Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

881 - 900 of 963 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

Keen for a super deluxe upgrade.

Does anyone have the trek recommended base tune for the rockshox shock. I know there are quite. A few variants so want to make sure I get the right one.

Thanks in advanced

·
Registered
15 Posts
If anyone is wondering how much dropper you can really fit on one of these, I am happy to report that I successfully fitted a one up v2 dropper with the 2.1 actuator in 210mm length with the collar slammed to the seat tube on a M/L size frame and it functions flawlessly.

One of the early reviews claim that max dropper insertion was 280mm on this M/L frame, but I measured beforehand and hit nothing at like 306mm so I decided to give it a try with the one up v2. This does have the lowest insertion length currently of any dropper and lowest stack height as well. Max insertion on this post for the 210mm model is listed as 297mm with actuator (the actuator is 15mm long).

Given that I ride a M/L frame, I can't physically use all 210mm of drop, so I've got it shimmed down to 190mm and my seat is at perfect pedalling height for me with the collar of the dropper slammed to the seat tube.

Edit: if anyone is searching, I'll add this. 2020 Trek Fuel EX M/L maximum seatpost insertion depth is over 297mm and will fit one up v2 210mm dropper. 297mm includes the actuator.

·
Registered
93 Posts
So, this is happening.

20201220_192726.jpg

Still waiting a couple things(second crown race and star nut tool), so I haven't ridden it yet. I just wanted to toss it on and see how it looks.

May be overkill, but with my son on the mac-ride we total almost 260 pounds, and growing.

Should feel nice.

It's beefy.

20201220_191907.jpg

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
5,962 Posts
This has probably been covered repeatedly (I searched!), but does anyone know the real frame and shock weight of a medium EX carbon frame?
Thanks!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Test rode both XL and XXL 8 today. XL seemed really fun.....XXL a little more subdued. Same shop different locations. One had XL and one had XXL. Both think their size is the correct size. 6'4" and 36" inseam. Not sure what to do at this point. Trails are tight singletrack. No long descents or climbs. The bike overall seemed great!!! I am right between sizes. Funny thing is Trek website says XXL is for 6'4.8" and above but when I enter 6'4" and 36" inseam in says XXL. One thing to note - on the XXL we almost had to slam the dropper all the way down to get saddle to correct height - 32" from BB to top of saddle. Thoughts??

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Test rode both XL and XXL 8 today. XL seemed really fun.....XXL a little more subdued. Same shop different locations. One had XL and one had XXL. Both think their size is the correct size. 6'4" and 36" inseam. Not sure what to do at this point. Trails are tight singletrack. No long descents or climbs. The bike overall seemed great!!! I am right between sizes. Funny thing is Trek website says XXL is for 6'4.8" and above but when I enter 6'4" and 36" inseam in says XXL. One thing to note - on the XXL we almost had to slam the dropper all the way down to get saddle to correct height - 32" from BB to top of saddle. Thoughts??
I hate all the "I'm between sizes" carping, but I kind of think you're between sizes. Normally I'd say XXL no question. I'm 6' 1" with a 31.5" inseam and like the XL.

If I woke up tomorrow and somebody said my bike has to be a little bigger or smaller -- choose now! -- I'd actually go a little bigger.

It's interesting that your legs are 36" with a recommended saddle height of 32" while my numbers are 31.5" and 30.9".

·
Registered
210 Posts
My inseam is 36" and my current bike BB to top of saddle is 32". I am just using that as a starting point to set up new bike. I assume you are younger and like to 'race' your bikes. If I wanted to race I would want a more stretched out position as well, but being 49 and history of neck issues, I am trying to get more of an upright position. Correct me if I am wrong, but the bigger bike cannot be made shorter, but the smaller one can be by adding 10mm longer stem. The shorter stack of the XL can be made up with by changing 27mm rise bars to 40mm rise bars. I am not set on the XL, just going thru all scenarios. In addition need to check out S5 stumpjumper and XL Tallboy. The XL tallboy has about same reach as XL Fuel, but much higher stack.

·
Pizzaiolo Americano
223 Posts
My inseam is 36" and my current bike BB to top of saddle is 32". I am just using that as a starting point to set up new bike. I assume you are younger and like to 'race' your bikes. If I wanted to race I would want a more stretched out position as well, but being 49 and history of neck issues, I am trying to get more of an upright position. Correct me if I am wrong, but the bigger bike cannot be made shorter, but the smaller one can be by adding 10mm longer stem. The shorter stack of the XL can be made up with by changing 27mm rise bars to 40mm rise bars. I am not set on the XL, just going thru all scenarios. In addition need to check out S5 stumpjumper and XL Tallboy. The XL tallboy has about same reach as XL Fuel, but much higher stack.
All good points and all true. I will add one more. If you wait much longer, with the current shortage of bikes, someone is going to make this decision for you by buying the other bike...

·
Registered
210 Posts
All good points and all true. I will add one more. If you wait much longer, with the current shortage of bikes, someone is going to make this decision for you by buying the other bike...
Thanks...but I am sure not going to rush because I might miss out on a bike and end up regretting it for years.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks...but I am sure not going to rush because I might miss out on a bike and end up regretting it for years.
I'm between L and XL for the Fuel Ex 2020 and decided for XL in September 2019. Did not regret it so far after 3000km. In fact it is the first bike I bought in XL. If you are between sizes both will work for you and it is preference. If you want to be more agile take the xl if you do more longer tours take XXL. I believe I personally would follow the recommendation on the page if you said both are generally working for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Go with the xl. I have the same inseam as you and also 49. Really happy with my EX

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am 6'1.

The machine the bike shop had suggested a large.

On paper I could have fit an XL.

But they only had a L for me to test ride, that plus the machine suggesting a L persuaded me to order a L.

After only a few months I found myself wishing I had got an XL. I feel just a bit cramped on the bike.

It's gotten to the point that I am considering ordering an XL frame to swap all my stuff over to, then selling off the L.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am 6'1.

The machine the bike shop had suggested a large.

On paper I could have fit an XL.

But they only had a L for me to test ride, that plus the machine suggesting a L persuaded me to order a L.

After only a few months I found myself wishing I had got an XL. I feel just a bit cramped on the bike.

It's gotten to the point that I am considering offering an XL frame to swap all my stuff over to, then selling off the L.
Agree. I got a ML and really think I'd rather be on a large.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Anyone riding a 2021 Fuel EX 9.8GX?? Thoughts? I have access to an XL.....kind of an upgrade from the EX 8 GX I was considering. Not really concerned with XT vs. GX. I have had XT for years and years on my mtn bikes....SRAM Red on Road Bike. Both function great. And we are only talking about changing a shifter, dr, and cassette in the future if I change my mind.....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Anyone riding a 2021 Fuel EX 9.8GX?? Thoughts? I have access to an XL.....kind of an upgrade from the EX 8 GX I was considering. Not really concerned with XT vs. GX. I have had XT for years and years on my mtn bikes....SRAM Red on Road Bike. Both function great. And we are only talking about changing a shifter, dr, and cassette in the future if I change my mind.....
I have the 2020 9.8 GX if it helps.

·
Community Manager at Trek
413 Posts
Anyone else having problems with their ABP bearings pushing out?

This is the third time I've found this since the spring.

It's going to go back to the shop this time.
That is no good, they can be pressed in after applying a bearing compound such as green Loctite 638, but I would submit a warranty claim for this first so we can look at replacement options which would be an easy replacement option for you.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I got the XXL and have ridden about 25 miles of trails and love it. First bike I have had that actually feels good to ride. Only minor issue I am having is some hand soreness, but that may be due being off the bike for a while and/or to the small stock grips. I have always used ODI Rogue so ordered a set with black with red rings to match bike. See how that goes. Drop from saddle to bars is minimal (<1").

881 - 900 of 963 Posts