Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

901 - 920 of 963 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
I got the XXL and have ridden about 25 miles of trails and love it. First bike I have had that actually feels good to ride. Only minor issue I am having is some hand soreness, but that may be due being off the bike for a while and/or to the small stock grips. I have always used ODI Rogue so ordered a set with black with red rings to match bike. See how that goes. Drop from saddle to bars is minimal (<1").
yeah ditch them. i love esi chunkys

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Only minor issue I am having is some hand soreness, but that may be due being off the bike for a while and/or to the small stock grips.
Everybody has their own favorite grips, but I've got a wonky left hand, and I've settled on Wolftooth Fat Paws for all my bikes.

When I ride bikes even briefly with narrow, lock-on grips it does not feel comfy at all.

Have fun with the new bike!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I got rid of the bontrager grips real fast.

Oury lock on for me. Thinking of going back to a push on grip though, as I think they are a bit softer.

·
Registered
95 Posts
That is no good, they can be pressed in after applying a bearing compound such as green Loctite 638, but I would submit a warranty claim for this first so we can look at replacement options which would be an easy replacement option for you.
How are warranty replacements going in these days of lacking supply?

Would I be waiting 6+ months for a new frame / chainstay / bike ?

Or do you have a supply of things set aside just for warranty replacements? Maybe some sort of priority system?

·
Community Manager at Trek
417 Posts
How are warranty replacements going in these days of lacking supply?

Would I be waiting 6+ months for a new frame / chainstay / bike ?

Or do you have a supply of things set aside just for warranty replacements? Maybe some sort of priority system?
Depends on the part and demand. But chainstays/seatstays for the Fuel EX are in stock so these are readily available for claims if they are to be sent out.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yep..I'm an idiot...had my first creek today and was pretty sure it was the seatpost. Not thinking about the dropper I simply loosened the seatpost clamp and pulled up....not good. Well, I did get to grease the seatpost and re-install it, but now when any weight is applied it drops as if the cable is being pulled. Guess I need to take it to the shop.

·
Pizzaiolo Americano
223 Posts
Yep..I'm an idiot...had my first creek today and was pretty sure it was the seatpost. Not thinking about the dropper I simply loosened the seatpost clamp and pulled up....not good. Well, I did get to grease the seatpost and re-install it, but now when any weight is applied it drops as if the cable is being pulled. Guess I need to take it to the shop.
You have pulled the post away from the cable outer for the dropper. This basically adds too much tension to the inner cable and causes it to drop the post. Anytime you move the post up, you should make sure that you are keeping pressure on the cable outer upwards so it doesn't slip out. I usually take me lever off of the bar when doing this so it has some slack. Try pushing on the dropper outer cable where it goes in to the frame and see if it moves towards the post and will reseat itself. Or, and if it were mine, I would take the dropper lever off of the bars, leaving the cable installed as is. Then push the cable outer through the frame until you can get the post out and see the junction with the post. Once you get it rest, push the post while holding the dropper lever so it can't engage and lightly pull the cable back out of the frame. If you do this properly, it will keep everything as one unit. If it helps, think about the dropper, cable and lever as one entire unit. You are trying to get it through the frame and up the seat tube without separating anything. If the cable tie on the control freak unit is too tight, this can cause this way to fail. You can cut the tie but be aware, it can be a PITA to get back in there...

·
Registered
210 Posts
So riding more and more and love the bike. I have posted in a couple other forums about an question but not this one which is probably the most obvious one to post in...been riding rear shock in full open every ride. Super plush but feels kinda mushy - sinking down into travel over some sections. I was considering volume spacers but I have never bottomed out the rear shock - just need a little more progression as I go into the travel. So that tells me I need more air pressure to get more compression dampening....and then I remembered I run it in full open. Trails are very quick steep ups and downs with lots of square edge tree roots. What is the concensus of middle setting with slightly lower pressure or open setting with slightly higher pressure????? 2021 Reaktiv that comes on EX 8. Thanks!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have the rebound at 4-5 clicks from slowest. I would think having less rebound dampening would make it 'bouncy' and buck over square edge impacts, but maybe I am confused. Thanks!!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Go through a section that you feel the shock is packing up on and turn a click of the rebound, then run it again. Do this a few times to see if you notice a difference in the rebound speed. Eventually you will have it dialed to your liking.

·
Pizzaiolo Americano
223 Posts
So riding more and more and love the bike. I have posted in a couple other forums about an question but not this one which is probably the most obvious one to post in...been riding rear shock in full open every ride. Super plush but feels kinda mushy - sinking down into travel over some sections. I was considering volume spacers but I have never bottomed out the rear shock - just need a little more progression as I go into the travel. So that tells me I need more air pressure to get more compression dampening....and then I remembered I run it in full open. Trails are very quick steep ups and downs with lots of square edge tree roots. What is the concensus of middle setting with slightly lower pressure or open setting with slightly higher pressure????? 2021 Reaktiv that comes on EX 8. Thanks!
The shock is going to react that way in full open mode. I only use full open mode for sustained, technical descents. When I lived in Italy and rode regularly in the mountains, I still used the middle position most often. I'd use the Trek suspension calculator and set your shock and fork at the recommended settings. Put the bike in the middle and see how if feels. From there, you can make adjustments.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The shock is going to react that way in full open mode. I only use full open mode for sustained, technical descents. When I lived in Italy and rode regularly in the mountains, I still used the middle position most often. I'd use the Trek suspension calculator and set your shock and fork at the recommended settings. Put the bike in the middle and see how if feels. From there, you can make adjustments.
Thanks...that is how the bike is set up as we speak waiting for my next ride tomorrow. IF it doesn't feel good then I may try a spacer in the shock. The Trek rep did message me and advised the spacer will help some with mid stroke ramp, but I would probably still need to ride in middle setting. I forgot it is a bike designed for sustained climbs all the way to knarly descents. As I am in the middle ot those two I guess my suspension should be in the middle as well. Thanks!!!

·
417 Posts
@[email protected]

Hey Mitch, what makes the updated 2021 chainstay incompatible with a 2020 frame?
Did someone ever say the 2021 chainstay was incompatible with the 2020 frame? I haven't been able to find anything that says they are not compatible online or internally. So, IMO, they would be compatible with MY2020 frames. I am researching this with the product team to confirm my opinion though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Did someone ever say the 2021 chainstay was incompatible with the 2020 frame? I haven't been able to find anything that says they are not compatible online or internally. So, IMO, they would be compatible with MY2020 frames. I am researching this with the product team to confirm my opinion though.
My bike is at the shop for a warranty stay.

Trek sent a 2021 stay. They shop said they spoke to someone at Trek that told them they are incompatable but couldn't say why.

I would rather have the 2021 stay because of they improved ring clearance.

·
417 Posts
My bike is at the shop for a warranty stay.

Trek sent a 2021 stay. They shop said they spoke to someone at Trek that told them they are incompatable but couldn't say why.

I would rather have the 2021 stay because of they improved ring clearance.
Have your shop attempt to install it if they can. I'd love their feedback if it does fit, as so far, I have yet to get an answer.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Don't think Trek sells front triangles on their own anymore - switched in MY 15/16 if I recall. Even front triangle warranties get a new frame w/ shock from everything I've seen. Royal treatment IMO!

901 - 920 of 963 Posts