Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

381 - 400 of 406 Posts

·
Community Manager at Trek
414 Posts
Hello to All,

I bought my supercaliber two months ago.
It's really a super bike ;) But the paint is really a shame

It sould be cover by the guarantee but I have few hope....
I am the only one with that kind of problems ?
Sorry to see that chip, it does look like the edge may have been caught which is something I would suggest bringing up to your LBS. However, if you want to keep riding, I would just suggest some touch-up paint for that area. If you want a matching paint, the Pantone color code for that is PMS 389.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thank you both for yours answers.

I know there are nothing serious is " only" cosmetic but i really take care of my bike I am a little bit sad to saw that and may be anxious for the futur ;)

Sorry Mitch I didn't catch the following line ( I know I have to improve my english :) What do you mean ? Thanks for the painting code it's a great info ;)

Sorry to see that chip, it does look like the edge may have been caught
I already opened a case to Trek France in order to see if the warranty could cover that.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
i feel your pain, and this one is a bit of a grey area, but i wouldn't warranty that either if i were Trek. its a bike. the tab flexed, possibly because it was overtightened, and the paint flaked off. the paint is too thick to begin with and its very likely to happen again. touch it up and ride the bike. its a tool, not a show piece.

better than a warranty is being made to feel like trek listens to input/feedback on products so that they continue to get better in the future. i'd like to see them start stripping the paint under the seatpost clamp and would also like to see them tighten up their BB shell tolerances. and you still hear ALOT about thru-shaft shock reliability. POINT is, this isn't a warranty issue, BUT IT IS a quality level issue. they need to up their game in general. just ride the bike and enjoy it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Trek rejected the case.

The price is prenium but not the service ;)
i feel your pain, and this one is a bit of a grey area, but i wouldn't warranty that either if i were Trek. its a bike. the tab flexed, possibly because it was overtightened, and the paint flaked off. the paint is too thick to begin with and its very likely to happen again. touch it up and ride the bike. its a tool, not a show piece.

better than a warranty is being made to feel like trek listens to input/feedback on products so that they continue to get better in the future. i'd like to see them start stripping the paint under the seatpost clamp and would also like to see them tighten up their BB shell tolerances. and you still hear ALOT about thru-shaft shock reliability. POINT is, this isn't a warranty issue, BUT IT IS a quality level issue. they need to up their game in general. just ride the bike and enjoy it.
Hello Matt thanks for you message I am sharing your analysis, just one thing more, the bike has been bought 3 months ago, the paint should be cover by the warranty during one year ;)

It was my first Trek and probably the last one, I bought it 4500€ and spent more than 2500€ in order to upgrade it, I think I could easily find an another brand ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello Matt thanks for you message I am sharing your analysis, just one thing more, the bike has been bought 3 months ago, the paint should be cover by the warranty during one year ;)

It was my first Trek and probably the last one, I bought it 4500€ and spent more than 2500€ in order to upgrade it, I think I could easily find an another brand ;)
Wait, you are saying this is going to be your last Trek just because they gave you an honest warranty answer for something so minor that definitely didn't arrive or happen from manufacturing? Sounds like you just wanted them to kiss your butt and you're not happy.

I'm sorry, but you should be a little more honest with yourself and expectations.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts

its likely not an issue with workmanship though unless paint flakes off elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
i tend to agree, i think it's an unreasonable expectation. it's not a Pegoretti, where the paint is the REASON for the bike. paint is priority #3,951 when it comes to a mountainbike.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wait, you are saying this is going to be your last Trek just because they gave you an honest warranty answer for something so minor that definitely didn't arrive or happen from manufacturing? Sounds like you just wanted them to kiss your butt and you're not happy.

I'm sorry, but you should be a little more honest with yourself and expectations.
Why are you so angry ? I don't understand yours reactions...

The bike is like a brand new and the paint is crumbling and that situation should be normal ?! Are you joking ?
We are not talking about stones impacts but a paint weakness.Like Matt said it's an quality issue and that part is covered during the first year.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
so the rear bushing on my rear triangle was egregiously tight. rather than go through the warranty process, i was able to have a burnishing tool machined by blueliquidlabs.com (see MTBR thread here: Tight Bushings = Harshness).

it went from so tight the stanchion would hardly move without twisting it, to perfect. absolutely perfect. not too loose, not too tight. only took one pass, though it was a VERY difficult pass. OD of the tool was ~36.1mm using Verniers. Really stoked. I'll rent out the tool if anyone needs, or you can commission Oliver at site above to make you one.

·
Community Manager at Trek
414 Posts
Why are you so angry ? I don't understand yours reactions...

The bike is like a brand new and the paint is crumbling and that situation should be normal ?! Are you joking ?
We are not talking about stones impacts but a paint weakness.Like Matt said it's an quality issue and that part is covered during the first year.
Take this as a grain of salt, but from the looks of it, your chip does look like something caught your frame and if it didn't arrive at your dealer like that, then it would have been done post-purchase which I would consider being non-warranty. We look for manufacturing defects when claims are submitted, we need evidence of that to ensure we are reviewing a claim, but we try to assess all claims fairly. But let's be honest, your paint isn't crumbling, it is just one small unfortunate chip. I think some touch-up paint should just be added which then you could ride on without further concerns. Chips can happen so maybe even add some InvisiFrame or Ride Wrap if this is something that you worry about with your mountain bikes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
my bike is around 80 hours ride.
the front suspension stepcast 32 performance will be to a service with 125 hours.

has anyone did any maintenance at isostrut? has any service kit to buy? what is the recommendation about hours/replacement kits ? any table to follow?

1609177298180.png
1609177298180.png

the manual of isostrut has this mention, but its no clear about kit etc.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
treat the outside like a fork and the inside (damper circuit) like a fox dps shock. trek sells a kit on their site with seals and foam blocks. i would suggest the seals aren't needed as often as they would be on a fork, which is still not very often.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I did the service twice. For the first year you don’t need the foam blocks and seals. Just put some new Fox oil in it as described. For more info pm me if needed

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello to All,

I bought my supercaliber two months ago.
It's really a super bike ;) But the paint is really a shame

It sould be cover by the guarantee but I have few hope....
I am the only one with that kind of problems ?
I've seen this on 2 bikes already in different places. Go to LBS, put under warranty - you'll get a pick of a new frame (if this happens on the rear triangle, they'll just replace the triangle).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Take this as a grain of salt, but from the looks of it, your chip does look like something caught your frame and if it didn't arrive at your dealer like that, then it would have been done post-purchase which I would consider being non-warranty. We look for manufacturing defects when claims are submitted, we need evidence of that to ensure we are reviewing a claim, but we try to assess all claims fairly. But let's be honest, your paint isn't crumbling, it is just one small unfortunate chip. I think some touch-up paint should just be added which then you could ride on without further concerns. Chips can happen so maybe even add some InvisiFrame or Ride Wrap if this is something that you worry about with your mountain bikes.
This looks like poor advice, AFAIK if you play with the paint manually or by a 3rd party - you're risking loosing the warranty - always do LBS and warranty procedures first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The BB92 Pressfit bottom bracket is a weak spot in terms of being subject to creaks. Mine was creaky most of the year and got worse as the season went on. Mine is in the shop right now to get it addressed. Probably something like a Wheels Manufacturing BB should help. I've had good success with them on other bikes with creaky BBs.

Wheels Manufacturing Shimano BB86/92 Bottom Bracket | Trek Bikes

I also had the clutch go on my Eagle AXS rear derailleur. Shop is also looking at this and I am anticipating it will be addressed under warranty but we'll see. It did not take any big hits that I'm aware of. I just noticed I had a bunch more slain slack than I should when I was changing tires last week.
Common knowledge, but we'll throw it in here: make sure it's not the pedal/pedal axles. Moving on, I haven't seen an LSB that wouldn't over-torque the bearings, they will creak when that happens and they will wear out more quickly. You can fix that by getting a rubber mallet and just hit the crank arms from both sides to loosen them. A bearing check might be needed, TREK BB bearings cannot go all-in:

381 - 400 of 406 Posts