insert the collar first, then routing the line. Who knows.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My problems are on the brake side. For the life of me, I cannot get the collar to fit into the frame with the lines already run. The brake line is 5mm, and wide enough to spread the smaller end too much to get it to insert. I've debated popping the brake line and trying to insert the collar first, then routing the line. Who knows.
Maybe a dumb question, but did you try a different collar? Looks like some are for the 5mm brake hose and some for the 4mm der cable.

Did a 15 mile, 3000’ climb ride today on the Wreckoning and the cable collars stayed put. Lengthening the cable a bit did the trick for me.

·
Paste eater
3,717 Posts
View attachment 1355285

Offering vs Wreckoning.

Both mediums with Offering running 150mm and -1 degree angle set in low and Wreckoning at 170mm in low. You can see how slack the seat tube is on the Wreckoning fully extended compared to the Offering. Now just need to ride it. I’ll be able to fit a 210mm one up dropper on this frame.
Does the ST feel slacker than the offering? I had a v1 wrecker. Loved the bike but ST was too slack. Now I have an offering at 160mm with a -1 angleset. ST is better but would not want it any slacker.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Does the ST feel slacker than the offering? I had a v1 wrecker. Loved the bike but ST was too slack. Now I have an offering at 160mm with a -1 angleset. ST is better but would not want it any slacker.
It’s actually a bit odd... the Wreckoning does feel a bit slacker with the post extended, but the cockpit is shorter so it seems to climb just as well. I did two identical laps of my local semi-technical neighborhood loop (1000’ feet climb up with some loose rocky sections and a loose baby head single track down with a half mile pavement grind back around to my house) and the times were within a minute of each other. Pretty good for a 50 minute loop. Heart rate average and max were almost identical so about the same effort on each lap. The offering was just a bit faster on the climb but the Wrecker was just a bit faster on the downs and seems to hold the corners better. Oddly enough I was faster on the Wrecker on the pavement grind. The Offering “felt” a bit faster and easier to throw around but the clock says different on speed.

I got 3000’ of climbing on the Wreckoning on Sat without any issue...and I’m way out of shape. Add the increased technical capability on the super steep stuff and I have to give the edge to the Wreckoning. I plan on keeping both for now but I’d say they are interchangeable depending on what you like and your terrain. Now when it comes to drops and big jumps, the bigger bike adds a nice level of comfort for those oh $hit moments.

·
Paste eater
3,717 Posts
It’s actually a bit odd... the Wreckoning does feel a bit slacker with the post extended, but the cockpit is shorter so it seems to climb just as well. I did two identical laps of my local semi-technical neighborhood loop (1000’ feet climb up with some loose rocky sections and a loose baby head single track down with a half mile pavement grind back around to my house) and the times were within a minute of each other. Pretty good for a 50 minute loop. Heart rate average and max were almost identical so about the same effort on each lap. The offering was just a bit faster on the climb but the Wrecker was just a bit faster on the downs and seems to hold the corners better. Oddly enough I was faster on the Wrecker on the pavement grind. The Offering “felt” a bit faster and easier to throw around but the clock says different on speed.

I got 3000’ of climbing on the Wreckoning on Sat without any issue...and I’m way out of shape. Add the increased technical capability on the super steep stuff and I have to give the edge to the Wreckoning. I plan on keeping both for now but I’d say they are interchangeable depending on what you like and your terrain. Now when it comes to drops and big jumps, the bigger bike adds a nice level of comfort for those oh $hit moments.
Awesome. This is helpful. I'm in Colorado. The only time i got sick of lugging around my v1 wrecker was mid summer in really high alpine XC rides. Even then, in places like crested butte the downhills are so fast and rocky it was worth it. :p

·
Registered
121 Posts
I rode my local loop this weekend in OH; 7.85mi w/ 1,200ft of climbing. The bike felt great, and I had two Top-3 climbs on Strava while Open in the rear. The bike pedals great and was absolutely great on the descents. I also visited a local jump line and had to dial up the HSC and flip the threshold to pedal in order to feel comfortable. The jump line is more BMX/DJ focused, so I think my 29er wasn't ideal.

81 - 100 of 124 Posts