Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like the new 2020 remedy is available. Have there been any changes compared to the 2019 model other than color and handlebar length?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has anyone ridden the 8 vs 9.8? If so, how do they compare? Is there a large difference between the 2 models? I understand the differences on paper but i'm just wondering if the carbon frame and upgraded parts make a significant difference to the riding experience (especially the thru-shaft shock)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Has anyone ridden the 8 vs 9.8? If so, how do they compare? Is there a large difference between the 2 models? I understand the differences on paper but i'm just wondering if the carbon frame and upgraded parts make a significant difference to the riding experience (especially the thru-shaft shock)
I am interested to hear about this as well. I have a couple/few thousand miles on my 2018 remedy 8 which I love, but it's a little heavy for long rides. I am thinking about going to the 9.8. The 2019 9.8 is listed as 28.5 pounds and the 2020 9.8 is listed at 29.8 pounds which is also confusing since they're pretty much the same bike except for the 2019 has rockshox suspension and the 2020 has fox. My 2018 is about 31 pounds tubeless with pedals.

·
Registered
303 Posts
There is no way you feel feel the difference in weight between the models! If this is your only reason to upgrade, then its an absolute waste of money....

·
Registered
651 Posts
So I have not been on the 8 long enough to make any meaningful comment on how it compares. Here is my XL 9.8 being weighed in the shop. No pedals, tubeless. I don't see from the spec sheet how the new one can be more than 1/2 a lb difference. The tubes these come with are MEATY so keep that in mind whichever one you test. I can't remember exactly but each tube was 300ish grams. I also seem to recall that the CF wheels plus SE4s were about a wash with the aluminum wheels and XR4s. So if you want to run heavier tires, that might bear consideration.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I decided to get a 2020 Remedy 8. I should have it next week so i'll report how it compares to my 2017 FEX 8 27.5+.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congrats :) Gotta love new bike day!

No, pretty sure it's the same frame with new paint.

Thanks! i can't wait. Apparently the new bike is in but the shop is still waiting for the hub upgrade parts to be delivered. Hopefully I'll have the bike with the hub upgrade by end of the week.

·
Registered
169 Posts
my opinion, if you already have the 2019 remedy, there is probably not a lot of benefit upgrading for a few spec changes, most of us make a few upgrades on the things we want changed along the way anyway.

But those that dont have a remedy , yes go for it .

·
Community Manager at Trek
417 Posts
Hey Mitch, according to the trek website the 2020 remedy 9.8 and 9.9 are both about 1.5 pounds heavier than the 2019 versions. Is that correct? Thanks in advance!
I always say that weight specs are subject to inaccuracy as sometimes different parts can change the scales. For this case though, component changes do affect the weight.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow I'm very impressed with my new remedy. I've had it on 2 rides so far and Its just so stable on the descents and climbs very well. So glad I decided to get the remedy over the fuel. My previous bike is a 07 FEX 8 27.5+ and I'd say it climbs slightly better and is much better downhill.

I'd post a picture but I can't seem to figure out how to. I resized the image below 1MB and it still won't attach.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Wow I'm very impressed with my new remedy. I've had it on 2 rides so far and Its just so stable on the descents and climbs very well. So glad I decided to get the remedy over the fuel. My previous bike is a 07 FEX 8 27.5+ and I'd say it climbs slightly better and is much better downhill.

I'd post a picture but I can't seem to figure out how to. I resized the image below 1MB and it still won't attach.
Nice one!:thumbsup:

Which model did you get? I recently bought the 2019 Remedy 8 and agree with your assessment. It's an absolute beast ploughing through the rough stuff and on the descents. A real fun bike. Initially felt like a tank compared to my 2014 Fuel Ex8 but it pedals very well and I'm loving the extra travel and the 2.6 tyres make it extra plush.

(Sorry I know this is the 2020 Remedy thread but apparently they only changed the paint colour from the 2019 model. :) )

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice one!:thumbsup:

Which model did you get? I recently bought the 2019 Remedy 8 and agree with your assessment. It's an absolute beast ploughing through the rough stuff and on the descents. A real fun bike. Initially felt like a tank compared to my 2014 Fuel Ex8 but it pedals very well and I'm loving the extra travel and the 2.6 tyres make it extra plush.

(Sorry I know this is the 2020 Remedy thread but apparently they only changed the paint colour from the 2019 model. :) )
I got the Remedy 8. What a bike... i can't see myself ever wanting to get a new bike. Its that much fun.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts